Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by hejiranyc
First of all, the United brand has been toxic for a long time - way before leggings-gate and this most recent incident. Now it is downright radioactive. I think it's time to re-brand; perhaps consider bringing back Continental. Given all of the ill will against this brand, I think it will be impossible to reverse the damage.

I think that apologizing profusely for the treatment of the ORD passenger and acknowledging the tone deafness of Oscar's initial response is a given. But United also has to own up to being 110% wrong, address/eliminate this practice of overbooking flights and they need to make their amends to this passenger in a very public, transparent way. I also have to add, as a person of color, that United must acknowledge the questionable optics of singling out the Asian man on the flight, knocking him around like garbage and then dragging him down the aisle like a dead animal; as if Asians were subhumans who were not deserving of decent treatment. This would have NEVER EVER EVER EVER happened to a white woman, let alone a white man. The UA employee who "randomly" chose this passenger obviously (or subconsciously) chose a meek little Asian person who they thought would be least likely to protest or cause a stir. And we all know that booting off a black person would have touched off a sh**storm in the media. Anyway, that calculation backfired. Big time! My initial visceral reaction about the role of race in this incident has been largely validated by others posting on social media. This is really, really bad for UA.

Finally, UA, has to learn a thing or two from the airlines with the loyalist adherents. Southwest, for example. Their focus has to be on the customer and not the blind ambition to generate revenue via nickel-and-dime fees and exploiting every opportunity to gouge the customer. They can also lower mileage redemption rates and increase mileage awards (back to where they were a few years ago, for starters). By acknowledging their wrongdoing and demonstrating to the public how it has learned from its grave mistakes and how it intends to develop innovative, customer-centric services for its passengers, they can save themselves. The continued denial of wrongdoing is not a winning strategy.
United Airlines is a crappy airline, no doubt about that, but I have seen zero evidence that they are racist. The Chinese people making similar accusations on social media, and you, can imagine that UA is racist all you like, but it doesn't make it true. That is not the issue and pretending that it is will not solve the problem. Put your race card back where it belongs -- in the garbage.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Originally Posted by wolf72
Real clowns and a half. You wonder why people are leaving these airlines and switching to the middle eastern and asian airliners in droves.

But it's a pity if you have to deal with them/fly with them due to company rules in the States.

The sad part is, the agent will do it to someone else tommorrow and he`/she will just carry on with that screwed up attitude.
I'm flying to FSD (Sioux Falls) this week what Middle Eastern and Asian carriers serve FSD?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: None anymore
I think that United could do a couple of things.... You really need to entice passengers and show them that they matter. Reward loyalty and show empathy. If I was in a decision making position I would do the following:

1. Match AA with 8 GPU's.
2. To use a GPU you still need to buy W or above, however once you purchase it's confirmed at booking. No need to waitlist, and you get guaranteed use of your instrument. I firmly believe this would entice frequent fliers to consider United again.
3. Increase Voluntary denied boarding amount and mimic Delta with their "always voluntary" motto. Everyone has a "price."
4. Get rid of this "basic economy" crap. It's just a way to tack on extra fees. It makes the airline look slimy.
5. First checked bag free. I'm sure the airline makes a ton of money from this, but it would free up so much overhead bin space. I'm an Asia-primary traveler and I never have problems with overhead bin space.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by warrenw
I think that United could do a couple of things.... You really need to entice passengers and show them that they matter. Reward loyalty and show empathy. If I was in a decision making position I would do the following:

2. To use a GPU you still need to buy W or above, however once you purchase it's confirmed at booking. No need to waitlist, and you get guaranteed use of your instrument. I firmly believe this would entice frequent fliers to consider United again.
3. Increase Voluntary denied boarding amount and mimic Delta with their "always voluntary" motto. Everyone has a "price."
4. Get rid of this "basic economy" crap. It's just a way to tack on extra fees. It makes the airline look slimy.
5. First checked bag free. I'm sure the airline makes a ton of money from this, but it would free up so much overhead bin space. I'm an Asia-primary traveler and I never have problems with overhead bin space.
Really? What percentage of flyers are top tier on United? Rewarding a small percentage won't really help UA that much considering the dire situation they keep putting themselves in.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Really? What percentage of flyers are top tier on United? Rewarding a small percentage won't really help UA that much considering the dire situation they keep putting themselves in.
Lol of the ideas I had only the first two had to do with elites, and both of them were about the same thing. Either way, it's about marketing and if you're able to have a marketable program, it's going to bring in more fliers who are going to try and go for your status.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

AA and DL also have a "basic economy" product. What I really wish is that search engines (i.e. Google, Expedia, Orbitz, ITA Matrix) would let you exclude those product from searches (rather than just slapping a caveat about "restricted baggage" in place). Frankly, I've always skewed towards booking F, but the presence of those products has made me all but allergic to even checking Economy prices for fear of getting stuck with a "gotcha" fare.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime

