Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Well stated OP. Sadly too many people forget they are catapulting through the air at easily 600 miles an hour 30-40k feet in the air, getting to somewhere in a fraction of the time it would take to drive. We live in a society for a reasonable cost you can wake up and be on the entire other side of the US in 6 hours or less (depending on where you are at).

I get it, things can be improved, at times airlines mess up, but the industry is scrutinized by the general public far more than it should be. Go take a train or car, and you most likely won't be where you're going anywhere close to the same time.

Yet it seems all people want to do is complain about weather, maintenance, etc. Things can be better sure, but it's taken for granted for sure.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by 757FO

I'm sorry gang, but I originally joined FlyerTalk, as I wanted to learn more about the perception the flying public had about airlines and flying in general. I figured along the way, I could pick up some information that would help me do a better job as a recently promoted captain. But wow, so many of you come across like spoiled brats. Yes, airlines make mistakes, and yes, policy and customer service can always use improvement, but wow, the amount of anger from some of you, over often trivial things is very sad...

And to those who refer to the traveling public who don't fly often as kettles, come on, if you were so damn important, you would be flying private aviation, not pontificating over how important you are because you fly more often than someone else, and complaining you didn't get a PDB on a flight.

I appreciate those who fly frequently, and who help pay the bills at my airline, and always try to assist any way I can in providing good service, but many of you, especially some of our most frequent travelers need to grow up, and get over yourselves. Oh, and try and be respectful to each other too, most of the threads on this forum are ripe with name calling and hostility.

It's just a damn airplane ride, sit down, make the most of it, be thankful you got to your destination, go home and live your life....
If I joined that 'other' site full of airplane drivers I could make the same observations about their members so I suppose it is a matter of perspective, or which end of the plane you sit in. We all have things we value in our travel experience. Yours is the perspective of delivering the product from a very critical safety and skill level of which I appreciate. When you are subjected to the rigors of the road warrior life there is a different perspective than that of a vacationer or subjected to a family emergency trip. You will find a broad spectrum of flavors here on FT, for better or worse with some more nuanced than others. It is part of the travel culture that is intriguing. There are also the raw emotions and reactions which is part of life, that is the lay of the land and what makes this trip a bit more interesting. How you process it is up to you.

Welcome to FT
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This could be an interesting discussion but EVERYONE needs to take a deep breadth and dial down the comments to be consistent with the FT Rules.

Particularly
Abusive or disruptive behavior or content
12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.
It has been a difficult past week and many discussion have gotten heated. So instead of massively editing this thread or deleting it, let's call a truce (take a mulligan) and have a civil, respectful discussion by ALL (and no further inappropriate comments by anyone).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Hmmm... Is it your money, or that of your employer?
Now THIS attitude I can't abide. As someone who flies 150,000 miles a year on my own money (self-employed), what's it to you?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
For what it's worth, I've been flying with United for many years, sometimes as an elite, and other years only occasionally. 99% of my experiences have been very positive. In cases where things have gone wrong, I've found customer service to be very helpful and they've gone out of my way to accommodate me.

I've found that the service and attitude I get from the United employees largely reflects my own attitude. I've met too many customers who somehow think the FA and GA staff are giving the poor service, when the issue is really with the "DYKWIA" attitude of the customer.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Hmmm... Is it your money, or that of your employer?
Being around here for quite some time now i honestly can only shake my head in disbelieve that your initial post and this response in particular is the opinion of someone several hundred people trust their lives to on a daily basis.

Your initial post is full of generalization and the further comments on who is footing the ticket price only can imply that all seated in row 0 are a spoiled, elitist, arrogant and overly self confident bunch - see, I can do this as well. Luckily the world is completely different, and most people in that row I had the opportunity to speak with were not of this kind, and I hope you also do not belong to this species I outlined above.

In fact the current situation with United warrants the complaints put forward here on most parts, and if you had read substantially more than the on post dealing with the events on UA3411, you certainly would have noticed that people here have a tendency to distinguish whiners from valid complaints - just see one of the many threads where people ask for other's opinion regarding a situation they just encountered. Seeing all this criticism around one's employer might be hard to accept, but instead of condemning the messenger it might be a good idea to take up the criticism and see what you personally can do to improve the picture of your employer with the traveling public - sadly your initial post is detrimental to achieving this.

That all said, welcome to flyertalk! You will find a very civilized community for most part of time that is passionate about their travel and look for ways to improve on this with every mile they fly - and help others to achieve alike!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
I'm locked behind a reinforced door, flying the plane, and not having to deal with many of the folks who post here.
But wow, so many of you come across like spoiled brats... over often trivial things is very sad...
It wasn't very trivial during The Summer From Hell", my good Captain. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/bu.../31united.html

Talk about "Spoiled Brats". Stranded customers were all over the system every day for months, causing the company to eventually go bankrupt.

