Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Too much crew control of window shades on 787?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too much crew control of window shades on 787?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Eye shades don't block severe UV radiation.
Eye shades don't help with glare on the tv screen.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Eye shades don't block severe UV radiation. ...
If UV actually penetrated the window material (doubtful), eye shades would certainty block UV.
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
... Eye shades don't help with glare on the tv screen.
Agreed that could be an issue

UVA is not filtered by the atmosphere and therefore not particularly impact by altitude. UVB and UVC, the more concerning UV, is filtered (shorter than 350nm) by plexiglass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...-high-altitude

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 6, 2017 at 9:57 pm Reason: references
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
We're going EWR - LAX - SYD in a few months and while I only care about the window during takeoff and landing, my wife loves to look out the window for hours. She particularly enjoys looking out at night when you're above the clouds and can see the stars, so hopefully they let her have her window for that flight. For the way back, we're hoping to have the window open until after lunch.

Slightly OT, but this was mentioned by someone else upthread - for the LAX - SYD - LAX flights, which side of the plane will offer better sights?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:52 pm

How was this managed before the 787? I was always asked if I can lower the shade? Perhaps the flight crew should apply the same courtesy on the 787 and not taking an autocratic approach. At least I’d feel like a somebody?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Grappaguy
How was this managed before the 787? I was always asked if I can lower the shade? Perhaps the flight crew should apply the same courtesy on the 787 and not taking an autocratic approach. At least I’d feel like a somebody?
I always ask the crew to unlock my window shade.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Has anyone actually stood up (in a nice way) to FA's about this? I paid for my ticket, my seat and my carriage. I should be able to decide whether I want my shade up or not. Except on the 787. We took an Edelweiss 14 hour flight last week and the FA's came and asked kindly if we wanted to close it, but said it was ok to keep it up./

On United, it's pretty much 'shut it pal'.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Has anyone actually stood up (in a nice way) to FA's about this? I paid for my ticket, my seat and my carriage. I should be able to decide whether I want my shade up or not. Except on the 787. We took an Edelweiss 14 hour flight last week and the FA's came and asked kindly if we wanted to close it, but said it was ok to keep it up./

On United, it's pretty much 'shut it pal'.
Yes I have, both on UA and NH - in both cases I was given back control of my window shade, except on UA another FA dialed it back down during the flight and I had to call back again to have it released.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by warrenw
On my two recent flights the FA's didn't do anything to get people to close their shades. On the 747 in F the lady across from me kept her shades up the entire time so we all awoke to the sunrise (not terrible, but the sun rose 2 hours before breakfast and that was time I could have been sleeping...) and my second flight was on the 77W in biz and the guy in the very front kept both his shades halfway shut and it was blindingly bright. I was far enough back so it was at least marginally dark but even one window makes the cabin suuper bright.
Oops. Should have read a bit further.

Warren, you claim sensitivity to light, and then sensitivity to anything offered as a way to decrease your seeing light.

I'm sensing a pattern here.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You never had them reach over you with the hanger while you weren't looking?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes I have, both on UA and NH - in both cases I was given back control of my window shade, except on UA another FA dialed it back down during the flight and I had to call back again to have it released.
Hmm. I have an upcoming 11 hour flight on a UA 789 and a return on a NH 787. I will do this. If you see an article about someone getting arrested over a window shade, it was me.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Oops. Should have read a bit further.

Warren, you claim sensitivity to light, and then sensitivity to anything offered as a way to decrease your seeing light.

I'm sensing a pattern here.
Huh? Super old comment...

I think everyone has light sensitivity when they're trying to sleep. That's normal. I'm not sure what you mean by your "sensitivity to anything offered" that makes no sense. Do you mean eyeshades? Yeah I don't like eyeshades. Lol there's nothing wrong with that.

Nowhere in my comment did I say people shouldn't be allowed to control window shades. My comment was that it makes the cabin super bright. Oh and that it woke me up earlier than I would have liked.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It was a request you couldn't refuse. So basically the same as the kill switch used by FAs.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by phkc070408
We're going EWR - LAX - SYD in a few months and while I only care about the window during takeoff and landing, my wife loves to look out the window for hours. She particularly enjoys looking out at night when you're above the clouds and can see the stars, so hopefully they let her have her window for that flight. For the way back, we're hoping to have the window open until after lunch.

Slightly OT, but this was mentioned by someone else upthread - for the LAX - SYD - LAX flights, which side of the plane will offer better sights?
Sometimes, especially crossing the Pacific, there's literally nothing to look at. It's a sea of white clouds with no form and frankly quite bright haha
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
It was a request you couldn't refuse. So basically the same as the kill switch used by FAs.
Before the 787s? It was a request I often refused, or compromised on by lowering the shade slightly but still able to see out. Generally speaking, keeping the shade open throughout the flight serves notice that eyemasks are needed, vs leaving the cabin dark then suddenly making it bright and disturbing people when the window shade is opened for a view outside.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I had this a couple months ago SIN-SFO, except they were locked full-dark during boarding and during taxi. I spoke up mid-taxi, because should we have an incident, I would really like to be able to see out my window to figure out if there was a burning pile of jet fuel right outside.

They did unlock them and turned them all clear, but then right after takeoff locked them all back to dark. I was about to speak up again when the service director came by my seat, mentioned she'd set mine to unlocked, and made a point to say that I could have full control of the shades for the full flight. I thanked her, said I'd be considerate, and then turned them clear. Because, you know, Spratly Islands, South China Sea, the Philippines -- all infinitely more interesting than the latest episode of Desperate Housewives. Interestingly, she came back again after the meal service just to check that I still had full control.

I'll probably speak up from now on -- I really don't like the 'all dark' philosophy, but if they're OK unlocking just mine I'm fine with it.
bocastephen, ajGoes, wavid and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.