Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you feel unsafe or as though your safety is vulnerable on a United flight?

Old Apr 13, 17, 11:50 am
Original Poster

To me, whether one likes or dislikes United Airlines is not the issue, my question is do you feel unsafe, or as though your safety is vulnerable on United Airlines?

Taking all other variables away (hijacking, adverse weather, equipment failure), etc.), I'm curious if anyone else feels uneasy about getting on a United Airlines aircraft, for fear that their safety is compromised, and that they may be in harm's way? I'll be entirely honest, I do (I do not believe that United Airlines, as an organization, has the analytical infrastructure, capacity, and culture to make decisions that are in their passenger's best interests). The extent of the systemic defects that have surfaced in the United Airlines organization, since Dr. Dao Dao was hauled off of UA #3411 like a subhuman sack of mail, have me wondering how vulnerable the traveling public is on United Airlines, who's next, and if the response of United's CEO was what it was, and his subordinates are likely to follow the leader, what's next? I don't know what it would take the US Government to shut an airline down, on the basis that it is a threat to the public's safety, ? limited to FAR's, but it strikes me that when the US Government put Air Marshals on planes, they put Air Marshals on planes to ward off or paralyze hostile acts against the United States; I wonder, does the job description of the Air Marshal Service need to be broadened now to include warding off and paralyzing hostile acts by an airline to its passengers? 9-11 was a game changer; was April 9, 2017 another game changer in aviation safety in the United States?

When it comes to American Airlines, for example, I DO HAVE that comfort level, and do not feel unsafe or vulnerable.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Certainly doesn't help that complimentary scorpions are now part of the UA experience.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I feel equally as safe on AA, DL, UA, etc. 99% of airline employees are professional and safety conscious. I try to act professionally so I am extremely unlikely to have altercations with the police. If I was the type of person that likes to make a scene where police would get called, I still feel no different on UA versus any airline but it certainly creates a less safe environment for everyone in the vicinity.

I'll say I feel a less safe on non-mainline flights as those planes feel less safe and the crew is typically not as experienced.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I feel safe but I dont feel like I can complain when it is necessary. I needed to get to my destination for my sister's wedding on time and the flight delayed 12 hours until it was finally cancelled a lot of people went to the desk and started complaining (they were not fighting or anything, they just wanted their due compensation). How did AA responded? Call airport Riot police... Yep. I was so upset and needed to get to my destination that I didnt even care, I went to another airline and bought a ticket and I was on my way. I never received compensation or anything from that flight... Who would want to protest or demand compensation if they throw the police at you??
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Vulnerable?

This is just silly. Of course not.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
the same thing happened recently with another flight on AA, The flight was 8 hours late and people were complaining, what do the front desk agents said? : Dont complain because if the company wants to screw you they can! They can put you all in the no fly list and this is the only airline with this route!

Excellent customer service
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:33 pm

You will remain safe on all airlines unless you are refusing an order of the crew and police on the aircraft. If you feel like you should be treated like a God because you spent $150 for a flight then you should increase your travel budget and fly private.

This thread is total click bait and if you don't feel 'safe' on an airplane then don't fly United. Every airline in the past year has forceably removed a passenger from a flight (and I would argue a few of these are not the right thing to do but they did it) so I guess you should just take Greyhound to avoid having the chance of being removed from a flight:

-Southwest: http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Unruly-passenger-forces-unscheduled-Omaha-stop-for-Southwest-flight-416562003.html

-Delta: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2016/12/13/detroit-delta-flight-san-diego/95366536/

-American: 2 Muslim American Women Ordered Off American Airlines Flight https://nyti.ms/2aUzoy6

JetBlue: http://abc7ny.com/news/passenger-removed-after-verbally-harassing-ivanka-trump/1668529/

-Alaska: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/10/12/rowdy-passenger-reportedly-removed-from-alaska-flight-for-harassing-attendant.html
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:44 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.8MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan View Post
To me, whether one likes or dislikes United Airlines is not the issue, my question is do you feel unsafe, or as though your safety is vulnerable on United Airlines?

Taking all other variables away (hijacking, adverse weather, equipment failure), etc.), I'm curious if anyone else feels uneasy about getting on a United Airlines aircraft, for fear that their safety is compromised, and that they may be in harm's way? I'll be entirely honest, I do (I do not believe that United Airlines, as an organization, has the analytical infrastructure, capacity, and culture to make decisions that are in their passenger's best interests). The extent of the systemic defects that have surfaced in the United Airlines organization, since Dr. Dao Dao was hauled off of UA #3411 like a subhuman sack of mail, have me wondering how vulnerable the traveling public is on United Airlines, who's next, and if the response of United's CEO was what it was, and his subordinates are likely to follow the leader, what's next? I don't know what it would take the US Government to shut an airline down, on the basis that it is a threat to the public's safety, ? limited to FAR's, but it strikes me that when the US Government put Air Marshals on planes, they put Air Marshals on planes to ward off or paralyze hostile acts against the United States; I wonder, does the job description of the Air Marshal Service need to be broadened now to include warding off and paralyzing hostile acts by an airline to its passengers? 9-11 was a game changer; was April 9, 2017 another game changer in aviation safety in the United States?

