Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was this a NZ issued ticket or UA ticket. In the USA, the ticket marketer makes the bag rules, not the carrier.

Even still it should have been two bags - was you *G status (what program?) on the ticket?
Avianca. I've booked some domestic NZ tickets and it gives me a second bag with my Avianca status. My UA boarding pass donates my *G status, but my connecting BP on NZ doesn't. I wonder if that's the issue?
Cheers
Howie

Originally Posted by mduell
Which airline marketed the first flight?
United

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 1:28 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA baggage refuses to give me a refund. I'm really baffled by this.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

when i use the calculator it says that if marketing carrier is nz then first bag $0 second bag $150

you're aware that you can have 016 tix with ua not as the marketing carrier correct?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cur
when i use the calculator it says that if marketing carrier is nz then first bag $0 second bag $150
you're aware that you can have 016 tix with ua not as the marketing carrier correct?
The page quoted state:

"Service charges apply whenever bags are checked, and are determined by the marketing carrier of your itinerary’s first segment (the airline whose flight number is printed on your boarding pass for that flight). "

And the calculator is wrong even if NZ is the marketing carrier of the first segment. Because NZ's policy is 2 free bags for Star Gold members.

http://www.airnewzealand.com/optiona...checkedbaggage
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur

Even if it's NZ as a *G I get two bags..
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Can 100% confirm that you were charged incorrectly. Just flew NZ AKL-LAX ~3 weeks ago and had two bags checked in both ways. $0 for *G.

Dispute the charge on your credit card if you've received a "final" denial in writing from UA baggage, and you've already sent them backup indicating that you should not have been charged.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darlox
Can 100% confirm that you were charged incorrectly. Just flew NZ AKL-LAX ~3 weeks ago and had two bags checked in both ways. $0 for *G.

Dispute the charge on your credit card if you've received a "final" denial in writing from UA baggage, and you've already sent them backup indicating that you should not have been charged.
I have a baggage receipt. The problem seems to be when you have a domestic connection. LAX-AKL is fine but LAX-AKL-CHC shows as a charge for the 2nd bag.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I have a baggage receipt. The problem seems to be when you have a domestic connection. LAX-AKL is fine but LAX-AKL-CHC shows as a charge for the 2nd bag.
Cheers
Howie
Apparently NZ allows zero free bags on basic domestic tickets, even for Gold. Checked-In Baggage.

I find the MSC rules to be extremely poorly written and really hopelessly baffling on certain fact patterns, particularly where *G is involved, since that's a waiver, not an allowance.

If you're saying that your e-ticket receipt indicates there's a charge for a second bag, you may be SOL here.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:46 am
cur

Even if it's NZ as a *G I get two bags..
Cheers
Howie
this is correct if ua is the marketing carrier. this is not correct if that marketing carrier is nz.

also isn't marketing carrier = msc? in this case msc would be nz.

Originally Posted by Darlox

this is not an accurate comparison to op unless your ticket was 016 and you checked in at a ua counter.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Apparently NZ allows zero free bags on basic domestic tickets, even for Gold. Checked-In Baggage.

I find the MSC rules to be extremely poorly written and really hopelessly baffling on certain fact patterns, particularly where *G is involved, since that's a waiver, not an allowance.

If you're saying that your e-ticket receipt indicates there's a charge for a second bag, you may be SOL here.
It's an intl ticket so the intl NZ rules apply which is two bags for *G. Flew IAH-AKL-ZQN on NZ. NZ's computer was trying to charge me on the return AKL-SFO flt but they waived it as they were baffled.NZ blammed it on UA.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's an intl ticket so the intl NZ rules apply which is two bags for *G.
In theory perhaps.

But there have been multiple reports, for example, of Eurowings charging for bags on connecting international itineraries.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:33 pm

In theory perhaps.

But there have been multiple reports, for example, of Eurowings charging for bags on connecting international itineraries.
US Department of Transportation (DoT) mandate, for all journeys to/from and within the US:

The same baggage policy (baggage allowance and fees) that was applicable at the beginning of a passenger’s itinerary, throughout the entire itinerary.

Originally Posted by cur
this is correct if ua is the marketing carrier. this is not correct if that marketing carrier is nz.

also isn't marketing carrier = msc? in this case msc would be nz.
As stated in the page you quoted, the marketing carrier of the first segment (LGA-IAH) 's policy applies.

If that LGA-IAH leg is on UA's codes, UA policy applies, if that leg is on NZ codes, NZ policy applies.

But both UA and NZ's policy for Star Gold are 2 pieces free. So either way OP should get 2 pieces for free.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 17, 2016 at 10:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
In theory perhaps.

That's because Eurowings doesn't honor the *G baggage fee waiver.

However, in this case, both UA and NZ have the same *G baggage fee waiver (1 additional bag), and the base baggage allowance is governed by the first marketing carrier.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:16 am
cur

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
As stated in the page you quoted, the marketing carrier of the first segment (LGA-IAH) 's policy applies.

If that LGA-IAH leg is on UA's codes, UA policy applies, if that leg is on NZ codes, NZ policy applies.

But both UA and NZ's policy for Star Gold are 2 pieces free. So either way OP should get 2 pieces for free.
ok but the ua website states (when you punch in nz as marketing carrier and ticketing date of 1oct16)
1st bag: $0
2nd bag: $150

so either those are the rules
or there's a glitch

i'm done trying to help
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Esclated the problem within United hopefully I'll get a response soon.
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.