Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
How's it working out? Isn't it obvious that nobody does a better job than United Airlines.
Surely, this is satire, right?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thread Maintenance

Discussions are overlapping in many threads, as this is a downgrade thread, the IDB policy discussion have been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...il-2017-a.html

and the IDB comparisons with other carries have been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

Let stay focused on the downgrade incident in this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by HomerJay
My understanding is that airlines' identifying FAM's is a serious violation of FAR's. When an FAM needs your seat, the FA cannot tell you it's for an FAM, but they often say it's for "operational reasons," or something non-specific.
Agreed. I didn't suggest the FA identify the FAM.

If you cancel the flight, the FAM will still go out in that seat on the next flight on that piece of equipment, so you won't accomplish anything by canceling the flight.
You will accomplish a non-violent way to get the pax whose seat the FAM wants, off the plane.

If it's an FAM matter, the rules are very, very specific what the airline must do, and any airline or airline employee that fails to cooperate fully is risking the most serious repercussions. If the FAM wants and requests a specific seat, there is no legal excuse for not providing it. It's not the FAM's job to clear the seat. It's the airline's job. And any employee who refuses to fulfill the airline's obligation might find that's their last flight.
If their is a pax sitting in the seat the FAM wants, the airline employee is under no obligation to forcibly move that pax. The employee's CEO has said, on national TV, that the employee never has to do that again.

So again: cancel the flight, which might impact the FAM's schedule. Or the FAM or his colleagues go to the pax to evict him.

If I am an employee given the choice between exposing my airline to a lawsuit or disobeying a FAM in the capacity as an airline employee then indeed, I will volunteer to make the flight I am working my last flight and resign.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
This should be intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers that any seating changes or denials should be done before the boarding pass is handed out.
Aren't many boarding passes printed at home the day before the flight?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Paid first class is inherently a bad buy for the reasons stated in this thread.
In general I would consider a reasonable resolution of a downgrade to be a cash rebate to the passenger greater than the difference between the fare paid and the lowest fare (e.g. United L class) for the actual assigned seat. Plus the passenger still receives other amenities such as earlier boarding or bonus miles.

Originally Posted by mre5765
You will accomplish a non-violent way to get the pax whose seat the FAM wants, off the plane.
I would expect to seek assistance starting with going to a superior (the captain in the case of an airplane) in the event of difficulty. That person would also be responsible for obtaining any needed cash or other resources that are agreed upon as being necessary or desirable towards achieving the desired results. That person in turn could appeal to someone yet higher up for further assistance. The more resources are left to the discretion of the rank and file employees to utilize, the fewer the number of instances that superiors are summoned for assistance.

Last edited by AllanJ; Apr 12, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Looking forward to all the bad PR for an airline that deserves it
Can't wait for the lax sit and wait for a gate craziness to start getting coverage
And yes I am a 17 + year 1k and GS
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
it's gotta be hell for GA now showing up for work, with everybody and their dog having a cell phone ready willing and able to record any anomaly, GA's are thinking I wonder if today is my day I make the national news....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mike1968
I had a similar annoyance turned to positive. After a TED swap on a bad weather day, each F pax was called to podium well before boarding. The situation was calmly explained. I was offered an F seat on the next flight (declined as weather was deteriorating) and I may not be remembering but thought I got miles and a voucher and an Econ plus seat. I do remember getting a sincere apology at gate and onboard with a comped snack box and drink...no one made a fuss...the customer service was expected and well thought.
(The bolding and underline is mine) That is the big difference to me. You stated that it was explained calmly, well before boarding. Think if it happened after you boarded and no one had talked to you about it. Yes equipment changes do happen, it is a fact of travel, but once you are boarded, seated and have been served they com on board and tell you you have to move/get off. NOT ask but tell you you have no option. JUST COMPLY or the airport goons will drag you off.

Makes for a whole different situation
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by mre5765
Agreed. I didn't suggest the FA identify the FAM.

If their is a pax sitting in the seat the FAM wants, the airline employee is under no obligation to forcibly move that pax. The employee's CEO has said, on national TV, that the employee never has to do that again.

So again: cancel the flight, which might impact the FAM's schedule. Or the FAM or his colleagues go to the pax to evict him.

