Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
However I understand that it makes no sense for the VDB to go over the IDB max.
Actually, as of today, it makes a LOT of sense for the VDB amount to go over the IDB max
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Everyone is all over United policies, but does anyone know whether it was United personnel or personnel from Republic Airlines (the regional carrier that operated the flight) that was calling the shots here?

I would think the crew and ground staff were all Republic people. Anyone have any idea of how the United/Republic contract works? Whose policies decide how much gets offered for VDB? Who was the airline that wanted to bump four pax for crew members?

If United made the decisions and they called the shots, thats one thing, but if it was Republic Airline corporate policies that caused the issue, then that's something to consider. If its the latter, I wonder whether this will have an impact on United's contractual relationship with Republic going forward???
I know this much, Republic was formed much like GoJet as a union busting tool. Their whole mantra is cost containment. I know the miserable two years I had to fly on their regional that they consistently offer lower VDB's than UA mainline. When I was a 1K, UA mainline could go up to $1200 on a VDB without supervisor approval but Republic maxed out at $800. With supervisor approval, I've seen UA mainline go as high as $1600, but I've never seen Republic go over $1200.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:42 pm

Chicago Police

This really is a Chicago Police issue
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
It was one incident that spiraled out of control.
I am not going to faux outrage and boycott. But I don't fly United so that's irrelevant.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Sulley
This is insane - where is the outrage for all the other events perpetrated by airlines (including UA).

What makes this event special?
Video.

Ray Rice doesn't lose his running back job without video.
Adrian Peterson beats his kid with a stick, no video, gets a job.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Outrage over United Airlines’ violent removal of a passenger in Chicago has crossed the Pacific, extending the company’s public relations fiasco to one of its most crucial international markets.
The haunting cellphone video, which shows an Asian man hurled from his seat and dragged off a flight Sunday, inundated Chinese social media Tuesday and evoked tens of thousands of livid responses.
Viewers picked up on translated comments from a fellow passenger that suggested the unidentified man thought he was selected “because I’m Chinese.”
Many accused the company of racism and urged customers to stop booking flights on United. The topic drew 110 million readers on Weibo, a Chinese rival to Twitter, and more than 72,000 comments. Petitions to boycott the airline circulated on the popular social media app WeChat.“Why are Chinese being bullied everywhere?” said one user on Weibo, where it became the day’s most popular topic.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...411-story.html
Yikes that's not good and as a UAL shareholder I know how valuable those long-haul routes to China are but wonder if the "re-accommodation" from hell could place those routes in a rather tenuous condition ?
This is funny. The good Dr. is Vietnamese, and China has murdered dozens of Vietnamese in their illegal annexation of the Paracels and Spratleys. I would venture to say that the Vietnamese public hates China.

All Asians are not the same.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This entire thread is nonsense. Airport Police and CPD are to blame for this. Protest them not United. Thats all I'm saying here.
With all due respect, CPD would never have been involved if airline personnel had not lied to them. This was a simple breach of contract issue, that never required intervention by CPD. Unfortunately since 9/11 there is too much deference to airline staff, even in situations like this where there is no hint of terrorism or danger to crew or other passengers.

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
This is BS. IDBs happen everyday and no one has ever cared. Now all of a sudden everyone is outraged about IDB policies, and these social media warriors are all of a sudden airline experts? The only reason anyone cares is because the man was bloodied and mistreated by police. So just by that reasoning alone the group we should be outraged with is the police, not United. If you were truly upset by United's IDB policies you should have spoken up years ago. But you're not upset at United's IDB policies, you're mad at the police. So channel your energy towards them.
Umm, no. I would bet if you ask anyone who has been IDB'd that you would receive a different answer. Everyone cares, but nobody is willing to take up the fight because DOT permits airlines to overbook and then lets them use IDB to fix their problem. Airlines contribute heavily to politicians, who in turn oversee DOT budget. So resistance was futile.

That has all changed now, thanks to this courageous man. Now, the IDB problem is receiving the attention it deserves. The sad thing is that this is an issue that could easily have been fixed through application of simple free market principles. Instead UA chose to resolve through use of force, because it did not want to pay the price. Disgusting.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boraxo
With all due respect, CPD would never have been involved if airline personnel had not lied to them.
I must have missed the part of airline staff lying to the CPD in the mega thread (no time to keep up with it). What happened, and will the airline personnel be charged with lying to a police officer?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
This entire thread is nonsense. Airport Police and CPD are to blame for this. Protest them not United. Thats all I'm saying here.
I am not going to back of the fact the passenger is also to blame for part of this. I can assure you no matter how bad a personal situation got for me on a plane I would not take it to the point of being dragged off by police
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
With all due respect, CPD would never have been involved if airline personnel had not lied to them. This was a simple breach of contract issue, that never required intervention by CPD. Unfortunately since 9/11 there is too much deference to airline staff, even in situations like this where there is no hint of terrorism or danger to crew or other passengers.

Umm, no. I would bet if you ask anyone who has been IDB'd that you would receive a different answer. Everyone cares, but nobody is willing to take up the fight because DOT permits airlines to overbook and then lets them use IDB to fix their problem. Airlines contribute heavily to politicians, who in turn oversee DOT budget. So resistance was futile.

That has all changed now, thanks to this courageous man. Now, the IDB problem is receiving the attention it deserves. The sad thing is that this is an issue that could easily have been fixed through application of simple free market principles. Instead UA chose to resolve through use of force, because it did not want to pay the price. Disgusting.
I have been IDB's, more than once and NEVER left via the police dragging me down the middle aisle. Plenty of ways everyone involved could have behaved better.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by trk1
Agreed!!!! It's really sad how far this story has gone without really seeing the real issue here.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

With all due respect, CPD would never have been involved if airline personnel had not lied to them. This was a simple breach of contract issue, that never required intervention by CPD.
Originally Posted by trk1
Chicago PD isn't involved at all.

Chicago police officers weren't even on that United Express plane Sunday evening at O'Hare International Airport, yet somehow their department has also taken a beating.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...11-column.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:30 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Maybe police/cpd can be blamed for the actual event, but I completely blame united for not making it right for this person as soon as it could and not acknowledging for over 24 hours that this shouldn't have happened. United had 100% control of the situation after the event, and did nothing meaningful.

If someone trips over a cable in my house and falls and breaks a hip, I still apologize for what happened, and not say, your fault for not looking. I help them up and get them the care they need.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
No, they weren't. I've been in the middle of an airplane debacle, at ORD on a UA Republic flight and it was actually the Chicago PD who kept the Aviation police from unnecessarily cracking skulls. I saw the same video you did, there was no Chicago PD on that plane, just the goons I remember the Chicago PD going out of their way to say "no, you are not needed, you can exit the plane, we don't need your assistance, we got it handled."
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by kale73
Here's a thought: next time a GA announces that the airline "is looking for volunteers..." EVERYONE in the gate area bum rushes the desk demanding to be VDBd.
Uhm... sometimes that actually happens. And what the GA does is put all those people on a VDB list. And then takes a person off from the top of the list one-by-one as their seat is needed. The rest get told to board the plane. A long time ago, United used to give a $25 flight credit voucher for those people who volunteered, but whose seats were not needed in the end. Maybe that practice should be re-introduced. And it's much easier now as it would be in the form of an e-cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.