Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Didn't Munroz have a heart attack and got a heart transplant?! Wonder how he'd feel if the doctor told him "sorry, someone else with a higher status than you needed your heart so we gave it to him instead." even though Munroz was 1st in line for the heart and was already getting ready to go to sleep in the OR...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

That ain't right.

If you paid for the first class ticket and then get involuntarily bumped down to economy they should at least refund you the difference in the cost, not give you a voucher for 500. That just means that they pocketed the profit without doing right for you.

I think what would have been fair would have been the difference in price and at least comp you a beverage no matter what status you are with the airline.

I think if vouchers were banned and airlines were forced to give you cash for the inconveniences then customer service would improve and loyalty still means something.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: none
I have only seen one mention of the word "FAM" in this context. I understand the need to keep the inner workings of Air Marshal operations unpublished, but what does an airline do when a FAM needs a seat at the last minute? (and seats have already been assigned, BP's issued, etc.) and then a smaller plane is substituted?

Point 2: If UA had known about the smaller plane substitution earlier, would the passenger in question even be able to buy a FC ticket in the first place?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
At least according to LAT's narrative, I'm not so keen on this Fearns character's DYKWIA attitude. But the issue is not about him. It's about UA's appalling policy of unconfirming a lesser customer to make way for a more "valuable" one. Seriously, yanking out an already seated pax is not good business practice no matter how much inconvenience it'd avoid for the supposed GS pax.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Didn't Munroz have a heart attack and got a heart transplant?! Wonder how he'd feel if the doctor told him "sorry, someone else with a higher status than you needed your heart so we gave it to him instead." even though Munroz was 1st in line for the heart and was already getting ready to go to sleep in the OR...
From my knowledge of the medical world (ie, greys anatomy), isn't that exactly how a heart transplant list works? If someone goes on the list and they have higher priority, they can get the heart that was going to you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HaveAGneissDay
That ain't right.

If you paid for the first class ticket and then get involuntarily bumped down to economy they should at least refund you the difference in the cost, not give you a voucher for 500. That just means that they pocketed the profit without doing right for you.

I think what would have been fair would have been the difference in price and at least comp you a beverage no matter what status you are with the airline.

I think if vouchers were banned and airlines were forced to give you cash for the inconveniences then customer service would improve and loyalty still means something.
Standard UA policy ("GG OVS") for a downgrade is
1) fare difference
and
2) a compensation voucher based on the distance, which would be $500 in this case

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Other than the fact the LA Times piece mistakenly speculates the higher-priority pax "probably had more miles or something" (was probably a GS or other VIP would be my thought), it's pretty damning of the bad attitude by many FAs.

What's really amazing is that 2 years ago, it was worse. By far.

Those calling for Oscar's head over this and the doctor on ORD-SDF should keep that in mind. Oscar can actually make things better. He already has done so to a huge degree over the Smisek days... still obviously has a long way to go.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's policy is to give a $500 e-cert for a downgrade on a flight of this length, plus a refund of the fare differential from F to Y. Which is exactly what they gave the "victim" here. This could be more or less than what would be due under EU261, depending on the fare paid.
My one beef with the laws is that this isn't in them. The protections for people who pay for F are minimal, as it seems like you can get sent to the back of the bus with no compensation whatsoever as the fare difference is to YUA.

This is an extreme case that doesn't really happen (and they don't oversell F), but it would be nice to see protections similar to IDB.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
My one beef with the laws is that this isn't in them. The protections for people who pay for F are minimal, as it seems like you can get sent to the back of the bus with no compensation whatsoever as the fare difference is to YUA.
No question the airlines get too easy a pass on involuntary downgrades. Though I've been successful in getting a downgrade refund based on a discount Y fare (believe it was a Q).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Notice how your story, and someone else who got upgraded on a flight to Asia, originated outside of the US? Did you notice that many agents working outside the US may actually live outside the US, maybe even be a race that is not commonly present in the US? Maybe have different culture and values?
Did you ever think there might be an issue with agents in the US?
That is entirely possible. But, I have also noticed that at domestic airports with an international terminal, there tends to be a difference in the attitude of CSRs. SFO comes to mind where the international CSRs often seem to be a bit more welcoming and friendly. However, there are welcoming and friendly CSRs just about everywhere. Lots of the other kind, too.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

UA's policy is to give a $500 e-cert for a downgrade on a flight of this length, plus a refund of the fare differential from F to Y. Which is exactly what they gave the "victim" here. This could be more or less than what would be due under EU261, depending on the fare paid.
Yeah. After the passenger called in and asked for it, which is what I've had to do. This is after threatening handcuffs, after foolishly allowing boarding, after the passenger having to negotiate for a Y seat.

Don't you see that there is a reasonable and customer friendly way to handle this stuff?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by looktowindward
This is after threatening handcuffs, after foolishly allowing boarding, after the passenger having to negotiate for a Y seat.
I don't put much stock in the first person, totally uncorroborated DYKWIA story, which if you drop the drama reduces to "UA swapped aircraft and I lost my F seat and wound up flying economy. And then UA comped me per its policies." As previously stated, I don't see any grand injustice there.

The thing about what happened in Chicago, we can all see for ourselves what really went down.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:57 pm

I don't put much stock in the first person, totally uncorroborated DYKWIA story, which if you drop the drama reduces to "UA swapped aircraft and I lost my F seat and wound up flying economy. And then UA comped me per its policies." As previously stated, I don't see any grand injustice there.

The thing about what happened in Chicago, we can all see for ourselves what really went down.
Actually, United comped him after he asked for it. Any reasonable airline would have just cut him a check automatically, as they OWED him the difference in fare. I've been in exactly this situation - its United's policy to compensate in flight certs rather than providing proper refunds, as you know.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by deskover54
From my knowledge of the medical world (ie, greys anatomy), isn't that exactly how a heart transplant list works? If someone goes on the list and they have higher priority, they can get the heart that was going to you.
But once you get the heart, it doesn't get ripped out of your chest no matter who else goes on the list.

Bumping someone due to an equipment swap is fine, but you do it BEFORE they board. Likewise, a hotel can deny you a room, but you don't go into a room you've already assigned to someone for the night and kick that person out. You accommodate the person who has arrived when no rooms are available in an upgraded room type, in a downgraded room type with extra compensation, or at another hotel, preferably one that's nicer.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by looktowindward
Actually, United comped him after he asked for it. Any reasonable airline would have just cut him a check automatically, as they OWED him the difference in fare. I've been in exactly this situation - its United's policy to compensate in flight certs rather than providing proper refunds, as you know.
Does UA customer service totally suck sometimes? Absolutely.

Was this guy the victim of some gross injustice? I just don't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.