Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best use of food voucher when not too hungry

Old Apr 7, 17, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold

I'm at ORD in the UA terminal. I volunteered to take a later flight and got a $20 UA food voucher. I ate a hot dog before the flight so I'm not especially hungry.

any tips on where I can spend just over $20 at ORD?

Last edited by eng3; Apr 8, 17 at 8:03 am
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Pay it forward to someone else in line?
seanp7 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum Pro
Wild enough I got one to work at a local pizza joint in Tampa when I ordered delivery after I got home. Just asked me for the card number and not a zip. I rounded the order off to the voucher amount and it went through and pizza was delivered. Delivery person got a nice tip on that order since I used the tip to round out to $20.

I honestly thought they could only be used at the airport but it went through and the pizza place never said anything as well as ordered multiple times from the place after.
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

If there was someone else in line I may have. I did that once when I saw a starting family that got screwed

I think I may just buy two sandwiches at Frontera. Then I have my next few meals covered.

The united lady said I should get Garrett's popcorn but I don't like popcorn THAT much
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Could get someGarretts for family or friends. Or if you're feeling generous - for the crew (I did that on a holiday season international flight - crew was very appreciative).

Id recommend Vosages if you like good chocolate. You can take that home.
Old Apr 7, 17, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

Id recommend Vosages if you like good chocolate. You can take that home.
i was just looking there
Old Apr 7, 17, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the smoky garlic shrimp torta at tortas frontera will change your life.
Old Apr 7, 17, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That popcorn is good just to the left about a hundred feet of where the escalators to the C-Concourse spill out to.

Perfect gift.

You can also go to Tortas Fronteras and buy some sauce to take home.
Old Apr 7, 17, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I just bought two sandwiches so I don't need to figure out lunch this weekend.

I never looked at their sauce, that might have been a better deal. Their sandwiches look smaller than I remember.

I saw the popcorn but I just bought a bag of cheese caramel mix from Costco the other day.

I thought about trying to use it elsewhere because it just says use within 24hrs but didn't want to risk it. Plus I'd have to think of a place that takes credit card over the phone
Old Apr 7, 17, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I give these to Service members or families who look as though they've just taken a hit in IRROPS.
Old Apr 7, 17, 8:54 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
buy something tiny. small drink, or even a paket of sauce for a dime. and a gift card for the balance

bonus is that most gift cards can be used at cheaper (non airport) franchise locations
Old Apr 7, 17, 9:17 pm

First of all, $20??? When did it go back up? That is great news. For awhile it was like $7. At SFO, you couldn't even buy a snack for that much.

I've done 2 things
1) when my friends all took an overnight VDB, we each got $60 (3 meals), so in total we had $240. We used some at the hotel for dinner, then had $150 left when we came back to the airport. We bought tons of snacks for the trip, then had about $50 left and just told the people in line all their food was comp'd until it ran out. It was a pilot first behind us so we were happy about that

2) At SFO, I bought a smoothie for a gate agent (not the one who gave me the VDB...that would be a conflict of interest I think)
Old Apr 7, 17, 9:33 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
United over-did it for us recently when our family of four took a 24-hour weather delay. $60/each meant $240 in vouchers. Our hotel had comp breakfast, after a very over-the-top room service with a $125 bill and $75 in lunch the next day, we still had $40 which we spent on snacks at the airport Convenience Store for our next flight--Twizzlers, chips, trail mix, peanuts and Vitamin Waters for all of us! ...And still had enough for a roll of Life Savers!
Old Apr 8, 17, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I give these to Service members or families who look as though they've just taken a hit in IRROPS.
They boarded me, then found out one guy got on board without scanning and a girl was left standing in the aisle with no seat so they then took me off. There was literally no one left when I got my ($600) ecert and ($20)voucher. I've given away my ($7) voucher in the past but that's when there was a starving family that was in front of me who for some reason was rejected when they asked for a meal voucher. I didn't feel like actively searching in this case.

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
buy something tiny. small drink, or even a paket of sauce for a dime. and a gift card for the balance

bonus is that most gift cards can be used at cheaper (non airport) franchise locations
I tried this but was told I could not use the voucher for a gift card even if I mix it with food. I assume that is a YMMV type of thing

Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
First of all, $20??? When did it go back up? That is great news. For awhile it was like $7. At SFO, you couldn't even buy a snack for that much.
Yeah, it use to be $7 per meal. I said the same thing to the GA, she said "yeah, they recently changed it".

Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
... then had $150 left when we came back to the airport. ...
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
... and $75 in lunch the next day, we still had $40 which we spent on snacks at the airport ...And still had enough for a roll of Life Savers!
You guys must have gotten different type of vouchers. The GA, another UA employee and the voucher states that you have to use it all at once. You don't get the remaining credit, otherwise, that's probably what I would have done. That has always been my experience.
Old Apr 8, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Has the form of vouchers changed? The last time I had a voucher it was a paper certificate that had to be used at 1 place 1 time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: