Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple removed from flight to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Without witnesses to support the couple's story, I would tend to side with United here. Let's see if anyone comes forward to support them . . . .
Agreed.

After the Dao extraction, why is there no video of the "US Marshal" removing the pax from the plane, shot by one of the other passengers?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Okay, Without knowing all the details the news report says the plane was half full & the couple did not understand why they could not sit where they wanted. Also said they tried to move themselves several times.

Pretty sure repeated attempts to occupy seats that were not yours would fall under "not following crew instructions". I am pretty sure they were told there was a charge for the E+ seats. I also doubt they were not offered to purchase those seats by a FA. Those announcements are always made pre departure when E+ has vacancy.

If I caught someone trying to shoplift in my store, I would have them removed also...
Yeah, it sounds like they were trying to poach better seats. I strongly suspect we are getting more truth from United than from them.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Clickbait. And reeks of a 'money grab'.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Defend these actions all you want, but there are some UA employees with serious "Tude's", as of late, and it's not good.
I see far, far more passengers with "serious 'tudes" than UA employees. Self-entitlement has become rampant.

Lady next to me on my flight this evening had to be told four times to turn off and stow her laptop - twice while we were still at the gate after the door was closed, and twice more as we were taxiing to the runway. Each time the FA asked nicely, each time she replied with "oh yes, right away" and then kept on typing.

Amazing how many people think the rules don't apply to them.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
there are cameras in some planes.. mostly in premium class to monitor cockpit door

guess which airline has one?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...380-777-a.html
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...inside-a-plane

I remember seeing another post about a semi-hidden camera used for service monitoring in premium class, not for cockpit surveillence... trying to dig it up
No indication any of those systems have the recording feature asked about upthread.

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Such nonsense.

The FA's would not let some guy lay across an aisle before the plane even took off like that.
Across an aisle no, but across a row of seats? Sure! I've seen UA crew sleeping across 3 seats pre-departure and maintaining that all the way through taxi, takeoff, and landing.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by rickg523
Passengers say they returned to their ticketed seats after being told that they needed to.
UA says "repeatedly attempted to sit in upgraded seating which they did not purchase and they would not follow crew instructions to return to their assigned seats."
Up until a week ago, I'd have taken UA at their word and considered it was based on a factual account by the crew. Not so much anymore. Now I'm more apt to think the passenger, while they complied, said something that triggered another power trip by a UA employee. And the account gets juiced up to justify the overreaction.
This.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:51 pm

Let's talk common sense here. This episode happened AFTER The Incident. With all that's going on, do any of us truly think UA FA's are going to be rude/aggressive/power-tripping at this time? If anything, FA's are going to be extremely sensitive about these things.

But then again, some are not known to have common sense or have awareness.

But again, I tend to think that most UA employees are "sensitive" now, not wanting to offend.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Okay, Without knowing all the details the news report says the plane was half full & the couple did not understand why they could not sit where they wanted. Also said they tried to move themselves several times.

Pretty sure repeated attempts to occupy seats that were not yours would fall under "not following crew instructions". I am pretty sure they were told there was a charge for the E+ seats. I also doubt they were not offered to purchase those seats by a FA. Those announcements are always made pre departure when E+ has vacancy.

If I caught someone trying to shoplift in my store, I would have them removed also...
That's the difference between asian airliners and american airliners and using a bit of common sense/PR and "goodwill."

Yes, the flight is half full, and it is NORMAL for passengers to ask if they can get more comfortable seating once the doors are closed...i.e to sit with their friends if they are separated, to move to a row that is empty, to move to a window or aisle seat if there is an opening...it happens everywhere.

99% of the time, they ask the cabin crew permission if they can move and generally, the crew will ask them to wait till the door is closed and everyone has boarded and they tend to turn a blind eye to changing seats there after UNLESS you have ordered a special meal, in which case, they will need to know.

It is just a simple goodwill that is not going to cost the airline or the crew any cash...it is just simple GOODWILL and saying ÿeah, go ahead then.

What on earth does a airline lose turning a blind eye to this?

Crazy!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wolf72
Yes, the flight is half full, and it is NORMAL for passengers to ask if they can get more comfortable seating once the doors are closed...i.e to sit with their friends if they are separated, to move to a row that is empty, to move to a window or aisle seat if there is an opening...it happens everywhere.

99% of the time, they ask the cabin crew permission if they can move and generally, the crew will ask them to wait till the door is closed and everyone has boarded and they tend to turn a blind eye to changing seats there after UNLESS you have ordered a special meal, in which case, they will need to know.
The UA crew will let you move to unoccupied seats, they just won't let you take a seat designated as Economy Plus without paying for it. I don't have a problem with that policy.

It is just a simple goodwill that is not going to cost the airline or the crew any cash...it is just simple GOODWILL and saying ÿeah, go ahead then.
That's incorrect. It costs the airline money because if they let people snag them for free, no one will ever pay for Economy Plus.

Next time you're on an Asian airline flying economy, try to grab a free seat in the business class cabin, and see how that works out for you.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
That's the difference between asian airliners and american airliners and using a bit of common sense/PR and "goodwill."

What on earth does a airline lose turning a blind eye to this?

Crazy!
Changing within a class of service - yes, most airlines will allow that.

Moving up between cabins - E to E+ or J, or J to F - no, airlines won't allow that. Asian, European, American - doesn't matter. None of them will allow that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
Well, the plane can't take off until the guy "sleeping across the row" sits up and puts his seatbelt on. Especially when the flight is nearly boarded.

Normal people would wake the guy, or ask the flight attendant to wake him.

Sounds like the bride and groom were looking for some special treatment before their big day. Hey it works in hotels and restaurants, right?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Kacee
The UA crew will let you move to unoccupied seats, they just won't let you take a seat designated as Economy Plus without paying for it. I don't have a problem with that policy.

That's incorrect. It costs the airline money because if they let people snag them for free, no one will ever pay for Economy Plus.

Next time you're on an Asian airline flying economy, try to grab a free seat in the business class cabin, and see how that works out for you.
Haha! E+ is neither Premium Economy nor Business. It is NOT a separate cabin. I'm astonished that anyone but a power tripping FA would call it an upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by knit-in
Haha! E+ is neither Premium Economy nor Business. It is NOT a separate cabin. I'm astonished that anyone but a power tripping FA would call it an upgrade.
Okay Mr. Astonished . . . Try and grab MCE, EMS, or C+ for free on your next AA, B6, or DL flight.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: United
Very Sad

United has problems. If I could move my miles to another airlines I would leave. Most of us would. However FAs deal with some real jerks on planes. I have seen it many times. I have seen them turn a blind eye when someone hops up to E+. I have seen people get rude about it, when it is enforced. I have seen people do it deliberately, and talk about how they save money that way.

I feel for most of the cabin crew, they are good people and they are just baby sitters.

My sense is this couple tried to pull a fast one, and they got busted two or more times. They might have gotten away with it, if they did not hop to the emergency row. For safety reasons, they watch that row.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by knit-in
I am also astonished. It has been over a year since I have been on a united flight my recollection was it was nothing like a premium economy seat on Air Canada or pretty much premium economy on any other star alliance airline.

It is the same crappy seat at Economy. Do they at least toss in a complimentary drink? It simply the same seat with an extra inch or two of leg room and a more premium looking logo on the seat back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.