UA to La Crosse, WI

Old Apr 19, 17, 4:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
UA to La Crosse, WI

Any thoughts on where to fly into - and drive I'm guessing? Trains in the US, likely a terrible idea?
thatguyoverthere is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Posts: 1,647
Fly into Minneapolis (MSP) or Milwaukee(MKE).

Also, you may be able to get slightly closer at Eau Claire (EAU) or Wausau (CWA)


Then rent a car.
We don't do trains. 'Murica

If you would consider American Airlines, they have a direct flight from Chicago (ORD) direct to La Crosse (LSE) for about $209 round trip.

Last edited by LordHamster; Apr 19, 17 at 4:27 pm
LordHamster is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:28 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,608
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere View Post
Any thoughts on where to fly into - and drive I'm guessing? Trains in the US, likely a terrible idea?
UA just announced service to Rochester, MN (RST), which is probably the closest airport with UA service. Madison (MSN) is quite a bit closer than Milwaukee.

Amtrak does have a train that serves Chicago, Milwaukee, La Crosse, and then on to Minneapolis. Intermodal connections tend to be complicated in the US; it's unusual to be able to exit the airport and get right onto a train. Renting a car will be easiest.
jsloan is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 156
On June 8th United starts 3x daily service to Rochester, MN (from ORD). It's about an hour drive to Lacrosse from there. Really easy airport too.
MCIUnitedGuy is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Posts: 1,647
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy View Post
On June 8th United starts 3x daily service to Rochester, MN (from ORD). It's about an hour drive to Lacrosse from there. Really easy airport too.
Great point, forgot about that one.
LordHamster is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Amtrak does have a train that serves Chicago, Milwaukee, La Crosse, and then on to Minneapolis. Intermodal connections tend to be complicated in the US; it's unusual to be able to exit the airport and get right onto a train. Renting a car will be easiest.
Here's the route if you want to stick to the train from Chicago (ORD) to La Crosse, WI. La Crosse is one of the few cities in Wisconsin that has Amtrak service.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/O'Ha...013556!3e3!5i3
MostlyAir is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere View Post
Any thoughts on where to fly into - and drive I'm guessing? Trains in the US, likely a terrible idea?


Where are you originating from?
and
What is important to you? First Class or just getting to your final destination?


Closet UA served airport would be EAU (via CRJ 200) followed by MSP, MSN, and CWA.


If you want a nice drive fly into MSP then drive down highway 61 along the river.
sosptuba is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SFO, SJC when UA has a flight there
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,584
Originally Posted by MostlyAir View Post
Here's the route if you want to stick to the train from Chicago (ORD) to La Crosse, WI. La Crosse is one of the few cities in Wisconsin that has Amtrak service.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/O'Ha...013556!3e3!5i3
There's direct access to Amtrak at MKE as well.
JAaronT is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by sosptuba View Post


Closet UA served airport would be EAU (via CRJ 200) followed by MSP, MSN, and CWA.


If you want a nice drive fly into MSP then drive down highway 61 along the river.
RST is definitely closer than all of those (assuming OP is flying after June 8 and then assuming that the route isn't abandoned by United, so probably a 3 months safety net? RIP DTW-RST on DAL).

MSP to La Crosse on Hwy 61 is a beautiful drive. At least one respectable winery along the way too.
MCIUnitedGuy is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 4:54 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,782
It sounds like OP is traveling from outside the US. If you arrive in Chicago, the transfer from ORD to Union Station (Amtrak) is a trial -- very difficult by public transport. Best to fly up to Rochester or even La Crosse itself (on AA or DL, not UA). If you can arrange to arrive in Minneapolis (via DL most likely), it's easiest to forget about the connecting flight to La Crosse, hire a car at MSP, and drive. Pretty countryside, less than three hours.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 5:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 867
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere View Post
Any thoughts on where to fly into - and drive I'm guessing? Trains in the US, likely a terrible idea?
Much easier to fly to the city itself. I would do one of two things.

1) Fly into ORD or MSP on UA and then buy a separate ticket from MSP-LSE (on DL) or ORD-LSE (on AA). RT prices vary from $150-$250, so pick whichever airline is cheaper for the day you want to travel and then fly to that airport.

2) Fly into RST on UA and drive from there. UA starts service to RST on June 8 and it is about 1hr 15min drive. If you are flying before then, fly to EAU on UA and drive 1hr 45min.

Option 1 is more convenient, but if you have a ton of bags and don't want the hassle of making two reservations and having to check in again, then go with option 2.
DA201 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 6:17 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,580
Originally Posted by sosptuba View Post
Where are you originating from?
and
What is important to you? First Class or just getting to your final destination?


Closet UA served airport would be EAU (via CRJ 200) followed by MSP, MSN, and CWA.


If you want a nice drive fly into MSP then drive down highway 61 along the river.
Indeed, it's a beautiful drive once you get beyond the Metro area with (as someone pointed out above) some wineries. Google Great River Road Wine Trail. You can drive with on either side of the river, with a few bridges along the way.

If you want to try the train, If you fly into MSP, there's light rail service from the airport to the train station in St Paul, although you must switch trains once, on the same platform, on the edge of Minneapolis. The light rail stop for the train station is right in front of the building, so that the total walk would be about one block on that end, although it's a somewhat longer walk to the light rail at MSP. [There's no train station in Minneapolis.] The train station is a beautifully restored historic building along the river. When I've been there, it's been empty.

From Milwaukee airport to the train station, you would probably want to take a taxi although there might be some public buses. Many trains from Chicago require a change in Milwaukee IITC.

The drive from Madison isn't bad either, although there's a lot of road construction there as well as lots of traffic. It's also a beautiful drive
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On the Road Again
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 740
MSN is close, modern and very reasonable.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:24 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,341
RST is the most convenient UA airport to La Crosse.


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you want to try the train, If you fly into MSP, there's light rail service from the airport to the train station in St Paul, although you must switch trains once, on the same platform, on the edge of Minneapolis. The light rail stop for the train station is right in front of the building, so that the total walk would be about one block on that end, although it's a somewhat longer walk to the light rail at MSP. [There's no train station in Minneapolis.] The train station is a beautifully restored historic building along the river. When I've been there, it's been empty.
Don't try this unless you want to overnight in MSP.

The daily train is scheduled to leave Saint Paul at 8AM, you would need to be departing MSP by taxi/uber no later than 7:30AM, I don't believe UA has an arrival prior to 7AM. From Chicago the train is a 2:15PM departure, if attempting this skip the public transit option if carrying heavy bags. Blue Line to Clinton is easy but stairs and three block walk isn't.
Exiled in Express is offline  
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:57 pm
  #15  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 85
My neck of the woods. I agree if you can get into Rochester MN that is an easy drive over to LaCrosse.

There is also a large private bus option, "Trailways" that has a stop at RST airport and a couple stops in LaCrosse (or La Crosse)

use this link and with "Rochester Arpt, MN" and "La Crosse, WI" with the space for the search...
https://webstore.trailways.com/

Last edited by john c wisconsin; Apr 19, 17 at 10:39 pm Reason: updated hyperlink not tied to expired search
john c wisconsin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread