Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trvlr70
The POINT I was trying to make was that she overheard an agent refusing to lie about the true reason for a delay, cancellation, etc..
As we saw above with TimeToEarnMiles's example, it's not clear the gate agents are actually familiar with ATM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
It is a big, complex operation and the delays ripple through the system. By the time it gets to you, what started as weather in the morning manifests itself as no pilot for your plane in a different city that night. Are you entitled to a hotel room? If there was a clear answer above, I missed it ---

Years ago, I was at O'Hare waiting for a sold out flight to Portland on a 737. We were delayed for unspecified reasons, the plane was at the gate though. Next gate over, an identical 737 pulled in, posted as going to Cedar Rapids next with what looked like a half plane load of kids on a school tour. Next thing you know, there was a gate change - Portland and Cedar Rapids flipped gates. 15 minutes later, we were boarding Portland - and they announced the Cedar Rapids flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. Unfair? Not when you view it from the perspective of minimizing disruption to the operation as a whole.

All in all, with the PDA tool United has as much or more transparency on what is happening with your flight as anyone, this is one area where I think they are doing better than average. They can be faulted for running an operation that has little margin to absorb problems, but on giving you tools and information about what is happening with your flight, they are pretty good, IMO.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
False reason given for delay

Hello,

I am at EWR waiting for flight 4187 to BNA. Flight is delayed one hour due to 'late inbound aircraft'. However, a search of where the plane is coming from shows that the in-bound plane was never scheduled to be here at a time that would have permitted an on-time departure. So, the stated delay reason is not really true. Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth sending as a complaint?

Edit: I cannot get the image to load. It can be seen here: http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/album199/delay
Old May 6, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The current aircraft may be a swap and not originally scheduled for this flight.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
The current aircraft may be a swap and not originally scheduled for this flight.
It is most certainly a swap. However, to me that should be the reason given. For example, let's say this plane winds up being like 4 hrs late into EWR. We would've had no delay at all had United not swapped our plane out in the first place.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:40 am

Happens all the time. Something happened with your original aircraft that was scheduled for your flight, probably mx, that forced them to swap in an alternate aircraft. That flight itself may not have been late, but it still arrived too late to allow for an on time departure of your flight. And thus, the cause of your delay was a late inbound aircraft. Sucks to have a delay because of a swap, but it's better than them canceling your flight because of the original aircraft.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by wxalex
It is most certainly a swap. However, to me that should be the reason given. For example, let's say this plane winds up being like 4 hrs late into EWR. We would've had no delay at all had United not swapped our plane out in the first place.
They don't swap planes just for the fun of it. If they made the decision to substitute a new aircraft in on your flight, it was to avoid canceling or delaying your flight further. Had they not done it, you would 100% certainly be in a worse position than you are currently.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: 1K
4187/06may
f ewr/etd 1130a l01.00 awaiting flt 5800
f bna/eta 1257p l01.00

sked ewr orig 1030a gtd a23a ship 9913
bna 1157a term gta a8
Old May 6, 2014, 8:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wxalex
I think you are missing the point.

Say your original aircraft was delayed 2 hours, so UA swapped you to a plane coming in 1 hour earlier. You are still delayed but not as much. And the reason for the delay was the lateness of the original aircraft. And the reason for the original delay --- UA caused, WX/ATC caused, .... will determine the reason for your delayed departure.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
My issue with this is that I have had a few trips lately where "my" plane lands and then is immediately assigned to another flight that had a late plane. So 5 min before we are supposed to board "my" plane shows its 1 min out and landing and then 2 min later it shows the "new" plane is 30 min out.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

I would use the term "fraudulent"
Old May 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Happens more frequently with United Express flights. Last week, my flight was delayed due to late inbound aircraft. Turns out the aircraft had a MX in LAX that morning, making it late to ORD and so on.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
If they made the decision to substitute a new aircraft in on your flight, it was to avoid canceling or delaying your flight further. Had they not done it, you would 100% certainly be in a worse position than you are currently.
Definitely not 100% true. Many times it would be better if they just cancelled and rebooked everyone right up front rather than dragging pax through an endless series of delays that ultimately winds up in a cancellation 4-6 hours after scheduled departure.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:29 am

Well sure, in the case of a regular old mx delay that ends up never getting fixed. Which could have been the case here, but instead they found an alternate plane to come in and operate the flight. So instead of waiting around all day to see whether the plane OP was on could be fixed ( assuming that was the issue, as it usually is), they were proactive and swapped in a different plane to minimize the delay for everyone. And in the end, it'll almost certainly have been more beneficial to the majority of pax than it would've been to cancel the flight and try to rebook everyone on different ones.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
but instead they found an alternate plane to come in and operate the flight. So instead of waiting around all day to see whether the plane OP was on could be fixed ( assuming that was the issue, as it usually is), they were proactive and swapped in a different plane to minimize the delay for everyone. And in the end, it'll almost certainly have been more beneficial to the majority of pax than it would've been to cancel the flight and try to rebook everyone on different ones.
With UA these days, it's really not safe to assume an aircraft will show up at the gate when UA says it will - regardless whether it's the original aircraft or one they're swapping in. So while it may work out better for OP if the swapped in aircraft in fact arrives/departs per schedule, whether OP was truly "better off" can only be determined in hindsight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.