FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1837426-glass-found-ice-cream-so-no-sundaes-business-some-back-2-june-2017-a.html)

texas gold Apr 16, 2017 5:35 am

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Just finished an AMS-ORD trip in Polaris Business and was told that the sundaes are temporarily not available due to glass breakage issues with the serving globes. According to our flight attendant, the new globe serving bowls were cracking and left shards of glass in the ice cream therefore the sundae sevice was removed. In its place however was the economy class ice cream in paper cups with no toppings. Anyone else experiment this?

Xyzzy Apr 16, 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by texas gold (Post 28185662)
In its place however was the economy class ice cream in paper cups with no toppings. Anyone else experiment this?

Yes - I have. I passed on the ice cream but thought it looked just like the whY ice cream and wondered how anyone thought a paper cup of ice cream (vs. ice cream in a bowl) fit in with the :other dessert items being served.

fivesixseven Apr 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by texas gold (Post 28185662)
Just finished an AMS-ORD trip in Polaris Business and was told that the sundaes are temporarily not available due to glass breakage issues with the serving globes. According to our flight attendant, the new globe serving bowls were cracking and left shards of glass in the ice cream therefore the sundae sevice was removed. In its place however was the economy class ice cream in paper cups with no toppings. Anyone else experiment this?

On my AMS-IAD flight last Thursday we had the sundae.

Jigen666 Apr 18, 2017 5:20 am

We found glass in the ice cream, so no sundaes in business class until we fix this.

Was on United 33 NRT-LAX, 4/17 in Business Class (won't call it Polaris until they actually have Polaris seats in the cabin).

Flight was fine, service was extra-nice. But sadly they did not serve ice-cream sundaes, as they have for many years on this route. Instead they served vanilla ice-cream from pre-packaged cups (some Japanese brand, don't remember the name), and no toppings to go with it. Also offered a group of delicious petite-fours (both Japanese and Western Style) as well.

When I inquired with the FA why the Ice Cream Sundae's were not being served, she said that they discovered glass in one of the Vanilla Ice Cream Containers, and not wanting to risk anything, they discontinued serving it until they had assurances it was safe again to serve.

Anybody else experience this?

UAinAUS Apr 18, 2017 5:29 am

There have been multiple reports in the Let's Eat and Polaris threads. Sundae service has been pulled from all flights until issue resolved :(

segiddins Apr 18, 2017 5:53 am

If they're serving pre-packaged ice cream, I don't see why they couldn't continue doing the sundae service in compostable cardboard bowls. Wouldn't that be preferable?

Jigen666 Apr 18, 2017 5:57 am

Originally Posted by segiddins (Post 28194952)
If they're serving pre-packaged ice cream, I don't see why they couldn't continue doing the sundae service in compostable cardboard bowls. Wouldn't that be preferable?

I'm not sure the if glass was from the bowl, but from the ice cream itself. The FA made it sound like the problem was from the Ice Cream maker. I could have been mistaken though.

Xyzzy Apr 18, 2017 6:04 am

I had heard that the new ice cream bowls were cracking, likely due to the extreme cold involved. The ice cream UA served in the past was pre-portioned int:) glass bowls and then kept cool with dry ice. The new bowls were not as heavy as the old ones. Between the extreme cold and the bouncing around during the trip from the catering facility to the plane there is plenty of opportunity for bumps and bounces - and therefore breakage.

qukslvr619 Apr 18, 2017 6:45 am

I figured it was only a matter of time until they would run into an issue with the bowls. The design was awesome, but I'm sure after repeated use, washing, packing, transport, etc, they would be prone to some sort of breakage. Hopefully they will come up with some solution that isn't just the standard boring sundae bowls; incidentally those sundae bowls came about because they were using the standard BusinessFirst glasses which were breaking because of the same issue.

t325 Apr 18, 2017 6:50 am

Damn, flying J for the first time 2 weeks from today and was looking forward to the sundae the most.

Okay, not really, I'm more looking forward to the lie-flat bed and legroom, but the sundae was nice too

lhrsfo Apr 18, 2017 7:00 am

Far better to be safe rather than sorry.

Manospeed Apr 18, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Jigen666 (Post 28194866)
Was on United 33 NRT-LAX, 4/17 in Business Class (won't call it Polaris until they actually have Polaris seats in the cabin).

Flight was fine, service was extra-nice. But sadly they did not serve ice-cream sundaes, as they have for many years on this route. Instead they served vanilla ice-cream from pre-packaged cups (some Japanese brand, don't remember the name), and no toppings to go with it. Also offered a group of delicious petite-fours (both Japanese and Western Style) as well.

When I inquired with the FA why the Ice Cream Sundae's were not being served, she said that they discovered glass in one of the Vanilla Ice Cream Containers, and not wanting to risk anything, they discontinued serving it until they had assurances it was safe again to serve.

Anybody else experience this?

Flew in Polaris class in November to Germany and had an ice cream sundae with no issues back then, nor have I heard anything about this.

Kacee Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am

Oh wow my GF is going to be bummed on Friday. The sundae is the only UA food she likes.

Manospeed Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 28195105)
I figured it was only a matter of time until they would run into an issue with the bowls. The design was awesome, but I'm sure after repeated use, washing, packing, transport, etc, they would be prone to some sort of breakage. Hopefully they will come up with some solution that isn't just the standard boring sundae bowls; incidentally those sundae bowls came about because they were using the standard BusinessFirst glasses which were breaking because of the same issue.

They should switch to metal or plastic bowls instead of glass, but I understand their desire to use glass as a more 'premium' material.

fumje Apr 18, 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Manospeed (Post 28195601)
They should switch to metal or plastic bowls instead of glass, but I understand their desire to use glass as a more 'premium' material.

It seems like it should be possible to transport/store the ice cream in single-serving disposable packaging and stock bowls the same way other glassware is done. I imagine that is a bit more prep-intensive for the FA's, though.