Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple removed from flight to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
While on the surface, I would agree with this theory, a cursory look would show DL as well as many of the express carriers don't have inflight unions, and yet, no cameras.
I don't think unions are the only reason they don't have them, but that unions *would* go bonkers over it in any event.

I wonder how many pax would be happy with it. I mean unlike say a grocery store or a city bus, you're gonna be on a plane for up to 15 hours and people may not be comfortable with being videoed while sleeping,scratching their junk or what else.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:31 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think unions are the only reason they don't have them, but that unions *would* go bonkers over it in any event.

I wonder how many pax would be happy with it. I mean unlike say a grocery store or a city bus, you're gonna be on a plane for up to 15 hours and people may not be comfortable with being videoed while sleeping,scratching their junk or what else.
I'd guess a combo of the (2) things.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boiler84
And possible that the removed couple is not telling the whole story.
I believe United on this one. I think the crews (after the Dao incident) are being careful not to arouse any more self-inflicted ill will. The couple apparently tried to poach seats several times, according to the flight crew. Once OK, Twice no. I think the bad publicity UA's getting is encouraging sleazy people to take advantage of the situation.

E+ seats are clearly marked a such. Announcements about fees to move into E+ from E- are usually made. Offers to purchase E+ (up from E-) at booking are unavoidable.

Zero sympathy.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I rarely support the abuse behavior of UA, but this really sounds questionable. First, if you did not pay for E+ or have the status to sit there, you should not sit there. Many paid extra money for it so you cannot just go and sit in E+. The FA was correct about that. If there was a passenger spread across their seats asleep, that is crazy. He just boarded, why is he asleep already? He had to be woken up for take off anyhow. Does not sound legitimate to me. If the couple did comply with the FA (as they should have) I really doubt an air marshal took them off. The air marshal is suppose to be unknown for a real emergency, not seat assignments.

This smacks of the couple trying to hang on to the coat tails of other real problems at UA. I don't buy their story.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
This story is not adding up for me. They got on the plane and someone was sleeping across the row?? Really?

Also - much as I hate to defend United - I do find it hard to believe they would be anything but ultra-conservative when he comes to booting people off flights and involving law enforcement.

Color my speculation skeptical.

Last edited by umustbjokim; Apr 16, 2017 at 6:43 pm Reason: grammer
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no sympathy ... trying to ride the 'bash UA wave' to extort $$$. Pathetic. You get the seat you pay for. Period.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I rarely support the abuse behavior of UA, but this really sounds questionable. First, if you did not pay for E+ or have the status to sit there, you should not sit there. Many paid extra money for it so you cannot just go and sit in E+. The FA was correct about that. If there was a passenger spread across their seats asleep, that is crazy. He just boarded, why is he asleep already? He had to be woken up for take off anyhow. Does not sound legitimate to me. If the couple did comply with the FA (as they should have) I really doubt an air marshal took them off. The air marshal is suppose to be unknown for a real emergency, not seat assignments.

This smacks of the couple trying to hang on to the coat tails of other real problems at UA. I don't buy their story.
US Marshal-Tommy Lee Jones, not Federal Air Marshal-Liam Neeson Different movies, different law enforcement jobs/
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by umustbjokim
This story is not adding up for me. They got on the plane and someone was sleeping across the row?? Really?

Also - much as I hate to defend United - I do find it hard to believe they would be anything but ultra-conservative when he comes to booting people off flights and involving law enforcement.

Color my speculation skeptical.
Too many E+ jumpers. I believe you have to be seated upright during take off, unless you have all three seats, and are strapped down for medical reasons, which I have not seen on a plane for at least 30 years.

I was very critical of United in the other IDB thread, but here I too am skeptical of the passengers' story.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
How bout this approach? "Sorry kids, you can't ride in those seats. Now go to your assigned seats, or else I'll have to ask you to leave, and I mean business!

These soon to be newlyweds were excited and probably quite giddy, and maybe a little bit out of line, but to drop the hammer on them is b.s. For what, interfering with a flight crew, or sumptin"?

I hate self up-graders as much as the next guy, but there was no need to be tough with these kids, imo! What next, throw every person off immediately that sits in the wrong seat?

I just returned from NRT via DEN, and had a few small-talks with f/a's, and I can tell you that almost all of them have the opinion that it's time to get even with some of these pax's.

REAL SMART, HUH???
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
This honestly brings an interesting question as to why planes don't have CCTVs in the cabin. I mean, buses and subway trains have them and no one complains. Why not airplanes as well?
Weight, recording management cost/complexity, and the labor unions aren't going to want anything that could be used to monitor their performance.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Weight, recording management cost/complexity, and the labor unions.
Those are the reasons. Given the amount of $$ UA will soon be shelling out, I'm guessing cameras will be installed before too long.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Those are the reasons. Given the amount of $$ UA will soon be shelling out, I'm guessing cameras will be installed before too long.
If this is going to turn into a CCTV camera on planes discussion, I think the majority of the flying public also does not want their movements & behavior recorded for posterity.

Maybe it is time for Cameras, but if UA was the first one that did it they would be labeled an Orwellian airline. Of course if Delta did it, everything would be Unicorns & Rainbows
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Probably played the "we are getting married card too"

I flew LAS-DEN-ORD yesterday. In LAS I was seated in the row behind the exit row on on a 737. The seats were much closer together than I'm used too. I observed that the window seat in the exit row was empty and asked if I could sit there. I knew this was E+ and was not surprised when she said there was a charge. I asked the charge, thinking that if the price was right, I would buy the upgrade.

The FA checked and told me 99. I was willing to pay 50 or 60, but not 99. So I said "no thank you". She apologized and I told her it wasn't her fault the seats were to close together and thanked her for checking.

Imho if you fly enough on UA you know how it works and should follow procedures for occupying E+. Either pay or get permission from FA, or assistance from an lounge agent who might process a free upgrade. I think that happened once for my father and I. Regardless, I never act like I'm entitled.

If if you have not flown UA, you might not know the ins and outs of E+, but in the past week you've certainly have heard about the guy getting dragged off the plane. IMHO it would make sense for these people to not annoy the crew.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I am kind of surprised they didn't get a first class upgrade since they were off to get married. I know when I flew to my wedding they hooked myself and another couple up on our way to San Juan.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

After the UA video and the CEO exaggerated the conduct of the Dr., I am beginning to believe the first reaction by some crews is to call the police for every incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.