Wiki Posts
Search

The Perfect Seatmate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The Perfect Seatmate

SLC-EWR, Seat 4B, 739. Didn't say a word the whole flight.

I saw the downgraded passenger arguing with the GA, who was offering him $400. I didn't hear what they ended up with.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Had that exact same situation on my LAX > IAH flight earlier this week (739). Was actually seated in one of the inop seats (1B + 1E, IIRC) and they had to downgrade two passengers as well...glad I was on a P fare

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:26 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Once I was upgraded at T3 only to walk on the plane and see this sign on my seat. I happily took the downgrade ETC and got a whole row of E+ to myself. It was a short flight and I had planned on sitting in economy anyways.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Had that exact same situation on my LAX > IAH flight earlier this week (739). Was actually seated in one of the inop seats (1B + 1E, IIRC) and they had two downgrade to passengers as well...glad I was on a P fare
Amazing! First 'two' wrong then second 'to' too!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
ESL ?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Not sure that I would agree that this is the perfect seatmate. What if the reason for it being cordoned off was because previous occupant was incontinent, had a contagious rash, etc. You might prefer sitting a little further away.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seenitall
Not sure that I would agree that this is the perfect seatmate. What if the reason for it being cordoned off was because previous occupant was incontinent, had a contagious rash, etc. You might prefer sitting a little further away.
Still better than having a seatmate who is incontinent, has a contagious rash, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
ESL ?
More likely autocorrect.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by seenitall
True - they did say the chair would not recline. Don't know why that should take it out of service considering row 20 and the row in front of 20 don't recline. At least give the affected passenger the option. Or are they worried that the same problem that caused the seat not to recline could also cause it suddenly to become an ejector seat?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Flown with them several times,quiet ,doesn't seem to eat much either
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
A quartet was on the flight with their instruments. My "perfect seatmate" was the group's cello.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
A few weeks back my SFO>BOS RPU didn't clear, and I ended up on the two-abreast aisle side of an unrenovated 772. My seatmate in the window seat was a 1K, and I couldn't help noticing that rather than ask me to get up when she needed to use the lav, she made a point of only going when I was already out of my seat.

The first time I figured it was a coincidence, but the second time I almost felt guilty. I'm sure plenty of other window seat occupants do the same, but I was still struck by the selfless gesture. The opposite of DYKWIA.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:05 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
A few weeks ago, I was on a redeye in F. Seat map showed all of F taken with 20+ on the upgrade list...Someone was upgraded into the seat next to me. Boarding came and went, door closed, seat next to me empty...Flew all the way from the west coast to ORD that way. Seat map showed full the whole time and that passenger next to me was still checked off as upgraded.

I had no problems with it, but I'm sure #1 on the list may have. Y was only about 3/4 full, so I'm guessing my seat mate returned to their friends/family still in Y.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:27 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by fumje
Guilty! When I first typed that post I caught I needed a "two" not "to" but then corrected the wrong one.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
A few months ago on EWR-FRA I was one of only 3 pax in Polaris First and had row 2 to myself! I was sitting in 2A and the flight attendant made my bed in 2C!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.