When it comes to American Airlines, for example, I DO HAVE that comfort level, and do not feel unsafe or vulnerable.
Given how you feel, you should not fly United and fly American. Your confusing emotion (and possibly a political agenda) with fact and I totally disagree with what you are saying and the data on airline safety proves that United is (and always has been) as safe as any US based carrier.

As a consumer you are completely within your rights to select any airline you wish but to say that United is unsafe is unjustified and inaccurate.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
You will remain safe on all airlines unless you are refusing an order of the crew and police on the aircraft.
Thank you for injecting some sanity here.

Maybe there's another story I missed, but no UA employee harmed a customer. The Chicago Aviation Police did. Do you feel safe walking through ORD or MDW? They're all over the place there.

A person has MUCH more to fear from their fellow passengers than from a UA employee.

The OP needs to get his story straight before writing about "paralyzing and hostile acts by an airline to its customers"...at least cite some evidence of such an incident.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Thank you for injecting some sanity here.

Maybe there's another story I missed, but no UA employee harmed a customer. The Chicago Aviation Police did. Do you feel safe walking through ORD or MDW? They're all over the place there.

A person has MUCH more to fear from their fellow passengers than from a UA employee.

The OP needs to get his story straight before writing about "paralyzing and hostile acts by an airline to its customers"...at least cite some evidence of such an incident.
UA did not touch the passenger it was CPD and the employee did what all front line employees are taught to do (at UA, at AA, at Home Depot, at WalMart) if someone is being unruly or not leaving private property when asked you call the police and don't handle it yourself.

Also- having police presence at an airport makes me feel safe because in a metal tube at 35,000 ft there is no way to remove a pax who is being unruly when I am sitting 1ft from him, unfortunately you give up some rights to fly, if you don't want to fly you can drive..
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:01 pm

I do feel more vulnerable on US carriers. I treat their crews like one would treat a drunk hooligan - minimize communication, avoid unnecessary contact, stay polite and cheerful when must communicate, keep calm, stay humble and above all do not provoke them and try to defuse any potential conflict. These people are unhappy and on a power trip, with "extra rights" that they are happy to exercise (as experience had shown time and again)

On the other hand, no such feeling on foreign carriers - in particular in Asia, and clearly it's not just me. Anecdotally, it goes to an opposite extreme occasionally. On a recent flight on a Japan based low cost carrier, Chinese passenger in the emergency exit row refused to stow her bag or lift her seat back. Crew asked her somewhat meekly a few times and let her be. Is that good? - no. Perhaps too much, but given the choice of that and flying any of US big 3 "CON Air" - I choose the former.

IMHO, YMMV
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
No, I don't fear for my physical safety aboard UA. But I do think I am at greater risk of confrontation, sanctions, etc. for saying the wrong thing. So I say nothing. As a rule I want no unnecessary interactions with United employees until I can tell how aggressive they are.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Vulnerable?

This is just silly. Of course not.
You're being kind. It's not silly, it's ridiculous to think that this recent event should make one feel "vulnerable" flying on UA.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
I do feel more vulnerable on US carriers. I treat their crews like one would treat a drunk hooligan - minimize communication, avoid unnecessary contact, stay polite and cheerful when must communicate, keep calm, stay humble and above all do not provoke them and try to defuse any potential conflict. These people are unhappy and on a power trip, with "extra rights" that they are happy to exercise (as experience had shown time and again)

On the other hand, no such feeling on foreign carriers - in particular in Asia, and clearly it's not just me. Anecdotally, it goes to an opposite extreme occasionally. On a recent flight on a Japan based low cost carrier, Chinese passenger in the emergency exit row refused to stow her bag or lift her seat back. Crew asked her somewhat meekly a few times and let her be. Is that good? - no. Perhaps too much, but given the choice of that and flying any of US big 3 "CON Air" - I choose the former.

IMHO, YMMV
Yes some may be on a power trip, however that is very few, most are just trying to do their job and deal with people who loose all common sense when entering an airport. Regarding the bag, I don't think that is fine to let it be, it is ultimately a safety issue, a few months ago I was on a flight who was asked to put his tray table up for takeoff, did it then put it back down when the FA left, I then asked him myself to put it up, saying "if we have to evacuate I don't want to deal with your tray table being in my way.". Unfortunately FAs have to act like 3rd grade teachers because people don't know manners on an airplane or think about others.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 17 at 4:26 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:34 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.8MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by br2k View Post

IMHO, YMMV
Again, fascinating response. How much do you actually fly? On what foreign carriers? On China Eastern they politely explain in perfect English to the entire plane how if you don't shut your phone off, not just put it in the airplane mode, but shut it off, you will be subject to penalties up to and including arrest.

In Asia, everyone follows the rules, the FA's are very polite and demur but break the rules and everything changes. I speak from vast experience.

Search this Thread