Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the shortest in-flight time you've experienced on UA SFO-LAX or LAX-SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the shortest in-flight time you've experienced on UA SFO-LAX or LAX-SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've never done a UA flight on this route, but I do remember a 48 minute flight on VX.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
The shortest international flight (difficult to beat) is between FIH and BZV, Kinshasa and Brazaville, capitals of the two Congos. With 4 miles (GPS) between the two airports, it is scheduled at 30 mnts but the actual flight time varies between 4 and 9 minutes.

Camair-co and Asky Airlines fly the route.

Due to the need to cross the river Congo (no bridge) and particularly cumbersome immigration procedures by the two African countries, including requests for bribes, the trip on the ground can take 5 hours.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I too don't understand why people keep posting about flights other than LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX. The title of the thread is very clear and specific. Also, its not like the posters are in the single or 10s of posts...focus people!

David
I think it's because on the FT main page the thread title cuts off before LAX/SFO is mentioned. (Image attached). I was fooled until I started reading through the thread.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I too don't understand why people keep posting about flights other than LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX. The title of the thread is very clear and specific. Also, its not like the posters are in the single or 10s of posts...focus people!

David
Because it's a fun evolving conversation. If it wasn't, the thread would have been closed after runner450 searched the company database and found the factual answer

Plus, in my defense, you posted in the thread without mentioning a flight time between those two airports, so maybe we can all be equally guilty of this
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dc_traveler
I think it's because on the FT main page the thread title cuts off before LAX/SFO is mentioned. (Image attached). I was fooled until I started reading through the thread.
Ah, that makes more sense now. Gotta be terse with those titles!

Originally Posted by zspitzer
Because it's a fun evolving conversation. If it wasn't, the thread would have been closed after runner450 searched the company database and found the factual answer

Plus, in my defense, you posted in the thread without mentioning a flight time between those two airports, so maybe we can all be equally guilty of this
Well, I would note that I did disclose my shortest flight time between the two cities - specifically in the LAX-SFO direction (from above):

Also, in terms of times of day, probably the first LAX-SFO flight has the greatest likelihood of shortest wheels up to wheels down. Having taken it a few times, if there's no weather or delay issues on either end, I've done it in 50 minutes.
As I've noted in other threads, because of the "quickness" of the 1st LAX-SFO, I've taken it in order to get on bigger aircraft as well as sUA 752s that have more IPTE seats.

David
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm right with you, I'm as much of a 747 fan as anyone... just thought that was an interesting detail given that we rarely have insight on such things.
i remember back in the day when UA would hop between hawaiian islands on the big birds then off to the mainland... hilarious. and awesome.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Fastest time SFO-LAX

Hi-

With a strong North to South jet stream you can probably do it in about 48 minutes, one factor is spacing and separation when arriving at LAX. The A320/737 usually cruise at .78 mach.

Back in February UA did a SFO/LAX run with a 747-400 it was re-positioning because of the California storms, it had revenue pax on board I think I remember seeing it was sold-out I wonder what's it flight time was since it's typical for a 747 to cruise at .84 if it wants to or is allowed to.

-Paul

http://travelskills.com/2017/02/23/u...g-747-sfo-lax/
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
In the early 70's PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) used to fly mostly 737's btw LAX and SFO, and back, with a few L1011's thrown in, also. It usually took over an hour to board the BIG-UN (using stickers) and could make it in about 48 mins.

Kind-a impractical!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
BAH-DOH

Can't remember exactly how long but was very short Gulf Air flight and I had the whole J cabin to myself (using some GFF points before expiry).

No inflight service as only lasted a few minutes.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Feel like there has been a lot of scope creep on the listed flight time for this SFO - LAX route. All airlines now quote this route at around 1:30, didn't it used to be 1 hour? Gate congestion gotten that much worse? Or are airlines sandbagging the time to not adversely affect on time performance?

Last edited by Asaq; Apr 17, 2017 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:46 am

OMA to LNK

Late 70's flying from IAH to LNK we stopped in OMA before continuing on to LNK. Flight time 14 minutes.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:42 am

Does Space A count?

Flew from Roosevelt Roads, PR to STT (St Thomas)
Flight time 19 Minutes.

Roosevelt Roads is now Closed.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:25 pm

Ewr to lga. Flight was originally from dfw to lga but because of weather it detoured to ewr. 1/2 the plane got off in Newark but I had parked in lga so I couldn't just get off there. Ended up being delayed an hour or two and the plane eventually took off from ewr to lga. I don't remember exact flight times but couldn't have been more than 15 minutes.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat - Northwest/Delta Million Miler
Shortest flight for me was the SNA-LAX "feeder" flights United (Express) used to operate about 15-20 years ago. I don't remember the duration of those flights....but needless to say they were SUPER short
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: NA
Way quicker than LAXSAN

Originally Posted by ShutteLag
what is the shortest actual in-flight time you've experienced on UA SFO-LAX or LAX-SFO? (from the moment the wheels are off the runway until they touchdown again)
While I have done LAXSAN a few times, which is a joke quick, my fastest was from Kabul air base to Bagram, trip is about 40 Miles, and brutal/ dangerous by car, so we would fly, i believe about 10 minute fly time, and that was on a very, very old plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.