Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Old Apr 12, 17, 8:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
All the airlines have had bad PR incidents at some point. What will the United boycotters do when an incident happens on Delta, American, Southwest, etc? If people boycott an airline because of bad PR they will soon run out of airlines to fly.

As for me, I'm mostly a free agent now. I fly whoever has the best combination of price, schedule, and product. If that happens to be United then I'll book United.
Old Apr 12, 17, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Giggleswick View Post
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm a bit bemused by the widespread treatment of this incident, as awful as it was, as if it's the greatest threat ever to our civil liberties and well-being. I hope it isn't OMNI to say that I wonder if half as many people could get half as worked up about deadly pollution, worker safety, big pharma's prices, or any other of the life-or-death issues that lack a compelling viral video.
+1 ... The guy got roughed up. What about all the "innocent" people who die every year at the hands of Chicago Police? Why don't the companies cited in this thread prohibit their staff from traveling to Chicago? People need to get a grip. What happened was stupid and shouldn't have occurred but "tragic"? Give me a break.

As far as the boycotts; If people are going to boycott they should boycott the City of Chicago. The actual aggressor in this situation was an employee of the City and the same City has demonstrated a decades long pattern of abuse of nearly everyone their law enforcement comes in contact with. Instead of walking away from non-refundable tickets why not order employees not to set foot in the City of Chicago? It seems to be a far more effective way to punishing the hands that drew the blood.

If I was United I would be furious at the City for not stepping up and taking more of the heat here. I doubt very much that the agents who summoned the police reasonably expected the guy would be drug out semi-conscious after getting beat in his seat. I am sure they thought there would be some tough talking and perhaps some arm grabbing. The guy doing the removal should be in jail and the City should be standing up and saying THEY screwed up in using much more force than was needed. Instead, they are letting one of their largest corporate citizens stand alone.

Last edited by kenn0223; Apr 12, 17 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr View Post
So many knee jerk reactions by people & in this case a company. I get that some individuals are going to change future purchase plans due to the incident, but I can't understand throwing away something of value if it is non-refundable. But hey, its their money.

If I was United, I would not let people get their money back on non-refundable tickets because they are "appalled" and can't bear to fly on a plane carrying the UA logo. I can see the headlines "United won't give me my money back because I don't like them anymore". You purchased the ticket with restrictions (non-refundable)!!!
Some people apparently have what is called a conscious and do not agree with UA's practice of not only kicking passenger's off flights but the way this mess was handled from the start.

You don't find it appalling? I guess you have a very very different set of values from the majority.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
+1 ... The guy got roughed up. What about all the "innocent" people who die every year at the hands of Chicago Police? Why don't the companies cited in this thread prohibit their staff from traveling to Chicago? People need to get a grip. What happened was stupid and shouldn't have occurred but "tragic"? Give me a break.

As far as the boycotts; If people are going to boycott they should boycott the City of Chicago. The actual aggressor in this situation was an employee of the City and the same City has demonstrated a decades long pattern of abuse of nearly everyone their law enforcement comes in contact with. Instead of walking away from non-refundable tickets why not order employees not to set foot in the City of Chicago? It seems to be a far more effective way to punishing the hands that drew the blood.

If I was United I would be furious at the City for not stepping up and taking more of the heat here. I doubt very much that the agents who summoned the police reasonably expected the guy would be drug out semi-conscious after getting beat in his seat. I am sure they thought there would be some tough talking and perhaps some arm grabbing. The guy doing the removal should be in jail and the City should be standing up and saying THEY screwed up in using much more force than was needed. Instead, they are letting one of their largest corporate citizens stand alone.
That's hilarious. You know exactly why United is taking the heat -- it's because they agreed with the treatment. Until their stock price dropped 5%.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings View Post
Haha I'm sure United will love this since you and your coworkers will no-show on non-refundable tickets so they'll get to double dip on overbookings. If you don't mind saying, what is the name of your company? I'll be sure to avoid investing in them if they're publicly traded due to how quick they are to squander funds.
Wait, I thought you do not judge a company based on something they do?

I also thought nobody cares what you do, cause you are just one person.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:14 pm

Currently planning on booking a group of 6 people for end of May 2017:

IND - OMA - IND

Was just told at an travel booking meeting this evening (and another one tomorrow (Thursday) morning): No one wants me to book them on UAL!
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Giggleswick View Post
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm a bit bemused by the widespread treatment of this incident, as awful as it was, as if it's the greatest threat ever to our civil liberties and well-being. I hope it isn't OMNI to say that I wonder if half as many people could get half as worked up about deadly pollution, worker safety, big pharma's prices, or any other of the life-or-death issues that lack a compelling viral video.
Hating airlines has been in style for quite some time. People are trained to jump on stories involving airlines with a pre-formed conclusion already in mind, and the news media has an easy formula they can go to to sell more clicks/views.

Completely different situations, but the formula at play here is nearly identical to the leggings story a few weeks ago, or the black physician on DL a while back, or the random story about some guy losing his life savings because he packed all his rarest beanie babies in checked luggage.

