Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA225 9 April 2017 -- pax forces plane back to gate, deboards

Old Apr 9, 17, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM

Currently sat on UA225 IAD-SFO which halfway through the safety demonstration was forced to return to the gate after a pax stood up visibly agitated claiming the plane had been hacked and demanded to be let off. Now sitting at gate with 2 ambulances on the scene and other pax considering deplaning out of fear for why this one left. FAs trying to provide reassurances. All very strange.

.bomb has attributed the delay to "operational difficulties". Now expected to get to SFO for 2am.
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Currently sat on UA225 IAD-SFO which halfway through the safety demonstration was forced to return to the gate after a pax stood up visibly agitated claiming the plane had been hacked and demanded to be let off. Now sitting at gate with 2 ambulances on the scene and other pax considering deplaning out of fear for why this one left. FAs trying to provide reassurances. All very strange.

.bomb has attributed the delay to "operational difficulties". Now expected to get to SFO for 2am.
Mental issue of the pax? Or an actual legit issue?
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
Mental issue of the pax? Or an actual legit issue?
Search me. People seem very concerned. Back on runway now without said pax. It's unclear to me how a plane could be "hacked" or how a pax could figure that out sat in the cabin, but each to their own...
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:49 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Does UA have the ability to permanently deny mentally disturbed or troublemaker passengers from travel in the future? I hope so.
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Now expected to get to SFO for 2am.
ETA 1:42a, and that's only 23 minutes late.
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Back on runway now without said pax. It's unclear to me how a plane could be "hacked" or how a pax could figure that out sat in the cabin, but each to their own...
Probably just saw people using their cell phone at a time when they were supposed to be turned off...
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
ETA 1:42a, and that's only 23 minutes late.
Yeah, saw it update for the better once we pushed back. Still on runway waiting on WB for now.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I once had that happen IAD-FRA. After offloading the pax who was freaking out, they had to find the person's luggage & remove it. The delay caused me to miss my FRA-BOM connection by ~5 minutes, despite my best efforts (running through FRA so fast that I threw up at the gate after failing to make the connection).

Needless to say, I'd love to track that pax down and throttle them.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by endrond View Post
Needless to say, I'd love to track that pax down and throttle them.
Your compassion knows no bounds.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:31 pm

Once on a LAX-PDX evening flight, we boarded three different times due to new-found mechanical issues. We finally got a new aircraft and pushed back hours behind schedule.

Just as we were almost to 25R, they announced that a family had decided that they had a bad feeling about the flight and wanted off, so we turned around and taxied back to the gate to let them off. Before closing the door they asked, "anybody else?" That was a very late night. Hope you get airborne without anyone else having second thoughts!
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by princeville View Post
Once on a LAX-PDX evening flight, we boarded three different times due to new-found mechanical issues. We finally got a new aircraft and pushed back hours behind schedule.

Just as we were almost to 25R, they announced that a family had decided that they had a bad feeling about the flight and wanted off, so we turned around and taxied back to the gate to let them off. Before closing the door they asked, "anybody else?" That was a very late night. Hope you get airborne without anyone else having second thoughts!
At least you didn't get back out and then realized the crew was timing out.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Your compassion knows no bounds.
Yes, you're right...anger isn't the right emotion to feel, but I do feel plenty of seething resentment, even though I now feel guilty too for feeling that way. <shrug>
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:02 am

I'm surprised they didn't, actually!
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
This is why domestically I often try to offload myself onto a later flight after the 2nd or 3rd rolling delay. Too often it ends with the crew timing out just as the maintenance issue is resolved.
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
This is why domestically I often try to offload myself onto a later flight after the 2nd or 3rd rolling delay. Too often it ends with the crew timing out just as the maintenance issue is resolved.
Yup...also why it's important to know how these things go because reservations usually sees the newly scheduled time and first response is "you'll be departing at X'clock" and then you have to convince them that rolling delays are a thing and that's why you want to reroute on an alternative flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: