Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
You are incorrect.
Then please let me know where I'm mistaken. Seriously, curious about that.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
If you don't use a voucher for the entire amount (e.g., use a 800 dollar voucher for a 400 dollar ticket) you lose the remaining value.
This is not correct. You can keep using the cert's residual up to its full value.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
UA needs to jettison Republic Airlines, as most of the pilots I've talked to have pointed out, this is really their fault. Maybe UA can buy NoJet, I mean GoJet, some more equipment. I've flown on business for 31 years, and the only incidents like this I've ever witnessed or being involved in were directly attributable to the stupidity of self-deputized Republic Airlines FA's. Republic seems to have the most toxic work culture I've ever seen, the older FA's cling on to their positions jealously and the younger FA's tolerate the older FA's playing tin-pot dictators just long enough to get out of Republic and onto UA mainline. At least, that's my opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Listen to your customers!

Pretty basic rule of business. We all get the surveys after every flight but obviously they are not looking at them.
I've been replying to them for years. The result is bad service - still- bad gate agents, bad FA that don't care and ultimately a poor product.
They have a systemic culture problem of not caring.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
He is of Vietnamese decent, not CN. Vietnamese do not like CN and vice versa, why would this affect CN passengers.
Dao is Vietnam-born ethnic Chinese. The Chinese attach nationality and citizenship to bloodline (jus sanguinis), not place of birth (jus soli). Dao can therefore be considered as a Chinese citizen even if he had never stepped foot in China all his life.

Just watched Oscar's GMA interview. As someone who has prepared and questioned hundreds of witnesses under oath, it was obvious he was very carefully prepped and scripted.... Did not leave me especially confident that we will see meaningful change in how UA operates, but only time will tell.
When Munoz was asked whether Dao deserves any blame, the 2-second pause before answering "no" was real, unscripted, and unfortunate. UA is in a crisis of historical proportions. It calls for strong leadership, maybe Munoz can grow into that role but I'm not confident.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:05 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
As to being a Physician, I am an ER DOC and while my schedule is different than a Physician in private practice, I am fairly confident that if the man did not make it home that night, his patients would have been taken care of by the Physician covering him. It is standard community practice for a Physician to have coverage when he/she is not able to personally care for the patient.
Depends on how busy the practice is. If you have over a 1 week wait for new patients, and see 30 patients a day, missing one day is pretty catastrophic.

Coverage is typically for patient issues, not seeing them in the office. Emergent patients can be squished in, but all non-emergent stuff has to wait.

I was gone for 8 business days. I'm scheduled out for two weeks unless there is a cancellation
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
UA is in a crisis of historical proportions. It calls for strong leadership, maybe Munoz can grow into that role but I'm not confident.
I can't help but wonder whether this is too much to ask him to bear given his relatively recent heart transplant.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AYEBREH
The passenger already boarded any one defending this .... is ridiculous.
Contracts of carraige and overbooking need to be vastly regulated.
A nyone accepting the status quo is stupid

Oh there will be sales. They dont fly out of jfk to asia anyway and the places they do, have competitors. they'll lose a good chunk of the asian ff,immigrant flyers,which from my experience is mostly packed with native asian people in coach whose media outlets are all reporting on this

Well, might I suggest you take a look around.

I am one of those long-haul TPAC fliers to Asia and SE Asia. I fly more than one airline on my routes. While economy might be filled with many families, children etc, there are a lot of business fliers who work for companies that do not allow anything more than lowest economy fares.

Further, in the premium cabins on my routes, I note that J is full of Chinese ranging from execs to families to the frequent flying students who go back and further from their studies here to family there.

That said......

This is on UA's own site, and below it is a list of UA's routes to destinations in China and the list does not include Hong Kong which you know has a wealthy and influential Chinese population.

UA will have to win back not just the Chinese, but any and all of those customers who are furious and disgusted. It will take more than seat sales.

(And frankly, who cares about JFK. It's not UA's hub anymore.)

Flights to China from the US

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/con...-to-China.aspx

Attached Images  
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I can't help but wonder whether this is too much to ask him to bear given his relatively recent heart transplant.
I'm thinking the same way. Where is Jim Whitehurst by the way. Isn't he on the UAL board?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's been over a decade since I bought a ticket to fly UA. Between the needless delays and poor customer service that I've received from them, I will never buy a ticket from them again and I live in near on of their hubs.

This latest incident with dragging the MD off the plane is a microcosm of their issues with poor planning and poor recovery from their own self-inflicted issues.

I still have my account, but that is used if I fly any other *A airline, not UA.

