Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Old May 23, 2024, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not sure exactly what you think is going on.

UA1299 LAS-DEN has N68807 assigned at the moment and currently shows delayed 1h04 (will probably not make that timeframe). The history of the frame is:
  • Operated UA1691 CUN-DEN, sked 17:31 arrival and arrived 0h09 early
  • Operating UA517 DEN-LAS, sked 16:10 departure and pushed 2h49 late (at 18:59). The last delay reason is "Servicing", which probably refers to the cleaning which caused the frame to take 1h28 to complete the turn in DEN. That's completely normal for this situation, and cleaning is indeed why it took about 30 minutes longer than UA normally schedules a domestic turn.
    • Estimated block arrival at LAS 19:49
  • Planned UA1299 LAS-DEN, sked 19:14 departure. The current 20:18 departure is standard silly optimism for UA that they can turn an aircraft in 30 minutes. I expect you'll push more like 20:45.

I imagine that you are missing the part where CUN-DEN operated on timeand arrived long after the schedule departure of the next segment. This is a standard consequence of "frame stealing" - something happened elsewhere and frames were scrambled, with N68807 assigned to do the LAS turn when it was available. The previously assigned tail was N37263, which is cooling its heels in DEN after arriving from COS this morning. Perhaps something is broken on that frame, I don't know. It arrived 2h15 late with an mx delay, so that seems likely - it's probably getting checked out at DEN.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:35 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by egzactly
Now I'm sure the veterans on this forum with more experience can probably give you better info than me, but whenever I'm in a situation like yours, I always check flightradar24. I find it so useful to track the inbound plane. It's fast, accurate, and does its job. It has saved me several times from wasting hours trying to figure out where the heck the plane is, when or if it'll really arrive, and if the gate agents are being truthful in the delays.
except your inbound plane may or may not be used for your outbound, its dynamic.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Typically, the Captain will tell the agent to put the delay on him. Often, that eases their delay angst.
I have heard this myself, particularly when there are a group of passengers who look like they'll "just" miss it & connection saver didn't make the suggestion

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
except your inbound plane may or may not be used for your outbound, its dynamic.
It is certainly not a hard and fast rule, particularly at hubs but at outstations it's virtually guaranteed
SPN Lifer and 32LatT10 like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by klif01
Flighty has been telling me my flight was delayed well before the CUN flight had even made it to Denver.
interesting an international flight from cancun would require an additional 3 hours of cleaning.
I didn't look into the details of your flight but can offer some thoughts on the types of things that can contribute to such a delay.

1. When a flight is delayed waiting for an airplane that is, itself, arriving on-time or early, it is because the originally scheduled airplane for your flight was unavailable and your flight was swapped to this new airplane which isn't scheduled to arrive in time for you to depart on-time. The automated delay reason will show "an earlier delay" because the airplane's arrival is too late for an on-time departure. It doesn't look to see if that airplane is on-time or delayed. That message doesn't say anything about the reason why the original airplane couldn't be used but that information may have been displayed earlier on the app, i.e. mechanical, etc., but was replaced by the "earlier delay" message after the plane swap.

2. The CUN-DEN flight is an international arrival. We can't touch the airplane for cleaning, required security inspection, catering, and crew boarding and preflight checks until CBP releases the airplane. Sometimes they release it quickly, other times it takes a long time. This it out of the airline's control. At least we have all the A gates at DEN now which eliminates the need to tow the airplane from A to B after CBP releases it. That saves a lot of time.

3. International arrivals require a security sweep prior to their next flight. That adds to the time it takes for the cleaners to clean the cabin as they also have to search for hidden weapons, contraband, etc. throughout the airplane, even the cockpit. Since the cleaners have to wait for CBP to release the airplane, there is often a delay in getting them on the plane because they don't know in advance when the airplane will be available to them. They're off cleaning other airplanes then a crew has to be sent once the airplane is released.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 2:39 pm

I know OT, but this thread raises a question.

What entity decides the official reason for a delay or cancellation? And is there ever oversight to ensure the reasons are classified properly?

For example, several years ago, my flight out of IAD was delayed due to a mechanical issue and was subsequently cancelled. I thought great...at least I'll have a room for the night and otherwise not a problem for me. When I inquired about a room, I was told the reason was 'weather', so no room for me. Upon further inquiry the next day, I found out that a replacement aircraft was being flown in and it was delayed due to 'weather'; therefore not UAs problem.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2024 at 3:28 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Jun 26, 2024, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
United makes the determination and you don't have a whole lot of recourse. If they were lying en masse to avoid at-fault delays, the DOT could investigate and if it were worth your time and money you could sue them in federal court. However, IME they are fairly reasonable about it.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
I know OT, but this thread raises a question.

What entity decides the official reason for a delay or cancellation? And is there ever oversight to ensure the reasons are classified properly?

For example, several years ago, my flight out of IAD was delayed due to a mechanical issue and was subsequently cancelled. I thought great...at least I'll have a room for the night and otherwise not a problem for me. When I inquired about a room, I was told the reason was 'weather', so no room for me. Upon further inquiry the next day, I found out that a replacement aircraft was being flown in and it was delayed due to 'weather'; therefore not UAs problem.
You can definitely take such cases to the DOT or other regulatory agencies. Now, in the US, airlines are not (yet) required to provide 'care' in such cases whereas in e.g. Canada they are. In a recent case with Air Canada they denied my claim but were ultimately forced to pay me (they lied about the reason - but I always keep screenshots of everything oops ).
Old Jun 26, 2024, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Now, in the US, airlines are not (yet) required to provide 'care' in such cases
Just put $5 into a savings account every time you buy a ticket and celebrate your "jackpot" every time you have a lengthy delay. Don't raise my airfare to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.