If I am an employee given the choice between exposing my airline to a lawsuit or disobeying a FAM in the capacity as an airline employee then indeed, I will volunteer to make the flight I am working my last flight and resign.
Bottom line, money talks, and it's a lot cheaper to up the ante and get volunteers than it is to cancel and re-accommodate an entire flight. That's a third grade math word problem that UA failed, and really the bottom line in this entire scenario.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Back when United was United - and used Apollo - 7 years ago my aisle seat in COACH on a 767 turned into a middle on a 757. UA instantly deposited 9,000 miles. This was done by corporate. I was a 1K. Today this has turned into 'we don't guarantee seat assignments.' No compensation is volunteered.

The way UA treated this passenger is despicable. The airline should absolutely refund his entire FC ticket, give him another FC voucher and then write him that they're willing to donate $1,000 to his favorite charity but unfortunately they can't do $25K. What is wrong with United?? After UA became COdbaUA, OMG...
There were a lot of posts about how Ua gave out compensation for everything, and that was going to end. United would be 'run like a business'. That has worked out great. ��
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
I don't see what's wrong here. They switched planes and had a smaller 1st class cabin. After standys/upgrades, you'd still have to remove first class passengers if you don't have enough seats. What did he expect? For the airline to reconfigure the aircraft to fit him?
Well before co look over the ga would say 'we have an equipment swap, and need to move 4 people', anyone in f willing to take a downgrade for x compensation'. They would keep going until they got the seats. I gave up a sfo-den flight for $600 as I recall.

People who take things are thieves, what happened to the guy in the story was theft.

Originally Posted by naumank
Prior to the merger, I got 9K miles deposited after they changed an aircraft to TED which had no first class. So I was downgraded but I didn't complain. GS gave me the miles preemptively.

When I was on a 747 flying to China, the crew gave everyone a skykit for a minor issue in the onboard entertainment system.

After the merger, Smisek ran United into the ground and Munoz was complicit as a director on the board. I don't think United can win back customers' trust without heads rolling . Starting with Munoz and the BoD.
+1000

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2017 at 7:56 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
There were a lot of posts about how Ua gave out compensation for everything, and that was going to end. United would be 'run like a business'. That has worked out great.
The ghost of Smisek is still alive and well at UA, unfortunately.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2017 at 7:56 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:44 am

If it's an FAM matter, the rules are very, very specific what the airline must do, and any airline or airline employee that fails to cooperate fully is risking the most serious repercussions. If the FAM wants and requests a specific seat, there is no legal excuse for not providing it. It's not the FAM's job to clear the seat. It's the airline's job. And any employee who refuses to fulfill the airline's obligation might find that's their last flight.
That's fine, but it's my understanding that, as it currently stands, the applicable regulations are limited to the airline's relationship to the FAM, and United's CoC does not mention anything about the request of a FAM being a basis to remove a ticket holding passenger from a flight (EDIT: on second thought, this technically may not be correct).

Ideally, the the government would implement a regulation allowing the government to "claim" a ticketholding passenger's seat who has already boarded the plane. In the absence of such a regulation, the airline could amend its CoC to permit the airline to remove a passenger from a flight when necessary to satisfy the request of a FAM. However, without such a regulation or provision in the CoC, the formal legal term to describe United's position is "between a rock and hard place."
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
There were a lot of posts about how Ua gave out compensation for everything, and that was going to end. United would be 'run like a business'. That has worked out great.
Well, even as a legacy UA customer, I thought they gave out compensation for every little thing, which I didn't mind . The problem is they've gone too far. Now it seems they can cause a huge inconvenience for a passenger and often do nothing to compensate him. Not necessarily in this case, but just overall. It's one of the factors that contributes to all this bad press.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2017 at 7:57 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:37 am

It's not the fact that they have to IDB/Downgrade people that's the issue. Its when and how they do it. A company that continually threatens to use law enforcement to handle customer service issues that they created is going to be in big trouble.

If you have to do this kind of thing, you're going to need to blow people out of the water with compensation, not demand compliance.

One the plus side, I just found UA's new director of customer service
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
Originally Posted by naumank
After the merger, Smisek ran United into the ground and Munoz was complicit as a director on the board. I don't think United can win back customers' trust without heads rolling . Starting with Munoz and the BoD.
Exactly. The United Board of Directors and senior executives have ingrained a culture of greed and disrespect for passengers and employees. The entire BoD is responsible and should all be fired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.