Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
as mentioned earlier LH does not follow the MSC rule when travelling from and to the US, they follow the DOT rules

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18001
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I can run the scenario again w/ a business class ticket, but you are definitely confusing waivers available at UA counters with UA-defined applicable bag charges due elsewhere. A lot of people do...
You're right, I was confusing these. As I understand it, the intent of the DOT rules (2009-9-20) was that customers shouldn't be surprised by luggage charges on a later segment of an itinerary. BUT, from some Flyertalk discussions, it's the applicable bag allowances that carry over, not extra 1K waivers. The applicable allowances for an economy ticket (with the *G allowance) is 2 bags @50 pounds. That's LH's allowance in economy as well.

More broadly, this thread is reinforcing that the rules are not, in fact, clear cut. Most likely, I'll be okay--perhaps because LH will choose to waive fees, perhaps because the trans-Atlantic portion is in business (where LH would allow 3 bags @70 pounds). But it seems there's still some uncertainty. Not to mention the usual uncertainty/variance of how the actual agent will interpret it.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
UA baggage calculator wrong

Hope anyone can help.
When using UA's baggage calculator, LAX-FRA Y-class shows on LH (select marketing carrier) one free bag for *G. Any idea why it wouldn't show two free bags as per LH's policy for status members (premier executive/*G)?
Old May 7, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: None
UA Baggge allowance Los Angeles to Manila

Hi, I'm vaguely familiar with the terminology etc with international baggage allowances and fees, but am curious if anyone is up to date on UA baggage fees, allowances for flights from US to Philippines. Several years ago two bags were allowed free, although this was not widely known. UA was, at that time, charging for a second bag, LAX to Manila. However, a certain code: G*75, as I recall would allow the agent to permit two free bags. Code may not be excatly correct, but I know this to be true as I accompanied a friend to LAX a day before her flight to check this out. Took four agents before a supervisor typed in the correct code and my friend was allowed two bags, no charge. I thought, how many thousands of dollars did UA realize simply because of misinformed agents. Just curious, is this still the case: UA to Manila, two free bags with right code punched into computer. Thanks Jay

Last edited by Jergen22345; May 7, 2016 at 7:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 7, 2016, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jergen22345
Hi, I'm vaguely familiar with the terminology etc with international baggage allowances and fees, but am curious if anyone is up to date on UA baggage fees, allowances for flights from US to Philippines. Several years ago two bags were allowed free, although this was not widely known. UA was, at that time, charging for a second bag, LAX to Manila. However, a certain code: G*75, as I recall would allow the agent to permit two free bags. Code may not be excatly correct, but I know this to be true as I accompanied a friend to LAX a day before her flight to check this out. Took four agents before a supervisor typed in the correct code and my friend was allowed two bags, no charge. I thought, how many thousands of dollars did UA realize simply because of misinformed agents. Just curious, is this still the case: UA to Manila, two free bags with right code punched into computer. Thanks Jay
They offer 2 bags for free (23kg each). You can verify for yourself by checking out the baggage section on United's website.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Jergen22345
There are forums dedicated to specific airlines on Flyertalk. Therefore, I believe that the best location for your thread is in the UA Forum.
Please follow there...
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 7, 2016, 10:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
They offer 2 bags for free (23kg each). You can verify for yourself by checking out the baggage section on United's website.
UA baggage calculator

Standard economy bag allowance for LAX-MNL on UA is 2 bags 50 lbs (23 kgs) each.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:19 am

baggage allowance rule on open jaw

Folks
I have read through all the baggage allowance threads but unable to find a conclusive answer to my current trip. I am booked on united stock ORD-SFO-SIN and MAA-FRA-ORD (open jaw ticket)
ORD-SIN are united operated flights (flying the dreamliner for the first time and United baggage allowance is 2 bags
MAA-FRA is operated by Lufthansa on LH metal and FRA-ORD is on UA metal
My e-ticket states only 1 bag allowed from MAA-ORD for free.

