Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Communication with MP Members after incident?

Old Apr 19, 17, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN

Did I miss something? Has United communicated in any way with Mileage Plus Members as follow up to all of the very bad press lately?

I have read that they reached out to corporate clients, but have you gotten any communication rom United?

It seems to me that active Mileage Plus members - many of whom have been critical but very loyal to United through thick and thin, would be a good resource for support. Look at the huge number of comments (5,000+) on several FT threads lately.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
There was an email correspondent sent out from Oscar. As a 1K I received it. My parents being general members did not receive it. Not sure of what levels of status received it or not.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm a 1K and haven't received any email. Classic UA IT
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yes there was an e-mail with subject "A note from United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz"; my copy arrived 18 April 02:04 UTC. It was sent to my MileagePlus e-mail address on file and included my MP# (obscured) in the text.

It's possible that people who have opted out of marketing communications might not have gotten it?
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
UA has released numerous statements, but I have not received any communication personally as a Mpg+ member, but I don't necessarily expect to. I'm confident they will make modifications to their existing protocols so as to avoid an incident like this from ever occurring again.

http://newsroom.united.com/
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Oscar sent an e-mail to what he said were "important" customers. That went out to GS folks about a week ago. A few days ago it went to some 1Ks (not all report getting it). Others are not important enough.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:53 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
Oscar sent an e-mail to what he said were "important" customers. That went out to GS folks about a week ago. A few days ago it went to some 1Ks (not all report getting it). Others are not important enough.
I don't think it's a matter of 'importance', but rather what communication settings you've opted for or against. I didn't receive any communication about this incident directly, but I have opted out of almost every communication except booking confirmations etc.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Mine was dated April 13th. Well done IMHO. Oscar and his team have taken the right steps after the terrible start.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Do people really feel slighted if they didn't get an email? I didn't get one, and I didn't think about it until I saw this thread. Once I post, I probably won't think about it again.

Last edited by zrs70; Apr 19, 17 at 9:45 am
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I'm GS and got mine April 13, my wife is 1K and got it yesterday.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:59 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The message sent by the CEO to GS level customers went out on 14 April and is discussed in the main incident thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post28177814

UA sent a similar message to some 1K customers on 17 April, and is discussed starting at this page: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...017-a-409.html

As in the past when some UA communications went out to large groups of UA elites, they have gone out in waves.
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
Yes. 1Ks got same e-mail as GS, but several days later. A measure of our relative importance to UA. As for the rest of you . . . .
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Do people really feel slighted if this didn't get an email? I didn't get one, and I didn't think about it until I saw this thread. Once I post, I probably won't think about it again.
Does it surprise you after reading some of the comments/attitude here at FT? Some people are actively looking for reasons to be slighted because the DYKWIA is strong with them.
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
1K and got it on the 17th.. Not sure if anyone not GS or 1K got one?

TBH it is a bit indicative that United still doesn't totally "get it". I can see no reason NOT to contact simply anyone who has a MP account and has flown in the past year. How could that hurt? If anything those who fly less frequently but still show some signs of loyalty should be courted to come back. I guess they went for the low hanging fruit.

As far as DYKWIA goes, they encourage it. Just more of United treating everyone like they're the popular girl at school. GS is Johnny football hero who takes her to prom, 1Ks are the nerds who help her with her homework and get thrown a smile or hug here and there, and everyone else is "who are you again?"
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Do people really feel slighted if this didn't get an email? I didn't get one, and I didn't think about it until I saw this thread. Once I post, I probably won't think about it again.
Same here.

What do people want to see in such an email that hasn't been communicated elsewhere and/or that won't be criticized as canned, insincere, too little too late, etc.? (Unless people are expecting UA to throw a bunch of miles at everyone for "goodwill" .)

I get enough useless emails from corporations already.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: