Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This was the old bowl:

Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Free Agent
My bowl had vertical opaque/milky stripes of some sort. The bowl face was "tilted" towards you. Seems like they got a new replacement already?

Last edited by Condition One; Jun 2, 2017 at 4:48 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
Sundaes are back!!! UA975 GVA-IAD today, and did a double take when I saw the ice cream cart roll by. Was told by the FA that it was the first day back. I don't remember what the old glass bowl looked like, so I couldn't compare what today's glass looked like.
Aw, and no pictures?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Condition One
My bowl had vertical opaque/milky stripes of some sort. The bowl face was "tilted" towards you. Seems like they got a new replacement already?
That sounds suspiciously similar to the December-through-April Polaris bowls. Pretty good work if they've commissioned new bowls with the same design already.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And I wonder how long this thread will live on showing how United doesn't understand customer service or how to run a business?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And I wonder how long this thread will live on showing how United doesn't understand customer service or how to run a business?
You are welcome to stick around and find out

However no, United does not understand customer service. The correct approach was to proactively email all customers with reservations in BF/Polaris and explain the sundaes were not available due to the safety issue with the glass bowls, apologize while recognizing how popular the sundaes are with customers, explain the substitute frozen dessert that would be offered, and provide some explanation around trying to source replacement bowls or ice cream so the sundaes will be back as soon as possible.

If it was my campaign, I would probably toss 500 miles or even attach a coupon for a free pint of ice cream from a partner brand that wanted a cross-promotion opportunity.

A service business would:

1. acknowledge the problem exists
2. apologize for the problem
3. offer a substitution
4. provide timely updates on fixing the problem
5. attach an incentive or reward to the announcement to deflect disappointment
6. exert strict centralized control over the messaging so field staff are not given the chance to blurt out nonsense gibberish that may deepen the disappointment or reflect negatively on the brand

It's not difficult to do - just the other day I received an email from Air Canada regarding my flight as the aircraft IFE system was not working and there was a chance it would be inoperative for my flight and they wanted to apologize up front if it was and make sure I had enough warning to download or bring my own entertainment for the flight. That was pretty useful proactive messaging from an airline everyone knows really sucks, so I think United could have done something similar.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:10 am

It's back!
Attached Images  
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: Free Agent
That's not the glass bowl I got yesterday. Guess they're still rolling it out. And I got two scoops
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Not yet on 03Jun UA872 TPE-SFO. The purser told me it's a multi-week roll-out system-wide.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

ORD-LHR yesterday (June 02) in Global First.

No sundae - not even a mention of it - or even ice cream - on the menu.

Dixie cup ice cream from Y provided.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen

A service business would:

1. acknowledge the problem exists
2. apologize for the problem
3. offer a substitution
4. provide timely updates on fixing the problem
5. attach an incentive or reward to the announcement to deflect disappointment
6. exert strict centralized control over the messaging so field staff are not given the chance to blurt out nonsense gibberish that may deepen the disappointment or reflect negatively on the brand
Blasting everyone an email is going to create more problems than it would solve. A certain portion of Polaris may not know/care/bother with the sundae, then they find out that there's an inflated expectation on the sundae and demand something.

1) It did and recalled the bowls.
2) It did to people who care enough to write in.
3) It did with other small cups of ice cream.
4) You didn't follow @UNITEDSundae ?
5) "Over entitled elites"
6) In a company of 10s of 1000s of employees what's the enforcement?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
ORD-LHR yesterday (June 02) in Global First.

No sundae - not even a mention of it - or even ice cream - on the menu.

Dixie cup ice cream from Y provided.
In GF and out of ORD. Shame on UA
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by adg1234
It's back!
That looks like the salad/soup bowls in domestic F.

It seems they could have just used that from the start "ice-cream-gate" (eh, I'll have to think of a better name)
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by eng3
That looks like the salad/soup bowls in domestic F.

It seems they could have just used that from the start "ice-cream-gate" (eh, I'll have to think of a better name)
Agreed.

A sundae in a bowl??

What the (blank) are they smoking??
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: united premier exec, hhonors diamond, priority club platinum elite
I'm so disappointed, my flights have been on time, early even, but still no sundaes lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.