Question: what is my baggage allowance on MAA-FRA-ORD?
1. Since United is the marketing carrier do I get only one checked-in bag for free or does Lufthansa rule of 2 bags apply?
2. US DOT rule examples talk only about round trip. But assuming DOT rules apply the first segment of my flight allows me to check in 2 bags for free (ORD-SIN is 2 bags but MAA-ORD is only 1 bag as per United). Does this allow me to get 2 bags on the return from MAA-ORD?
3. Does the MSC apply (most significant carrier) rule apply with Lufthansa as the MAA-FRA is geographically greater distance than FRA-ORD

Called United airlines and the agent stated that I will get 2 bags as Lufthansa is the operating carrier but he was not exactly sure when I asked him about the DOT ruling indicating the marketing carrier as the dominant one.

what should be my best plan when checking in at MAA?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little more info will be useful. Do you have any United or *G status? Are you in coach or business/first?

United-defined bag fee waivers for Premiers only occur at United counters. If you have *G status, you may be eligible for *G bag benefits. Bag charges are dues each time you check in. Normal United bag charges are the starting point at each check-in and will be adjusted/not adjusted based on cabin/status/operator .
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A little more info will be useful. Do you have any United or *G status? Are you in coach or business/first?

United-defined bag fee waivers for Premiers only occur at United counters. If you have *G status, you may be eligible for *G bag benefits. Bag charges are dues each time you check in. Normal United bag charges are the starting point at each check-in and will be adjusted/not adjusted based on cabin/status/operator .
don't have any status with united or star alliance and i am traveling in economy. The question is around the interpretation of the rules. No one seems to have the right answer
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 5, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:44 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
you will only have 1 free bag maa-ord. check the lufthansa website.

if you are ticketed thru united (starts with 016), then the confirmation email at the bottom will explain to you precisely and without any ambiguity what your baggage allowance is for every leg. this can also be located on the ua website travel management section or whatever

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

my understanding of msc is that it is for the longest trip on your first leg
i also believe that ua allows 2x free bags on intl iteneraries (i dunno i nevre check bags)
so maybe you are on to something here, that you're entitled 2 bags for the maa ord leg

Last edited by cur; Jun 5, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cur
my understanding of msc is that it is for the longest trip on your first leg
The U.S. DOT single ticket/single allowance rule allows Most Significant Carrier in certain circumstances but doesn't require it. 'Longest trip' rule may not apply in other itins.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT rule is fairly simple and the fact that this open jaw is irrelevant.

The allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket. Period.

UA's allowance for ORD-SIN (I presume that OP is connecting, not stopping over at SFO) is 2 bags. Therefore, this is the allowance for LH from MAA-FRA and on UA FRA-ORD. MSC is inapplicable because UA does not apply MSC rules and UA is the marketing carrier of the 1st segment.

If OP is stopping over at SFO, his allowance from ORD-SFO will be 0. Thus, his allowance from MAA-FRA will be 0 unless LH chooses (which it almost certainly will) to honor its own allowance and then OP will be granted an allowance of 1 bag.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The DOT rule is fairly simple and the fact that this open jaw is irrelevant.

The allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket. Period.

UA's allowance for ORD-SIN (I presume that OP is connecting, not stopping over at SFO) is 2 bags. Therefore, this is the allowance for LH from MAA-FRA and on UA FRA-ORD. MSC is inapplicable because UA does not apply MSC rules and UA is the marketing carrier of the 1st segment.

If OP is stopping over at SFO, his allowance from ORD-SFO will be 0. Thus, his allowance from MAA-FRA will be 0 unless LH chooses (which it almost certainly will) to honor its own allowance and then OP will be granted an allowance of 1 bag.
I am only connecting in SFO. If what you say is true then why does my eticket (if I check it on United website using my confirmation number from Orbitz for United PNR) state ORD-SIN 2 free bags and MAA-ORD only 1 free bag.
the whole point of DOT ruling was to display clearly the baggage charges on the eticket. Is something incorrect with United's interpretation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.