Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Too much crew control of window shades on 787?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too much crew control of window shades on 787?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Window shades on international flights in C

Is it part of the standard procedure for FA’s to close all window shades in the C cabin these days? Seems like every intl flight I get on has all of them closed. My issue with it is that I find 95% of passengers just leave them shut for the entire flight. Couldn’t imagine riding in a car and electing to not see outside the entire ride! Not a major issue but was just curious. I love the 787 so I can at least see what’s going on on the ground as far as taxi progression, gate situation etc.

since I fly solo, I always select a seat in the middle section for convenience to the aisle, not to climb or be climbed, etc.

whats your opinion since since most non-US airlines require window shades to be open for takeoff and landing?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is it part of the standard procedure for FA’s to close all window shades in the C cabin these days? Seems like every intl flight I get on has all of them closed. My issue with it is that I find 95% of passengers just leave them shut for the entire flight. Couldn’t imagine riding in a car and electing to not see outside the entire ride! Not a major issue but was just curious. I love the 787 so I can at least see what’s going on on the ground as far as taxi progression, gate situation etc.

since I fly solo, I always select a seat in the middle section for convenience to the aisle, not to climb or be climbed, etc.

whats your opinion since since most non-US airlines require window shades to be open for takeoff and landing?
My experience is that the FAs ask for the shades to be closed after the first meal. I have never had them ask for it before takeoff.

But yes, sometimes the shades are closed on very hot days so the the inside of the aircraft is not overheated before they put the air conditioner on. On our flight to DCA 10 days ago they asked us to close the shades before getting off the plane to reduce the excessive heat. But when passengers enter the plane, they usually open the shades unless the sun is hitting them.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I think it's a summer thing. They close all the shades while the plane is at gate, so the interior doesn't heat up as much. Have this happen on "manual" shade-planes also.
You can request to have control of the window shade on the 787, and just open the shades on the other planes.

Had an announcement recently where the FA asked for passengers to close all shades as we approached the gate after landing.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never understood why this isn't done in the US. Seems like a basic safety item in case of an emergency on the ground.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Couldn’t imagine riding in a car and electing to not see outside the entire ride!
Lot's to see from a car. Not much to see on most transoceanic flights, cloudy days or night flights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Lot's to see from a car. Not much to see on most transoceanic flights, cloudy days or night flights.
Plenty to see on daylight transoceanic flights even with clouds below.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Depending on the routing, there is a lot to see outside - I keep my window open as some of my most memorable photos have been taken on TPAC flights. Everyone in business has an eye mask, they can use it.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Plenty to see on daylight transoceanic flights even with clouds below.
Maybe, but most of mine seem to be at night
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Maybe, but most of mine seem to be at night
Then you can look up and see the stars.
ajGoes and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Then you can look up and see the stars.
Not that exciting, and in any case, keeping windows open at night won't bother anyone
ExplorerWannabe and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Just flew EWR-CDG. Windows were dimmed on boarding. I was able to undim and it stayed that way until dark. Tried to sleep. Without much success. About an hour before landing and saw the most incredible blue sunrise over the ocean NOT! I tried to undim until landing at CDG, but they stayed dinned even though crew turned on cabin lights for breakfast. It was pretty depressing to view the wonderful French countryside they a blue lens.
ExplorerWannabe and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mellon
I always ask the crew to unlock my window shade.
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Has anyone actually stood up (in a nice way) to FA's about this? I paid for my ticket, my seat and my carriage. I should be able to decide whether I want my shade up or not. Except on the 787. We took an Edelweiss 14 hour flight last week and the FA's came and asked kindly if we wanted to close it, but said it was ok to keep it up./

On United, it's pretty much 'shut it pal'.
I ..... every time they do it and only once have gotten any push back which was promptly resolved. On a flight to Sydney, the last thing I want to is to exacerbate my jet lag by keeping it night time when it's 7am.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I always thank the FA's on the 787 if they lock the shades to dark/dim.

They know the vast majority of the plane wants the shades dark.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I always thank the FA's on the 787 if they lock the shades to dark/dim.

They know the vast majority of the plane wants the shades dark.
Um. Have you asked the other pax? Done a survey? On what research do you base this statement?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by milepig
Um. Have you asked the other pax? Done a survey? On what research do you base this statement?
Do you think UA flipped a coin to determine open/close? The person on the window is shielded from the sun, while every other seat gets it directly in their face. Whether you’re in a 1-2-1 or a 3-4-3, closed would be the preference of the majority of the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.