This was indeed a horrible incident that deserves the attention it's getting, but it's getting this attention in part because it occurred in an industry that social expectations have taught everyone to hate.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
I am not going to change any travel plans and will continue to mainly fly UA. What other people do is their decision, not for me to comment on. Safe travels all.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by erlich View Post
That's hilarious. You know exactly why United is taking the heat -- it's because they agreed with the treatment. Until their stock price dropped 5%.
What were they supposed to do in the moment? Run up to the security guard and tell him to stop?

I somewhat believe them that they were trying to gather facts (likely also prying for it to blow over). The City was clearly the first to know they'd screwed up since their statement the following day was that they'd put the security guard on leave. They (the City) likely had much more information than United. Besides statements from the crew (not UA employees) and the ORD agents the best information UA likely had was the public video.

Given the clearly impending litigation I doubt the City is sharing anything with UA and likely gearing up for the lawsuit they know is coming.

While it's easy to jump to the conclusion that UA is trying to brush this under the rug perhaps consider for a moment that they are trying to do the right thing and are telling the truth. It seems they have moved in the right direction over the last few days. IMHO that could be because they are reacting to their stock price or, just perhaps, they are telling the truth and have revised their position as additional facts become available.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wolf72 View Post
Some people apparently have what is called a conscious and do not agree with UA's practice of not only kicking passenger's off flights but the way this mess was handled from the start.

You don't find it appalling? I guess you have a very very different set of values from the majority.
Not sure how my values came into question?? But no, I don't find this situation appalling. I view it as regrettable, unfortunate and avoidable. I save being appalled for things like genocide, using nerve agent on civilians/children... You know, the BIG stuff. Was Dr Dao wronged? Sure, but not to the level that so many seem to reach.

I also realize as a frequent flyer that IDB's (getting kicked off a plane) happens on all airlines. It seems that part of the visceral reaction to United is disdain for all airlines and their policy's and UA is the easy target now to focus that emotion. That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to claim it as fact.
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
We're at the point where too many people take too many moral stances about dumb crap. It makes a certain type of person feel good about themselves because I guess it makes their own plentiful moral failings look less bad.
Very well put!
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if people think police are just doing their job, what is next? pull a kill and start killing passengers who refuse their orders.

united can just offer VDB for 150 USD voucher and put you on a flight 72 hrs later.. if you dont accept, you are dead.
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
What were they supposed to do in the moment? Run up to the security guard and tell him to stop?

I somewhat believe them that they were trying to gather facts (likely also prying for it to blow over). The City was clearly the first to know they'd screwed up since their statement the following day was that they'd put the security guard on leave. They (the City) likely had much more information than United. Besides statements from the crew (not UA employees) and the ORD agents the best information UA likely had was the public video.

Given the clearly impending litigation I doubt the City is sharing anything with UA and likely gearing up for the lawsuit they know is coming.

While it's easy to jump to the conclusion that UA is trying to brush this under the rug perhaps consider for a moment that they are trying to do the right thing and are telling the truth. It seems they have moved in the right direction over the last few days. IMHO that could be because they are reacting to their stock price or, just perhaps, they are telling the truth and have revised their position as additional facts become available.

How do you justify the CEO sending an email out to all employees immediately after the incident and categorically blaming the passenger if a proper investigation has not been carried out and his statement to the press about the incident?

Why do you think people got more incensed and the stock price dropped?
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: Doing it for the lie flat. Kayaker, AS MP, MPO Silver, DL/AA nada
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
He's not a hero. He's an ........ He got hurt because he was committing a felony.

(Note: I do not think it was appropriate for him to be dragged off the plane after he hit his head - at that point force should have stopped and medical attention should have been provided.)
He's a blankety-blank who rocks the boat, and you're a rule follower. Congratulations. I'll give you the one-handed golf clap for that. I guess.

Meanwhile, some rules are just silly and stupid, and this was one of those times where that applied. Never mind that United rarely follows its own rules and makes up things to suit it as it goes along. We've had several members on this board follow the rules only to have United change things up in the middle of the game and stuff them. Why no concern about that?

Sorry, and this is not aimed specifically at you, but I'll take Dao's stand any day over any finger-wagging FlyerTalker who thinks the airline will give them a break because they look down their nose at someone who decided enough was blankin' enough.

That's the real story here. 98% of us find excuses and shrug the nonsense that United doles out every day off because it's either that or be subject to what happened to Dao. Well, he wasn't having it that Sunday. And I 100% feel where he's coming from and hope his stance is a catalyst for change (though, I suspect none will happen, so let him GET THAT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. )

BTW? You think he committed a felony. That hasn't been proven yet, and nobody's alleged he has.
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:22 pm

United has long had a culture of putting the customer last. Stopped flying them 10 years ago when I caught one of their baggage handlers stealing right out of my checked bag. Took me over a year to get resolution and they ignored my concerns and repeated attempts to communicate with them until I was on the verge of legal action. The CEO and Executive Management couldn't care less about their customers and it is a delight to see them get what they deserve. It would serve them well to replace their entire management . It is the only way to eradicate the destructive culture there. Shame on you United!

Search this Thread