Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

do I really not have to include UA miles/awards on my tax return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do I really not have to include UA miles/awards on my tax return?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As a general rule in the USA anything you receive in any form is taxable unless there is an exemption or a deferral. I cannot remember why for customers the FF programs are not taxable (as before I moved to the USA) but there is a regulation (Treasury) or ruling (IRS) that provides an exemption for the customer.

For the employees of the airline the taxation of an employer provided fringe benefit depends upon whether it is a no cost (or falls within a certain discount percentage) and then it is an exempt (non taxable) fringe benefit to the employee.

The rules in other countries are unique to each country.

The above is not tax advice, just for informational purposes only (and probably far more information than you wanted).
I think the original argument was FF benefits are reflected in or derived from the price of the tickets from which the benefits were earned. There probably was little appetite for trying to figure out if those tickets were tax deductible or not and segregating them.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As a general rule in the USA anything you receive in any form is taxable unless there is an exemption or a deferral. I cannot remember why for customers the FF programs are not taxable (as before I moved to the USA) but there is a regulation (Treasury) or ruling (IRS) that provides an exemption for the customer.
Miles received as part of travel are considered a rebate or additional service provided for the cost of the original ticket, and therefore not taxable. The IRS takes the position that you are purchasing the miles with part of your airfare, so they aren't income (and aren't considered a capital asset either).

If you receive miles from a source where you didn't pay for them (CC use counts as "paying" because you're doing business with the bank), then you realize ordinary income.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:07 am
Suspended

How do you report something in tax return that you don't have a 1099 statement for?
Old May 19, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can report it as Miscellaneous/Other income (2019 Form 1040, Schedule 1, line 8) just as if you got one. However, most taxable sources of miles (sweepstakes, Bug Bounty, etc.) also generate a 1099-MISC. The UA employees on the other thread were having the severance miles added to their W-2 as compensation income.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Mama like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.