Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?

Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:41 pm

I am on one today where they have it listed due to "aircraft availability" yet we are sitting on the plane and he captain said we are actually waiting for passengers that are delayed on another flight. Which, that alone is interesting and I know causes a debate on here if that is right or wrong.

Kind of sucks for me as this "delay" for other passngers may actually make me miss my connection....
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
Because how UA responds to the delay's impact on pax differs depending on how the delay is classed? @:-)
Yeah I get that but in the case to which I responded the OP was on the flight and headed to their destination. Sometimes you just got to let it go.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JeffS
Yeah I get that but in the case to which I responded the OP was on the flight and headed to their destination. Sometimes you just got to let it go.
And I'm that OP - and I missed my connection - and six hours at home. So now I sit in ORD. We actually landed only about 35 minutes late - but then it was the typical ORD taxi to Racine and back before getting to the M gates, and then baggage claim delays, and ultimately a missed connection....

I had multiple options leaving NRT - and could have made it home sooner via EWR or IAD - had I been informed of what was really going on.... I even asked in NRT why the flight was showing leaving on time but arriving 20 minutes late - 4 hours in ADVANCE - but was assured nothing was wrong - and then we pushed back....
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I had multiple options leaving NRT - and could have made it home sooner via EWR or IAD - had I been informed of what was really going on.... I even asked in NRT why the flight was showing leaving on time but arriving 20 minutes late - 4 hours in ADVANCE - but was assured nothing was wrong - and then we pushed back....
I started forcing UA into making adjustments if I believe things will go downhill. Being a bit forceful and having all the other options already outlined usually helps.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I started forcing UA into making adjustments if I believe things will go downhill. Being a bit forceful and having all the other options already outlined usually helps.
And after all that hassle at ORD today - just arrived back and they lost my bag lol. I swear when they have too much time it all falls apart too!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And after all that hassle at ORD today - just arrived back and they lost my bag lol. I swear when they have too much time it all falls apart too!
You just can't make this stuff up.

Welcome home
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was sitting on a delayed flight yesterday and it started to delay after we were all boarded early. It first said "late incoming aircraft", then it went to "aircraft preparation" and stayed that way.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You just can't make this stuff up.

Welcome home
Good to be home for a few days. The official reason for the delay was "Delayed due to waiting for the arrival of a late inbound crew (Arrived Gate 43 Minutes Late)" Very odd - we pushed only 8 minutes late and I'm quite certain the crew was on the plane lol...

At least I made silver on the last flight today - nothing like ua1flyer who is probably 1k already though....
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
I am on one today where they have it listed due to "aircraft availability" yet we are sitting on the plane and he captain said we are actually waiting for passengers that are delayed on another flight. Which, that alone is interesting and I know causes a debate on here if that is right or wrong.

Kind of sucks for me as this "delay" for other passngers may actually make me miss my connection....
Got to my destination finally! Checked what they ended up putting, and it was because of "late inbound aircraft arrival."

Guess that's partly true....just not my aircraft since we all sat at the gate for two late pax to arrive.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
UA1749 MCO-SFO last night is listed as "delayed due to late arriving inbound aircraft"...

Methinks the two UA mechanics who had to open up the nose to replace the radar array would beg to differ. Ultimate arrival delay was only about 20 minutes but the lying's got to stop.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold AA PLT
Do we ever get straight stories these days?

Was on SEA-IAD two days ago. Got on the plane, got an announcement that the flight was being diverted to MSP because we did not have enough fuel - we were still sitting at the gate. Sat for another 30 minutes, then came the announcement that we now have too much fuel to go to MSP, at which point they booted us off the plane to take fuel off.

This caused me to miss my connection and the rebooking resulted in an 11-hour delay. Most of all, I simply don't believe the story they told. Is there a plausible explanation for this fuel madness?

Last edited by hyperion; Jun 29, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How could that story be true?

WX /routing conditions changed close to departure and the aircraft (say A320) was out of range.
Then the amount of fuel already loaded and not fully used going to MSP caused the aircraft to exceed the max landing weight for MSP.

Have no idea if the above is the explanation but it might.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold AA PLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
WX /routing conditions changed close to departure and the aircraft (say A320) was out of range.
Then the amount of fuel already loaded and not fully used going to MSP caused the aircraft to exceed the max landing weight for MSP.
Yes the too much fuel for MSP part is quite likely, but it's the not enough fuel for IAD part that's odd. If it was WX/routing conditions at IAD, they could have simply delayed the take-off. Why go to MSP?

By the way, the pilot was furious when making the announcements. Kept saying that it was a total screw-up. But of course he didn't say why.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
makes no sense.

too much gas for MSP but to little for IAD...then, go to DSM or DTW or god forbid ORD or any of the other hundreds of possible airports between MSP and IAD...

they probably had the flight plan already set for SEA-(MSP)-IAD and it would have been more time consuming to change that than to just offload fuel.

sounds like a real goat rodeo.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hyperion
Was on SEA-IAD two days ago. Got on the plane, got an announcement that the flight was being diverted to MSP because we did not have enough fuel - we were still sitting at the gate.
I don't recall hearing about eastbound t-con having range issues. Usually that happens in the other direction due to headwind.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
sounds like a real goat rodeo.
Indeed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.