Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
This is the same as Non-rev issue.

General public doesn't understand, they think a "Random" person was chosen and removed from the plane. Instead of the facts, which are quite different.
Exactly. The times we live in I guess with how easily available social media is and how easy it is to whip out a phone and record. Thank heavens it wasn't an african american pax or this would have been even worse because even more people would say United chose them based on race than the ones who already are.

Funny also how you don't see anyone so concerned for the man volunteering their seat to stay behind...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Non-elites are every airlines' bread-and-butter. They account for as much as 95% of the passenger mix, and 75% of the revenues. This is not saying that airlines should forget about the tiered elites. It's more about changing the antagonistic attitude toward those who are just general members of the FFP.
83% of statistics are made up on the spot ! 😁

I've read 20% of the pax(frequent flyers) produce 80% of the revenue.

Hmmm
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adambrau
Just on CNN - NJ Gov. Chris Christie, perhaps getting back at United for turning evidence on the Port Authority's David Sampson for the "Chairman's Flight", has sent a letter to Donald Trump to ask for a review on airlines' practice of overbooking.
When Chris Christie starts pitching himself as a consumer advocate, you know you've dug yourself a truly enormous hole . . . .
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:27 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Well, at least they finally released the statement that should have been released first time around. It's a start.

Whoever penned the original statement whilst desperately trying to wipe the metaphorical vaseline from UA's rear ought to consider a change of career.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by featheroleather
83% of statistics are made up on the spot ! ��

I've read 20% of the pax(frequent flyers) produce 80% of the revenue.

Hmmm
You're entitled to your opinion. Source? BTW, what constitutes "frequent flyers" in your reading?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
How does UA win back the flying public?

Simple: it continues doing exactly what it's currently doing: engaging in business as a near-monopoly (with the 2 other legacy carriers in the US).

The traveling public has no real choice, with only 3 legacy carriers.

Hopefully public policy will encourage new market entrants.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adambrau
Not saying this isn't going to have a material impact on UA bookings in Asia. But most people who live in Asia, unless they are tied by corporate contract to United or Delta or American - wouldn't be caught dead on United by choice. Especially those people who buy full fare F class. Honestly, American carriers have always had a tough time competing in Asia even since the days of Pan Am because of different cultural norms.
My friend works in Japan and has flown UA several times to the USA for business. They were all code shares with ANA. He does try to get ANA metal if he can, unless the UA code share option is much cheaper or a better time.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Simple: it continues doing exactly what it's currently doing: engaging in business as a near-monopoly (with the 2 other legacy carriers in the US).

This post nails it dead on. They don't need to do anything. They can continue on their merry way, charging $700 or $800 for flights that would cost $150 in Europe or Asia, employing surly FAs who make $75K/year, doing whatever they please. As long as they can keep the Richard Bransons, and the Norwegians, and all the other competition out, they've got us.....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
This post nails it dead on. They don't need to do anything. They can continue on their merry way, charging $700 or $800 for flights that would cost $150 in Europe or Asia, employing surly FAs who make $75K/year, doing whatever they please. As long as they can keep the Richard Bransons, and the Norwegians, and all the other competition out, they've got us.....
75k a year for FA's? lol. Maybe one's who have worked for 40 years.... FA's do not make 75k a year... and certainly not the FA's with this incident, who likely make about half of what you claimed at best.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
False.

Oscar, you already threw the victim under the bus. Coming back a day later and offering a PR statement actually makes you look worse.
Exactly.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:08 pm

Republic Flight attendants start at 21k, United starts a 41k
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow I am happy to see that I am not the only one extremely upset about this and I am avoiding united 100% for a time until they fully restore customer confidence and indemnify this pax.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Yep, thats the truth. Thanks to our government policies (or lack off) we have a huge oligopoly.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
As long as they can keep the Richard Bransons, and the Norwegians, and all the other competition out, they've got us.....
Yep ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am a non-corporate, self-paid domestic F international J passenger. I fly mostly AA domestically, though I live on NY's UWS. UA's NYC hub is in EWR, and my experience of EWR has been . . . less than stellar. I'd rather drive farther and fly out of JFK, and that rules out UA.

This latest incident has put me off UA, certainly for the medium term, quite possibly for the long term. I understand that IDB happens. However, several things about this incident disturb me:

1. The fact that the GAs were not aware of the Republic flight crew's need to deadhead until the very last minute. This speaks volumes of the lack of organization and communication from the get-go;

2. The low amount offered for VDB. If the GAs realized no one was willing to VDB for the amount offered, why didn't they offer more? Are they only empowered to offer up to a set amount and not further? Couldn't they have called someone to receive authorization for more? UA's cheapness is costing them much, much more in plummeting stock value, not to mention goodwill;

3. Calling in the police when the gentleman in question refused to IDB. What did they tell the police, that their response was the use of physical force/assault against him? Most disturbing:

4. How did the gentleman end up with a bloodied face? Was he assaulted at his seat? What happened, exactly? It's not clear from any of the videos, but his face was bloodied by the end, and he was hysterical. This was obviously traumatic for him, as well as for all the passengers who witnessed it. It does not instill confidence in UA, and makes me wonder whether the crew, seeing/hearing passengers in distress, did nothing to intervene. Bad form all around, and does nothing to instill confidence in me regarding UA.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by ysolde
I am a non-corporate, self-paid domestic F international J passenger. I fly mostly AA domestically, though I live on NY's UWS. UA's NYC hub is in EWR, and my experience of EWR has been . . . less than stellar. I'd rather drive farther and fly out of JFK, and that rules out UA.

This latest incident has put me off UA, certainly for the medium term, quite possibly for the long term. I understand that IDB happens. However, several things about this incident disturb me:

1. The fact that the GAs were not aware of the Republic flight crew's need to deadhead until the very last minute. This speaks volumes of the lack of organization and communication from the get-go;

2. The low amount offered for VDB. If the GAs realized no one was willing to VDB for the amount offered, why didn't they offer more? Are they only empowered to offer up to a set amount and not further? Couldn't they have called someone to receive authorization for more? UA's cheapness is costing them much, much more in plummeting stock value, not to mention goodwill;

3. Calling in the police when the gentleman in question refused to IDB. What did they tell the police, that their response was the use of physical force/assault against him? Most disturbing:

4. How did the gentleman end up with a bloodied face? Was he assaulted at his seat? What happened, exactly? It's not clear from any of the videos, but his face was bloodied by the end, and he was hysterical. This was obviously traumatic for him, as well as for all the passengers who witnessed it. It does not instill confidence in UA, and makes me wonder whether the crew, seeing/hearing passengers in distress, did nothing to intervene. Bad form all around, and does nothing to instill confidence in me regarding UA.
My United friend told me today United Gate agents can ONLY go up to $800 for VDB vouchers. Meanwhile, airlines like Delta and Air Canada have no real firm cap and that's why sometimes they will offer $1300-$1500 even.

So ya, this is 100% a United problem. Raise the damn cap!!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH, UA
Originally Posted by ysolde
4. How did the gentleman end up with a bloodied face? Was he assaulted at his seat? What happened, exactly? It's not clear from any of the videos, but his face was bloodied by the end, and he was hysterical. .....
He hit his face on the arm rest across his seat when they first dragged him out.

I am appalled by the way they treated this passenger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.