United Gold upgrade to E-premium on Lufthansa

Old Apr 15, 17, 11:33 am
Original Poster

United Gold upgrade to E-premium on Lufthansa

A quick question.

United Gold flying on an award Clt to Muc with my wife (non-status) on Luf metal. Are we upgrade eligible for upgrade to premium economy?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 17, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Chapie View Post
A quick question.

United Gold flying on an award Clt to Muc with my wife (non-status) on Luf metal. Are we upgrade eligible for upgrade to premium economy?

Thanks
NO.

LH's premium economy is not the same as UA E+. Enhanced service, not just extra knee-space.
Old Apr 15, 17, 11:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Chapie View Post
.... United Gold flying on an award Clt to Muc with my wife (non-status) on Luf metal. Are we upgrade eligible for upgrade to premium economy? ....
Complimentary - no
Old Apr 15, 17, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
NO.

LH's premium economy is not the same as UA E+. Enhanced service, not just extra knee-space.
Agree. And even if it was the same, since UA doesn't upgrade non-UA *A elites to E+, it is unlikely LH would do much for UA elites.
Old Apr 15, 17, 12:13 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Agree. And even if it was the same, since UA doesn't upgrade non-UA *A elites to E+, it is unlikely LH would do much for UA elites.
Same for every *A member; only some benefits are *G benefits, others like preferred seating (and even seat selection) only apply to your own airline.
Old Apr 15, 17, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much....
Old Apr 15, 17, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Same for every *A member; only some benefits are *G benefits, others like preferred seating (and even seat selection) only apply to your own airline.
not technically true. As an upgrade to a premium economy product - definitely never seen that (and that's not how UA markets E+, either).

Preferred seating benefits, I've definitely seen some of that - there's even a thread on it somewhere. Personal examples for me include both TG and SQ putting me (as a *G) in rows that are showing as blocked - they both do a lot of blocking of the entire front section of Y on their aircraft. This happens at booking and not just once or twice - on every flight I've booked with both these carriers. Some have speculated LH blocks middle seats next to *Gs - though I think there's been evidence both ways - obviously, they are going to release these as flights fill up and they are needed. An example - my wife was booked on a 330 on LH, and had the middle seat blocked on the seat map for quite some time - before it got assigned, it was open and then immediately after, was showing occupied. Obviously, could have been a coincidence on timing, but in the end, someone ended up someone next to her on day of but flight was completely full. For me, I was booked on an LH 748 and never saw the seat next to me occupied (I was in a middle section, aisle), I presume that seat eventually has someone in it (I was op-up'd at check in.
Old Apr 15, 17, 3:36 pm

Actually, spouse and I (both UA Gold) were given complimentary seating/upgrades in LH's E-premium last December on a LAX to FRA flight. We were standing in line to board with our group when our names were called & we were given the new seats.
Old Apr 15, 17, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SC54HI View Post
Actually, spouse and I (both UA Gold) were given complimentary seating/upgrades in LH's E-premium last December on a LAX to FRA flight. We were standing in line to board with our group when our names were called & we were given the new seats.
Because of an oversell of regular Economy.
Old Apr 15, 17, 3:56 pm

basically an op-up. Not a defined benefit and should not lead people to believe it is.
Old Apr 15, 17, 4:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Actually, spouse and I (both UA Gold) were given complimentary seating/upgrades in LH's E-premium last December on a LAX to
Definitely OP-UP. Otherwise they probably would have tried selling cash upgrades onboard. On my last flights with LH, Y+ was fully booked well before the flight (but so was C).
Old Apr 16, 17, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Definitely OP-UP. Otherwise they probably would have tried selling cash upgrades onboard. On my last flights with LH, Y+ was fully booked well before the flight (but so was C).
Makes sense. This also happened on an AC flight to YYZ from FRA.

Search this Thread