No more 8 EVIPs on AA. Only 4 now.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
AA and DL also have a "basic economy" product. What I really wish is that search engines (i.e. Google, Expedia, Orbitz, ITA Matrix) would let you exclude those product from searches (rather than just slapping a caveat about "restricted baggage" in place). Frankly, I've always skewed towards booking F, but the presence of those products has made me all but allergic to even checking Economy prices for fear of getting stuck with a "gotcha" fare.
You're right, but Southwest doesn't. Virgin doesn't. Alaska doesn't. What do these airlines have in common? Customers love them.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by shortkidd
No more 8 EVIPs on AA. Only 4 now.
Ouch. Well they should up it to 8 anyway, just to blow the competition away :P
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Ouch. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/u...-airlines.html

So apparently people who have heard of the UA3411 incident, would pick AA at equal rates, if the AA flight was roughly $60 more expensive (compare with 81% who would pick UA, the cheaper option, among people who had not heard of UA3411). If priced identically, only 21% would choose UA, who had heard of this incident (compare with 49% who would pick UA among those who had not heard of UA3411).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
The please help us stay in business fare sale

$49 for short flights, $99 for mid-cons and $129 for coast-to-coast. At these prices not all we be forgiven but a lot will be forgotten.

The demographic of people posting on Flyertalk his heavily skewed to elite frequent flyers who depend on air travel for their livelihoods. 80% of the flying public is not in that demographic they choose on airline on price first, schedule 2nd and customer service reputation maybe 3rd.

If you ask an average flyer who is not concerned about earning miles or points and has to fly ORD/SDF like Mr. Dao did would you choose airline A at $82 or Airline B at $99 they will almost unanimously chose airline A at $82. It's a short flight service doesn't enter into the decision making process.

Even on longer flights where customer service may enter into the decision making process look at the success of Spirit and Allegiant, both have horrible reputations for service and fees but their planes are full and Wall St. loves them.

Last edited by Paul510; Apr 17, 2017 at 9:31 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Paul510
$49 for short flights, $99 for mid-cons and $129 for coast-to-coast. At these prices not all we be forgiven but a lot will be forgotten.

At those prices, United would be holding a "going out of business" sale!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The demographic of people posting on Flyertalk his heavily skewed to elite frequent flyers who depend on air travel for their livelihoods. 80% of the flying public is not in that demographic they choose on airline on price first, schedule 2nd and customer service reputation maybe 3rd.

If you ask an average flyer who is not concerned about earning miles or points and has to fly ORD/SDF like Mr. Dao did would you choose airline A at $82 or Airline B at $99 they will almost unanimously chose airline A at $82. It's a short flight service doesn't enter into the decision making process.

Even on longer flights where customer service may enter into the decision making process look at the success of Spirit and Allegiant, both have horrible reputations for service and fees but their planes are full and Wall St. loves them.
And just change the name on the sides of the airplane to Spirit and charge extra for everything else.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

Yeah, I noticed that when I did a search on google.com/flights for a possible DFW-DEN trip. UA is $49, even cheaper than Spirit.

Everyone knows that Spirit and Allegiant are cheapie airlines, but "incompetent" is not something they're known for, just no-frills and fees for everything. You know what you're getting into.

United's problem is that the incompetence and mistreatment is random and has the potential to be much worse than having to pay $3 for a bottle of water. I would think most people would prefer to pay $3, or even $30 if they're really thirsty, for a bottle of water if they know the staff isn't going to treat them like garbage, from check-in to boarding to in-flight.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
United Airlines will make some modifications to their previous protocols, but my money is that they won't change much. The overwhelming majority of the flying public, who might fly once a year on a family vacation, only cares about two things:

1. Flight safety
2. Price

Will this airline get me to my destination or will the plane crash due to insufficient maintenance or because we're flying on fumes? Is this the lowest price I can expect to pay to fly from A to B? Yes? Book it.

As more and more people switch over to other carriers three things will happen:

1. As demand at other carriers goes up, so will their ticket prices. Eventually the difference between them and UA will simply be too high to ignore.

2. As UA's demand takes a hit they will respond by lowering their fares (short-mid term) in order to increase capacity. People are more likely to take the bait.

3. As demand to fly with other airlines increases, the chances of the flight being overbooked increase as well. Passengers thinking "if I book with x and not UA, my chances of being bumped are nill" will be getting a very rude awakening.

With time people will forget about the Dao incident and start going back to UA until a 'market equilibrium' is reached again. Bottom line; safety and price determine where you book about 90% of the time for the overwhelming majority of people walking in airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.