Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother

United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
"United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother ..."

vs.

"United Crew Refused to allow Y class passenger in J class cabin citing cabin rules"
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Manospeed
"United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother ..."

vs.

"United Crew Refused to allow Y class passenger in J class cabin citing cabin rules"
United has been trying the "sanitized" version of CS issues for a while: United "re-accommodated" four passengers comes to mind. It has not worked out very well for them.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services
not sure why these things happen to other people. I flew kids down to Sydney in coach while wife and i were in first class (way back last year when they there was such a thing as first class on these planes ) Kids would come up to see us on occasion (kids were 15 and 17) and we would go back and check on them whenever we felt like it. Never got the sense this was against the rules, i know the FAs saw them. none of the other passengers seemed to mind. Granted it was for very short time and not during a time that it would likely bother anyone, but just surprised anyone has these issues
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by gopony
not sure why these things happen to other people. I flew kids down to Sydney in coach while wife and i were in first class (way back last year when they there was such a thing as first class on these planes ) Kids would come up to see us on occasion (kids were 15 and 17) and we would go back and check on them whenever we felt like it. Never got the sense this was against the rules, i know the FAs saw them. none of the other passengers seemed to mind. Granted it was for very short time and not during a time that it would likely bother anyone, but just surprised anyone has these issues
<Sarcasm>
It's for your safety. Think of the children.
</Sarcasm>
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not sure why anyone is shocked or surprised.

This is United culture.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gopony
Whenever I've had family sitting up front, I've never had an issue with the occasional visit. I've had FA mention to me to "make it quick" when I've bumped my wife up and just wanted to say hello, and I've had FA ask us to move to the galley if it was more than a minute or so...but I've never been "blocked". On AC I have, but that was when a colleague wished to visit me up front and he was told no. That I understood.

The policy exists for a good reason, and I don't mind it's existence. I'm in favor. That being said, there absolutely should be some of Oscar's "common sense" applied.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
I assume then in case of an equipment change or other IRROPS, where families with children are willy-nilly scattered around the cabin, you would gladly swap seats to accommodate the family at least having one parent adjacent to their child?
Absolutely.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by emcampbe
there is a point hiding in here that was probably unintentional, but here goes: an emergency is another great reason an assistant should be sitting as close to this passenger as possible.

So say say there's an emergency on board, and they need to evacuate. Who exactly is going to be helping the 94-year-old do this - to get out of her seat, get to and out the door/down the slide. Thankfully, I've never been in an emergency like this, but something tells me that if it occurs, the FAs are busy with other duties to help everyone get off that aircraft, and don't have the time to help this women personally. After all, they are responsible for each of the 250 people on board, not just 1. In fact, should an FA stop going through their required duties to help her only for more than a few seconds, I could see this as being the focus of a lawsuit brought on by other affected pax.

In another potential example, what happens if the oxygen masks need to be put on? Again, who is going to help her? Isn't that something you would want to do personally if you were her family? But how can you do that from a different cabin? Again, while the FAs are performing emergency duties, how are they specifically supposed to focus on just 1 of 200+ pax.

I would never advocate anyone flying a 90+ year-old sitting by themselves for emergency reasons alone - I don't want to leave it up to someone else who don't know them to help in an emergency situation. My objection to the family sitting in a different cabin has nothing to do with the potential for disturbance, but on other factors.

And by the way, since other people have mentioned it, I understand the expense of premium cabin tickets and that most people can't afford them. Heck, I can't, and so I don't buy them. So I sympathize with the $ issue, but again, this women clearly needed more than the average amount of help, almost women her age probably would, in fact, most at that age are well beyond their flying days. I would never fly a family member in their 90s alone - on UA or any other carrier - I'd find a way to get two tickets in the same cabin.
Wow, I had no idea that the rule about economy class passengers staying out of the business class cabin is a rock-solid wall.

In the event of a crash-landing, economy passengers must exit the aircraft using the exit doors in the economy section only. You are not allowed to go into the business class cabin on your way out to help grandma get out of her seat and towards the door and down the slide. She can just sit there and burn up. What if the exit doors in the back are blocked? The economy passengers also can just sit there and burn up. They deserve it! Of course the UA flight attendants in economy are free to go into the business class cabin to escape. The employees are the only ones who matter.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm not sure why anyone is shocked or surprised.

This is United culture.
Exactly! Airlines like Singapore, Lufthansa and Emirates would allow this in an instant.

Ohh.. wait... no they wouldn't.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by STS-134

The grandmother DID move to economy. She ended up with swollen legs, a stiff neck, and sought medical attention 2-3 days after the flight, at which point her doctor prescribed Valium and stronger pain medication to help her sleep. She apparently took at least a few days if not longer to recover from the ordeal that the UA FAs put her through.

Lots of people flying l/h Y suffer the same symptoms. But when you want media attention for your story it probably does help to find a doctor to help you juice up the "fall out" from flying in coach on a commercial airliner.

If this "ordeal" caused mental stress and anguish perhaps she didn't need to fly in the first place.

