Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It does not seem to impact the US premium cabins. Sundaes have been served in a different glassware. At least I had my Sundae a few days ago on a PS flight. Others may have updated information.

Edit to include update:

just saw saw a post in the Let's Eat Domestic Thread, and someone had ice cream tub on a regular domestic F cabin instead of Sundae. Not sure it affects PS flights.
Flying IAD-LAX last night, the FA was alerting passengers of the breaking glass issue as she passed out the Dixie Cups.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yesterday:
Cheesecake ice cream cup ICN-SFO
Mango sorbet cup SFO-IAH
I want my sundae!

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:04 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UK Stages
i was told the same thing HKG ---> EWR last friday when they served small cups of a local ice cream. my understanding, based on proactive flight attendant comments, was that the ice cream and the glass bowl were catered together as one unit from one vendor and that the vendor was haagen dazs.
I don't doubt the ice cream was Haagen Dazs at US kitchens, but at outstations the ice cream is usually whatever is available locally. Sometimes it's HD, other times it's Movenpick, 'generic', etc.

The ice cream scoops are portioned at the flight kitchen, placed into the bowls, and provisioned with dry ice. The returned bowls on the other end are sanitized and reused in the same process. Part of the issue comes when the ice cream is served too quickly after taking the bowls off dry ice, which causes it to be rock-hard. Pax then start use too much force to spoon out the ice cream, and the glass breaks. This is probably exacerbated by the shape of the bowls, as the opening is a bit smaller in circumference than the rest of the bowl at its fullest diameter. As qukslvr619 correctly notes, this was an issue when using the BF stemmed tumblers for the sundae service, leading to the sturdier and better-designed sundae glasses still used in the domestic network.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Bummer - the sundaes were my favorite part of United F/J catering Glad I got one when I flew home from NRT last week.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
No sundaes ex-TLV on Tuesday, or on PS to lax Tuesday night.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:15 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
The lack of sundaes is a temporary issue. Apparently the bowls were breaking off glass shards into the ice cream. So no sundaes until they can figure out a solution.
Really a sad excuse since they have been serving sundaes for over 5 years. That dixie cup that I received on BRU-EWR was pretty bad.

The two pieces of chocolate as a gift well... we flew from ACC-BRU on Brussels and they gave out a full box of chocolates.. Nice...

The UA FA's were the laziest group I have seen in a while. Did not even hand out bottled water, When I went to the back they grumbled -- like I was disturbing their conversation. Guess I was.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by texas gold
Just finished an AMS-ORD trip in Polaris Business and was told that the sundaes are temporarily not available due to glass breakage issues with the serving globes. According to our flight attendant, the new globe serving bowls were cracking and left shards of glass in the ice cream therefore the sundae sevice was removed. In its place however was the economy class ice cream in paper cups with no toppings. Anyone else experiment this?
Yes. My outbound from the US also had the paper cups of mango sorbet. My return had mousse in place of ice cream. As mentioned, the dry ice was cracking the service glasses, so the ice cream has been pulled. We'll see what happens on my flights next week...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by PaulMCO

The two pieces of chocolate as a gift well... we flew from ACC-BRU on Brussels and they gave out a full box of chocolates.. Nice...
(Bolding is mine.) Define "full". 25? 50? 100 pieces?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It does not seem to impact the US premium cabins. Sundaes have been served in a different glassware. At least I had my Sundae a few days ago on a PS flight. Others may have updated information.

Edit to include update:

just saw saw a post in the Let's Eat Domestic Thread, and someone had ice cream tub on a regular domestic F cabin instead of Sundae. Not sure it affects PS flights.
No Sundae on recent p.s. flight.

Single flavor tub of brand never heard of mango sorbet offered. Had to wait half an hour before it thawed enough to use the metal spoon to chip away at it
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:48 am

The last time I was offered the sundae was on 4/12 SFO-HGH. The return on 4/20 PEK-IAD had only the paper carton of ice cream.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:59 am

I'll just say it's about time. Can't say anything more than that, unfortunately.

Oh, and I'll leave this here: http://cookcountyrecord.com/stories/...ntaining-glass

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 23, 2017 at 11:06 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
They should at least give us haagen dazs in the meanwhile not generic ice cream.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

I too had the ginger ice cream FRA-SFO.

I asked for 2 of them, and crushed up the macaroons and little cheesecakes and put them into the ice cream. Deliacious
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by t325
Damn, flying J for the first time 2 weeks from today and was looking forward to the sundae the most.

Okay, not really, I'm more looking forward to the lie-flat bed and legroom, but the sundae was nice too
I am sure you could ask for compensation from UA for not having a sundae; the trauma must be worth at least 25,000 miles, right?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
(Bolding is mine.) Define "full". 25? 50? 100 pieces?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.