Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple removed from flight to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Have you ever gotten on a plane during boarding and seen someone sleeping sprawled across three seats, including yours and your partner's?

I'd bet that "sleeping in our seats" was a lie they came up with for the media afterwards.
Never, and I'm 99% certain this didn't happen. First off, no FA would allow it to occur- they wouldn't leave the gate with a passenger lying across seats.

As soon as I heard this one I thought- 1) these kids are idiots and/or drunk 2) I am going with UA on this one 3) I hope they eventually get shamed for wanting their 15 minutes of fame through a lie.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Have you ever gotten on a plane during boarding and seen someone sleeping sprawled across three seats, including yours and your partner's?

I'd bet that "sleeping in our seats" was a lie they came up with for the media afterwards.
NEVER. In over 2M miles flown (over 1M with UA). Again, I call BS. Self entitled, self upgraders. Glad they were booted off. I also find it odd that nobody else on that plane has any video of the "Marshall" After all that happened with Dr Dao, pax would be all over social media with video of the "poor, cute couple" who were so innocent and got kicked off by a Marshall. Color me skeptical.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by PTahCha
More details from Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...ta-rica-2017-4

Summary:
  • The couple moved from E- to E+
  • Declined to pay and refused to move back
  • No air marshall or LEO involved
Just as 90% of us on here suspected was the case- kettles acting kettle-y...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Explorer789
This honestly brings an interesting question as to why planes don't have CCTVs in the cabin. I mean, buses and subway trains have them and no one complains. Why not airplanes as well?

If a pax gets kicked off for any reason, I want a copy of that tape and the incident to be reviewed. It should easily settle any he-said-she-said situations.
because things have worked out fine without cctvs spying on us.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by chollie
I disagree. If UA is in the right and this couple either tried repeatedly to poach E+ seats without paying for them or tried to take advantage of UA's current woes, then UA should not back down. It just encourages similar conduct in the future.
UA's current woes are of their own making.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I am guessing this couple looked at the seat map before boarding, saw empty E+ seats, and took a chance. When the flight attendant noticed the poaching (the manifest shows pax w/ assigned seats) they came up with the cover story. And WTH United is on it's heels with the other incidents, so why not give it a try.

SL
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:12 pm

The alleged sleeping passenger appears to have been assigned seat 24A. I wonder what that passenger has to say about this.

Has anyone seen any comments from other people on this flight?

And they just so happen to poach the emergency exit row 21B & 21C.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SunLover
I am guessing this couple looked at the seat map before boarding, saw empty E+ seats, and took a chance. When the flight attendant noticed the poaching (the manifest shows pax w/ assigned seats) they came up with the cover story. And WTH United is on it's heels with the other incidents, so why not give it a try.

SL
If they were the last to board -- as they claimed -- looking at the seatmaps online would be unnecessary so as to know which seats were empty. If they were waiting to be the last to board for economy class seat selection reasons, perhaps they know more than most infrequent travelers about how to get better seats in the same cabin as booked.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If they were the last to board -- as they claimed -- looking at the seatmaps online would be unnecessary so as to know which seats were empty. If they were waiting to be the last to board for economy class seat selection reasons, perhaps they know more than most infrequent travelers about how to get better seats in the same cabin as booked.
Good point. They probably held back with this in mind. My guess is they never even went to their assigned seats just sat their butts where they felt they were entitled.

Until some one proves me wrong I am with UA on this one.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
United as a company needs to develop people skills overall. Being in the right doesn't make you right. Especially if the general public is your customer base. You have to accept that people don't understand the rules and don't care about them as much as you do. Yet, you are taking their money so you have treat them well if you want to keep taking their money. It may not be fair, but it is the reality. I'd be surprised if United is still around as an airline in five years from now unless they make some major efforts in training their employees and management alike in soft skills.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by rickg523
Now, you can call this couple liars if you like. And claim they so aggressively refused to move back that they had to be removed for safety reasons per the crew report. Considering the accuracy of recent UA crew incident reports, I'm more apt to call it pumping up the story to justify crew actions. Which I would characterize as overreaction since the cabin was half empty.
I'm sure that we've all seen FAs ask poachers to move, either within the same cabin or between cabins (including E+ to E-), numerous times.

I'm willing to bet that we've never seen a single one of those passengers ejected from the flight if they just moved back to their assigned seats when asked.

Not to say that FAs are perfect, but the pax's version (we obediently moved when asked and were then thrown off) is highly implausible.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
If they were the last to board -- as they claimed -- looking at the seatmaps online would be unnecessary so as to know which seats were empty.
Well unless they GA closed the gateway door directly behind them and a FA closed the airplane door directly behind them it is not possible for the couple to definitively determine they would be "the last to board" the bird.

I agree though; they probably read a travel blog somewhere that advocated the wait and poach strategy.

SL
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I can not imagine taking a honeymoon and sitting in the back. This lady should rethink her choice of partner.
You are making unwarranted assumptions about their financial situation. Plenty of people getting married don't have the money for things like upgraded tickets and plenty of people who could afford them do not consider them worth it. My wife liked it the one time we were op-upped into business class--but there's no way in the world she would spend the money for it.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Does the money-collecting FA always have time and opportunity to collect payment between when the last passenger boarded and when the plane starts moving?
Any of the F/As can sell the E+ seat with their Link handheld. It's the same device that they use to sell alcohol & snacks, get flight information, etc. during flight. Also, there's no reason that I know of that they can't sell the seat mid flight.

I asked one of the F/As on my crew the other day and it's relatively rare for someone to buy the E+ seat on the airplane. Most who are willing to pay the fee have already done so.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
On the other hand at SFO I was flying on United to Maui and I went up to the gate agent to ask for a better seat towards the front and she assigned me a whole row of Economy Plus for no extra charge. We were talking about United operations at SFO and then I showed her my boarding pass and asked if there was better seats.
A few years back my wife was injured while we were traveling--using a wheelchair. On our last segment somehow we were seated next to each other but a row apart (I never tracked down if somehow I goofed or whether their system moved one of us for some reason) and asked the GA if there was anything she could do to fix it. New boarding passes--E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.