He could fly LH or LX F but there's a reason my 88 yo grandpa is never seeing his hometown in Switzerland again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
In the event of a crash-landing, economy passengers must exit the aircraft using the exit doors in the economy section only. You are not allowed to go into the business class cabin on your way out to help grandma get out of her seat and towards the door and down the slide. She can just sit there and burn up. What if the exit doors in the back are blocked? The economy passengers also can just sit there and burn up. They deserve it!
Ok I have to say this actually made me laugh based on the fact that I'm almost certain there are few frequent flyers who, while may not outright admit it, actually feel that way. With that said, I simply can't accept the justification made earlier in the thread that she shouldn't have been seated in J alone to begin with as she may not have been able to get out of the aircraft in the slim chance of an accident... reason being, last time I checked, most crash landings that do have survivors also have many injured on various levels... who were originally "fit" enough but would then may need help escaping due to injuries from the accident. So by that line of thought, should the injured just be left onboard to fend for themselves because it's not fair to expect others to help? The reality is there's no law that dictates other passengers would need to help, but I do hope humanity would kick in.

Anyway, getting back to the specific situation - the question that comes up for me is this: if there were other passengers who were "so disturbed" by what happened that they were offering their contact info, I wonder if any of them (assuming some of them were J passengers) actually tried to simply say "don't worry, I'm seated next to your grandmother... if she needs a little help opening a container of butter or walking up the aisle, I'm all of 2 feet away from her, have her just ask and I'll be happy to help." Who knows, maybe I'm being naive but if I were sitting there watching this happen - before this turned into such an overreaction and the poor woman got bounced back to Y, I would have just offered a little friendly help.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion Reminder

On FT UA forum, we are here to discuss UA - we are not here to discuss each other. It is specially called out in the rules that,
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Numerous posts have been edited / removed -- personal attacks / discussion are not allowed and if needed more severe measures will be taken.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Lots of people flying l/h Y suffer the same symptoms. But when you want media attention for your story it probably does help to find a doctor to help you juice up the "fall out" from flying in coach on a commercial airliner.

If this "ordeal" caused mental stress and anguish perhaps she didn't need to fly in the first place.

He could fly LH or LX F but there's a reason my 88 yo grandpa is never seeing his hometown in Switzerland again.
Of course lots of people fly longhaul in economy class and suffer as a result. But how many of them bought a business class ticket?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
For the record, if I was seated next to this 94-year-old and there was an emergency, and I was at all capable of helping her get off the plane or just put on a mask, I'd help. The safety videos tell you to secure your mask before helping others, and while in the safety video they use a small child as an example of someone who may need help. it really could be anyone, including a 94 year old grandma. The instructions do NOT say to secure your mask, help your friends and relatives, and let strangers pass out from the lack of oxygen. And if the plane does go down and there is an evacuation order, and there are people near me who can't get out under their own power, I'm simply going to pick them up and carry them out if I am physically capable of doing so. If not, I'd ask other pax to help me carry them out.
That's awesome - I'm glad you are the kind of person that would help others when they need it. So would I. But no offense, I wouldn't trust that the random person next to someone they don't know would help - particularly in an emergency situation where it is very easy to just fend for yourself. In fact, wasn't there a relatively recent evacuation (or maybe it was OZ at SFO, so not that recent), where folks rather than just evacuating as fast as possible, made sure to recover their belongings first?

So yeah, there are nice people for sure who would. But even I've seen a ton of jerks - both out in the public domain in general and while flying - UA and other carriers. So no, I wouldn't just trust that a random person would help. Family - yes, obviously they would.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Wow, I had no idea that the rule about economy class passengers staying out of the business class cabin is a rock-solid wall.

In the event of a crash-landing, economy passengers must exit the aircraft using the exit doors in the economy section only. You are not allowed to go into the business class cabin on your way out to help grandma get out of her seat and towards the door and down the slide. She can just sit there and burn up. What if the exit doors in the back are blocked? The economy passengers also can just sit there and burn up. They deserve it! Of course the UA flight attendants in economy are free to go into the business class cabin to escape. The employees are the only ones who matter.
Wow - Way to take something way out of context.

We, of course, don't know where the assigned seats of the family members were vs. the 94-year-old, but if there's an aircraft evacuation happening, it's more likely than not that a passenger in economy trying to run up several rows, very likely against a crowd of people heading for the nearest emergency exit at some point, is endangering not only themselves, but other passengers and crew. An FA may not even let this happen (not to mention, this is likely taking their attention away from instructing other folks, etc., and in a worst case, the added time could lead to more severe injuries or additional deaths. In an emergency, one is trying to get off the aircraft as quick as possible. Obviously, you go to the nearest exit, and cabin doesn't matter.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) the probability of this actually mattering is incredibly tiny -- odds are much greater that the old woman chokes to death on the bread, or just croaks of natural causes

2) If both of them were in business, they would both be in the way of everyone else trying to get out, so even in the case of 1), what difference does it make?

Using a standard of safety with no logical limits, airlines should make all the passengers prove they're able to evacuate without getting in the way or needing help. 3 push-ups and lift this 15 pound weight 3 times in 30 seconds, or go back home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.