So, for me, UA lost me a long time ago. This is just reason #9230 to never consider them again.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:09 pm Reason: Added last paragraph
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
The original post is what must UA do to improve.

This was a UX flight. For me, there needs to be a tough person who oversees contracts with UX carriers and hold them to some short of standard.

First, I do understand that many of the UX workers are paid low wages and their sense of loyalty is often very low. My sense is many get minimum training. I often experience 2-3 staff at the gate working on one situation because they have difficulty with the processing the situation.

I have been on too many UX flights where it is announced, "Because of the short duration of the flight, there will not be a beverage service. Excuse me a 50 seater, flight over an hour and it is too short to provide service. There is tremendous inconsistency on what one will get on a UX flight.

I used to laugh whenever I was on A concourse at IAD. It least a 1/3 of the time, the English was so poor I could not understand what was being announced.

I have some great cabin crew on UX flights and others who have so much attitude they should be working for the DMV.

Particularly airports that are UX only, flight delays can stretch the work day for ground staff to an eternity. I don't know how to resolve that but I just know when a 10 pm arrival becomes a 230 am arrival, I am not greeted by the best folks who are being paid low wages with no incentives.

I know that who gets the UA contract is the lowest bidder which often turns into low level of service.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssk1127
UA fans will scoff, but the only way to "fix" this for UA is to visibly fire everyone in the chain of command from the gate agent to the CEO who created this debacle. It's a cultural problem at the company that won't be fixed with a social media campaign.

This...this is point on. It will happen again on UA because it is there culture, it is in their bloodstream to treat people like this. Oscar will find it very difficult to change the way people go about their business when they have been doing things a specific way for so long.

Case in point...When the NYPD brought on a new Police Commissioner a few years ago, Bill Bratton, and got rid of Ray Kelly, the intention was to get away from broken window policing and that is, issue a summons for every violation witnessed no matter what. With Kelly, no discretion was allowed, activity was the name of the game. Exit Kelly and enter Bratton. Bratton tried training all top level NYPD brass that activity was no longer the name o the game but quality policing. I can tell you first hand that some of the old time PD bosses just didn't get it and for a # of reasons. Same theory with UA, some of the old time executives, down to the front line folks will have to be terminated in order for a truly new UA to take shape. Other wise it will be more of the same in years to come....

Meet the new united, same as the old United
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: alaska air, united, marriott
I'm a 1k, two million miler.
Oscar must go. In my whole life, I don't think I've every seen anyone more tone deaf. The multiple responses compound the damage.
Airline must implement 'confidence builders' to try (I say try because attempts may be futile) to convince folks that the airline is going to turn things around and become truly customer focused.
Yes, Jeff took down the airline. But Continental was a smooth running, wonderful operation under Gordon Bethune. Over the years, he promoted the merger. Bring him back to run things for a couple of years - he has shown that he can turn things around quickly.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Even a high school club debater knows how to look up sources before accusing someone of making up stats. You have no idea what defines "frequent flyer." Nor do you understand that "20% frequent flyers generating 80% revenues" is meaningless without knowing how many of them are elite/non-elite, or if they are silver/gold/platinum...

I explained in this recent thread that up to 95% of the passengers may be non-elite, and that they generate about 75% of the airlines' revenues. It's an undeniable fact that non-elite passengers are the bread-and-butter of all U.S. air carriers. An airline that treats non-elite pax like the scourge, like UA has been doing, is doing so at its own peril.

Beginning with Tilton, UA had adopted increasingly antagonistic attitudes toward general MP members in favor of the so-called "elites." The blowback directed at UA now is coming from the long lines of pax who remember being belittled and mistreated by UA's handling of IDBs, irrops, etc. WN, on the other hand, made its success by targeting the 95%. DL got smart too, post-bankruptcy, and learned that there are many 2-4x per year flyers, not enough for "elite," who also buy expensive fares. If Munoz desires to right the UA ship, he should start by looking at where most of his company's revenues are coming from.
lighten up there...i've been a fa for over 30yrs & have seen the best & worst of people from both sides. every year we go to training & they throw stats at us re pax, satisfaction etc etc. One thing they remind us of constantly is FC and a certain % of Y pax are the meat & potatoes & the rest of the unwashed masses in Y(learned that term on this forum btw) are gravy, mostly once or twice a year pax who shop by price price & price, esp on intl flts. I do it too when I rent cars or book hotels.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Today's Wall Street Journal got it right: UA is a horrible airline and deserves a boycott.
Economists say that boycotts do not work.

Do Boycotts Work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.