Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:10 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Haha. Too bad the guy isn't even Chinese.
I haven't seen anything say that he is or he isn't. I read he is vietnamese. But is he vietnamese of chinese descent?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by robinhood
You mean collateral damage of the "re-accomodation" process.
Which included "re-accomodating" his nose and several teeth.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MDJennings
I spoke to some compatriots in our HK office and they were more concerned about how this guy was a disgraced doctor (ie criminal). Small sample size, but hey.
My HK friends on Facebook are not happy with United. All of my Asian friends on Facebook are unhappy with United.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Do they actually only make $15/hr?? Seriously??
At ORD I believe all the United gate agents are mainline employees, so depending on seniority they currently earn between $13.75 an hour (new hire) to $29.87 an hour for an agent who's worked 11 years or more (that's the top out).

The union contract is here if you're interested in wonky labor relations jargon like I am: http://iam141.org/wp-content/uploads...tract_2016.pdf
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
My HK friends on Facebook are not happy with United. All of my Asian friends on Facebook are unhappy with United.
Why? Do they think that this guy was selected by the computer because he's Asian? If so, that makes them racists, because they think they should be excluded just because they're Asian.

No one deserves to be beat up by thugs, but playing the race card is no better
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Why? Do they think that this guy was selected by the computer because he's Asian? If so, that makes them racists, because they think they should be excluded just because they're Asian.

Doubt anyone thinks that the computer was programmed with a racist selection criteria. More likely the thought is that once selected by whatever algorithm, the treatment by the police officer would have been different if it had been a customer of another race. Whether that is true, we presumably don't know.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Haha I'm sure United will love this since you and your coworkers will no-show on non-refundable tickets so they'll get to double dip on overbookings. If you don't mind saying, what is the name of your company? I'll be sure to avoid investing in them if they're publicly traded due to how quick they are to squander funds.
Hopefully, United will be smart and overbook flights to a higher limit since there are going to be so many no-shows. Otherwise, they don't get the benefit of the moral outrage of throwing away tickets.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:53 pm

In my experience, Asian countries tend to be hyper-sensitive to any perceived worse treatment their nationals receive. Whether that is because they themselves might be 'supremacists' as far as their own people are concerned or because every bad thing that was ever done to an Asian nation's citizen was caused by racism, who knows.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not an exact analogy either. There are rules in the contact with UA that define conditions under which UA can modify what you "purchased" (transportation). E.g., they can cancel the flight and move you to another one (you can then ask for a refund). They can reschedule the flight time and you can under certain conditions ask for a refund or alternative reaccommodation. They can even cancel the route entirely and just give you the money back. "We don't fly to Louisville anymore, sorry. Here's your $200." Or they can discover that they have more ticketed passengers than available seats.
Yeah, they could cancel the flight and just shuttled the crew. They would still have a PR nightmare, maybe not as bad a PR nightmare, maybe even worse. Possible court battles for breaking contract. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

To your point, I am now reading that UA may have broken its contract of carriage rules with the passenger. UA didn't follow its own rules.

From United:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...iage.aspx#sec1
Oversold Flight means a flight where there are more Passengers holding valid confirmed Tickets that check-in for the flight within the prescribed check-in time than there are available seats.
The flight was not oversold. It was not an IDB.

The person has a ticket and is seated, it becomes RULE 21 REFUSAL OF TRANSPORT:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec21

The flight was not oversold. There were no weather, mechanical, or security issues. He was not failing to comply with flight duties (seatbelt, laptops, phones, etc..).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wonder what would have happened if this had been a Chinese carrier at a Chinese airport.

How would Chinese carriers and authorities handle a passenger not willing to deplane?

Reminded of http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-flights.html
They probably would have beat him and taken him off, versus take him off and allowing him to slip in the process. But the Chinese are a bit smarter - they would have ensured no cell phones were out during the process. The media is all censored in China so any videos wouldn't have gotten very far.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA

Who's playing the race card? This story is big regardless. It's big here in the USA and it has nothing to do because he is Asian. None of my friends believe he was picked because he was Asian.

I do believe it is getting even more press in Asia because he is Asian. Just like, Why does press in the USA go up when an American dies overseas vs non-Americans dying overseas?

I believe most Asians are disgusted by it because they can't fathom a top tier Asian airline like Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, ANA, Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, etc... doing something like this.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Do you remember when an outrage meant that United extended elite status for some people?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-outrage.html

I still chuckle when I remember that post from so long ago! Perspective!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good for you. The bad news is UA couldn't care less about you (or me).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Especially as you gave them money without them having to provide you any service by canceling non-refundable tickets. That is just crazy to throw money away like that.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Speaking of Apple, that's a company with a documented record of having products built by sweatshop laborers working unconscionably long hours. Was there a social media firestorm of people saying that people who continued to buy iPhones and iPads had no morals? I guess Apple's bad behavior doesn't hit as close to home for the average consumer as United's. Interesting priorities.
Not sure about how Apple Store employees behave these days. Some years ago I was treated by an employee with attitude like a smartaxx (u know nothing, I am smart and look down on others) and wanting me to leave. I avoid Apple products since after that unpleasant experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.