Many of the posters on this forum will NEVER forget how we were treated by the uncaring 3 & 4 strippers, who were NOT flying the planes when they were supposed to and could care less about the folks in the back!

What goes around, comes around, and now that the heats turned up we are getting chastised by the same guys/gals that screwed over us back then.

Last edited by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:21 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
For what it's worth, I've been flying with United for many years, sometimes as an elite, and other years only occasionally. 99% of my experiences have been very positive. In cases where things have gone wrong, I've found customer service to be very helpful and they've gone out of my way to accommodate me.

I've found that the service and attitude I get from the United employees largely reflects my own attitude. I've met too many customers who somehow think the FA and GA staff are giving the poor service, when the issue is really with the "DYKWIA" attitude of the customer.
This mirrors my experience.

Just last week, for example, we had a 6 hour delay out of LAS. Half the plane was connecting to an international flight (mostly to Europe it seemed). The gate agents were phenomenal in dealing with the delay - they patiently and smilingly worked through every situation. The majority of the passengers were also unfailingly polite and very relaxed. I only saw two couples get flustered - and perhaps it's notable that they were both apparently SFO based. Plenty of expletives and cursing about how slow and incompetent the agents were. Alternative facts, I suppose.

I'll caveat by saying that I'm not naive enough to think that there are no flaws out there. That's the case with *any* organization at scale.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
It wasn't very trivial during The Summer From Hell", my good Captain. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/bu.../31united.html

Talk about "Spoiled Brats". Stranded customers were all over the system every day for months, causing the company to eventually go bankrupt.

Many of the posters on this forum will NEVER forget how we were treated by the uncaring 3 & 4 strippers, who were NOT flying the planes when they were supposed to and could care less about the folks in the back!

What goes around, comes around, and now that the heats turned up we are getting chastised by the same guys/gals that screwed over us back then.
+1. And the spiral to the bottom of customer service continues. I've ended up with hundreds of $$'s in certs in the last several months due to constantly poor service that I don't care to use (I don't ask for comp, I just point out the bad apples to the company like the OP says s/he does). Many of us see what's playing out in the public arena as a manifestation of what most frequent flyers already know - to the majority of employees we have turned into self loading freight. I got into flying heavily ~15 years ago and flew religiously on the Friendly Skies. Today I am now close to MM, but just don't see a compelling reason to go over the edge with UA as I just don't see the benefits of being loyal in line with all the comments above and other threads in recent days. When you fly p.s. in paid business and the purser says you can't take two sets of earplugs, it sticks with you. What's goes around, comes around - looking forward to the Q2 results coming out.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sosptuba
Curious if you could further expand on "when able" and what decision making goes into channel 9 being on or off?

Recent trip ORD>GRU was on after I asked then turned off somewhere over SA, return flight was off the whole time.
Ditto! What makes it "unable'? Technical reasons or other?

And welcome aboard, despite the brashness of your intro, we don't all bite around here. Unless provoked.

I too love the 757. They'll be missed.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA needs to "think"! UA has shown themselves as a fool over the past week with PR. I guess Chicago as the HQ is not working? Perhaps bring it back to Mission Control - Houston? This is 4 headlines that make UA look bad in one week.

Come on? Hire some people that know what to do? Just a thought.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
It's just a damn airplane ride, sit down, make the most of it, be thankful you got to your destination, go home and live your life....
That comment sums it all up. You have a service company promoting people with that kind of attitude just because they spent enough hours sitting at the front of a metal tube that is mainly flown by a computer. Entitled goes both ways.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I plant myself in a UA seat at least once a week. Give me a break. I thank UA for safe service in the "friendly skies". That is it.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well if you do decide to stick around here, head over to the BAEC sub-forum and your perpsective on United flyers (a la "spoiled brats") might change!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Well stated OP. Sadly too many people forget they are catapulting through the air at easily 600 miles an hour 30-40k feet in the air, getting to somewhere in a fraction of the time it would take to drive. We live in a society for a reasonable cost you can wake up and be on the entire other side of the US in 6 hours or less (depending on where you are at).

I get it, things can be improved, at times airlines mess up, but the industry is scrutinized by the general public far more than it should be. Go take a train or car, and you most likely won't be where you're going anywhere close to the same time.

Yet it seems all people want to do is complain about weather, maintenance, etc. Things can be better sure, but it's taken for granted for sure.
People are complaining about the brutal treatment of a 68 year old elderly man.

What does this have to do with weather, maintennance, etc~?

This is how the whole UA nonsense blew up. Whatever else people have commented about (negative comments) about UA are their opinions, experiences and feelings about how badly the airline abuses its position as a domestic and international airline and business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.