Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tmac100
Yup! As the Eagles sang: Every form of refuge has it's price. Humans are humans and their rationalization/private logic for their behaviour is quite amazing
Actually, the Eagles sang Every form of refuge has its price.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would say your friend is not an idiot. The Asia press has been slaughtering United all week, and this is being positioned as much as a racist issue as a service issue. Based on my own conversations with friends and customers over there, along with everything I've read on social media, I would say United is dead-on-arrival in that market for the foreseeable future and will either need to absolutely slash airfares in both cabins down to bare bones levels not seen before to entice travelers back, or prepare to write off any growth potential there, and plan for a major retracement in bookings.

The depth of this issue is unprecedented. Malaysian Airlines can crash airplanes left and right and still draw business, but United will end up faring worse from this incident.

For those trying to grasp the concept and effect here, let me draw an analogy - what would happen to Lufthansa's business to/from Israel if they were caught physically abusing Jewish passengers and using nazi salutes while doing it. That same emotional response is what is occurring in Asia today. It's just that bad,.

Nope. He's an idiot in my book. I've lost respect for him and ANYONE who believes everything they read on the Internet -- especially people who believe he was kicked off because he's Chinese. How ridiculous.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Nope. He's an idiot in my book. I've lost respect for him and ANYONE who believes everything they read on the Internet -- especially people who believe he was kicked off because he's Chinese. How ridiculous.
While some people (very few) believe he was kicked off because he's Asian, most just see the fact that United allowed the manhandling of someone Asian, which is true. If they refuse to ride United it would simply be out of self protection and a signal to United to treat people, but especially people like themselves, better. Surely you see the distinction.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
For those trying to grasp the concept and effect here, let me draw an analogy - what would happen to Lufthansa's business to/from Israel if they were caught physically abusing Jewish passengers and using nazi salutes while doing it. That same emotional response is what is occurring in Asia today. It's just that bad,.
I must have missed something in all the posts and news coverage. What behavior or action of the airline or airport police was the equivalent of Nazi salutes? Has any evidence surfaced that the selection or treatment of the passenger was racially motivated?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Has any evidence surfaced that the selection or treatment of the passenger was racially motivated?
There were various rumors where two people were asked to leave but they refused, and then they moved on to Dao. It's not clear whether that actually happened. Guess we'll find out in the lawsuit.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended

I would say your friend is not an idiot. The Asia press has been slaughtering United all week, and this is being positioned as much as a racist issue as a service issue. Based on my own conversations with friends and customers over there, along with everything I've read on social media, I would say United is dead-on-arrival in that market for the foreseeable future and will either need to absolutely slash airfares in both cabins down to bare bones levels not seen before to entice travelers back, or prepare to write off any growth potential there, and plan for a major retracement in bookings.

The depth of this issue is unprecedented. Malaysian Airlines can crash airplanes left and right and still draw business, but United will end up faring worse from this incident.

I think you lost your audience with that last paragraph. It's a preposterous comparison.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Anecdotally, this is been a good week for VX. I work for a satellite office of a big tech company in CA. On any given week 5-10 of us are flying DEN-SFO. Normally everyone flies UA due to schedule but seems like everyone's shifting to the VX flights.
yup, there's that one route VX flies from Denver. Of course, if you are going many other places VX isn't going to get you there.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I must have missed something in all the posts and news coverage. What behavior or action of the airline or airport police was the equivalent of Nazi salutes? Has any evidence surfaced that the selection or treatment of the passenger was racially motivated?
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you lost your audience with that last paragraph. It's a preposterous comparison.

You're obviously not understanding my point. Most of the outrage is occurring in Asia. There is a perception that this incident was all, or in part, racially motivated. Again, what we think or know here is irrelevant. It is the perception that matters. It is the perception that will drive people away from United.

My statement was made to help people here understand this perception by stating it using a more western historical context. Obviously, this is not what happened - but in the eyes of people in Asia reviewing this incident, the perception is similar to what I described as an analogy.

What this means is, customers in the US might might move on from this incident sooner and easier than customers in Asia, due to the difference in perception.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:46 pm
Suspended

There a quote somewhere that, the minute you use a Hitler/Nazi comparison in an argument, you've conceded defeat.

I understand your point, but the anecdote is poorly chosen.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
You're obviously not understanding my point. Most of the outrage is occurring in Asia. There is a perception that this incident was all, or in part, racially motivated. Again, what we think or know here is irrelevant. It is the perception that matters. It is the perception that will drive people away from United.
Shouldn't it also drive them away from the United States? Or is their perception that United-the-airline is racist and United-States-The-Overall-Country is just fine and safe? In other words, as long as you don't try to fly United Airlines and don't come across their carefully selected racist ORD nazi storm troopers, you will be fine?

I think most people are probably a bit smarter than that.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Well, while everyone else is boycotting UA, I plan to continue to buy on some combination of price, upgradeability and route, without regard to loyalty, as before. Just having had a couple of RPUs clear on a domestic route I had not anticipated, maybe things will improve with fewer flyers.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Well, while everyone else is boycotting UA, I plan to continue to buy on some combination of price, upgradeability and route, without regard to loyalty, as before.
^
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

My statement was made to help people here understand this perception by stating it using a more western historical context. Obviously, this is not what happened - but in the eyes of people in Asia reviewing this incident, the perception is similar to what I described as an analogy.

What this means is, customers in the US might might move on from this incident sooner and easier than customers in Asia, due to the difference in perception.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There a quote somewhere that, the minute you use a Hitler/Nazi comparison in an argument, you've conceded defeat.

I understand your point, but the anecdote is poorly chosen.
Found it...it's called Godwin's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Shouldn't it also drive them away from the United States? Or is their perception that United-the-airline is racist and United-States-The-Overall-Country is just fine and safe? In other words, as long as you don't try to fly United Airlines and don't come across their carefully selected racist ORD nazi storm troopers, you will be fine?

I think most people are probably a bit smarter than that.
Well part of the answer really needs to exist in Omni/PR - but yes, that perception of the US right now exists, but that's a separate issue.

As to United - there is a real, tangible perception that Dr Dao was targeted because he was Asian, and the way he was physically abused by the rent-a-cops in a such a violent, disrespectful manner, is also because he is Asian.

Again, nothing to do with right or wrong, accurate or not - it is the perception in that market right now that this is a racial issue more than just a police brutality or bad customer service issue.

Oscar's total mishandling of the issue just added more fuel to that fire, followed a few more similar stories popping out of the woodwork. For that reason, it is hard to forecast the likely damage to United in that market, even if the US market recoverers from its universal derision of this incident.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
We're at the point where too many people take too many moral stances about dumb crap. It makes a certain type of person feel good about themselves because I guess it makes their own plentiful moral failings look less bad.
I admire it when people take a stand for what they believe in - even if I disagree with them. This is the type of behavior that leads to meaningful change, and in this specific instance, it could potentially lead to positive change across the industry.

I totally understand why it is annoying or off-putting when people take a stand for what one may see as either a waste of time or an overreaction.

However, I respectfully disagree with the last statement of the above quote. I look at taking a stand to be a sign of good character and inner strength. Its difficult for me to understand how this is inferred into being a sign of moral failure?

in any case - to those who are taking a stand in some way, whether it's supporting United as a company or boycotting - I admire that you have chosen to take a stand and are acting on your convictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.