Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best use of food voucher when not too hungry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of food voucher when not too hungry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CIT85
Has the form of vouchers changed? The last time I had a voucher it was a paper certificate that had to be used at 1 place 1 time.
That is what I got. it says "up to " the dollar amount and "must be surrendered" when using it and you dont get the remaining value back.

Now if they give you 3 $20 vouchers, ofcourse you can use each one separately
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CIT85
Has the form of vouchers changed? The last time I had a voucher it was a paper certificate that had to be used at 1 place 1 time.
They've piloted a series of different channels recently. Including a prepaid card which is geographically limited to the specific airport. But, that can at least me used at multiple establishments on premises.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
You know you can use those on beer right?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you have a square account, enter the credit card number from the voucher and ring up a transaction for the full face value. Easiest way to burn it up in one shot.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Give it to a worker at airport.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Lani1
Give it to a worker at airport.
Are they allowed to use it? I don't know if they can or not but it might be cause for a few questions to the airport employee about where and how they got the voucher and where even on the up and up, if I was the airport employee, I wouldn't want to be questioned in a situation like that
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by raehl311
You know you can use those on beer right?
The paper vouchers used to specifically exclude alcohol. Do the new voucher allow for everything including alcohol?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:12 am

Garrett's popcorn or Rocky Mountain chocolates, which I give to the admin staff when I get home.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Smile High end gourmet stores for pate/cheese/chocolates

I was stuck at Frankfurt for 7 hours after my United flight from ORD was late in arriving. I used the food vouchers to buy gourmet cheese and pate from the high end stores and enjoyed that.
I second the Vosages recommendation.
Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Pay it forward to someone else in line?
Exactly. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Obesity kills 300,000 people in the U.S./year. And you don't want to be needing a seat belt extender.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Random act of kindess. Stand in line, offer to pay for someone in front or behind you.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD is expensive. On top of that, the sales tax seems to be over 10%.

It seems UA gives $20 per meal? A few months ago, I got $60 (3 * $20) for an overnight (not until 4 PM next day) due to MX. This week, I got $40 (2 * $20) for overnight and first flight out next morning due to WX/ATC.

It is fun to play "closest without going over" at the store

The Hilton, where I was last time, honors Diamond benefits on a UA voucher but the Westin, where I was, did not. I can see the $20/meal not enough if one does not get benefits from the hotel on these airline stays.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA M+ Plat
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
If you have a square account, enter the credit card number from the voucher and ring up a transaction for the full face value. Easiest way to burn it up in one shot.
Great tip! I'm gonna remember this for later
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Two things I've done. One, use them at your destination airport, since you might be hungry by then. Two, if it's a $20.00 cert, sell it to someone at the airport for $15.00 or something.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
This happened to me at PWM. I used my meal voucher at the StarBucks, and got several bags of the "pepper cashews". Easy to transport and will keep for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.