Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Wiki Link
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Old May 3, 17, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
We are connecting to UA869 at 1pm (Saturday)

LAX traveler has 2 hours to connect at SFO.

Me and my buddy from EWR have 1 hour 14 mins to connect at SFO.

I'm guessing we all need more time since A) we don't know what weather will be that day and B) we are connecting onward from HKG to SIN and then DPS. I wish I had known about this before I booked all these tickets!
I would feel more comfortable with a 3-4 hour connection, unless you know there are same-day options to be protected on for the connection. The EWR flights are less likely to delay, but it's still a very real possibility. I would want to be in a place where a 2-hour delay would not make me sweat.
Old May 3, 17, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
We are connecting to UA869 at 1pm (Saturday)

LAX traveler has 2 hours to connect at SFO.

Me and my buddy from EWR have 1 hour 14 mins to connect at SFO.

I'm guessing we all need more time since A) we don't know what weather will be that day and B) we are connecting onward from HKG to SIN and then DPS. I wish I had known about this before I booked all these tickets!
Coming in from LAX, I'd be looking for an arrival before 9 a.m., as that's when cancels are likely to start.

I'd probably aim for 3 hours cushion from EWR. I prefer a longer connection to stressing about missing a once-daily departure.
Old May 3, 17, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA*G life-qualifier
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Coming in from LAX, I'd be looking for an arrival before 9 a.m., as that's when cancels are likely to start.

I'd probably aim for 3 hours cushion from EWR. I prefer a longer connection to stressing about missing a once-daily departure.
Called GS they said they had no info on runway closures in SFO on weekends in May x Memorial Day. She said she could try to refare the 3 tickets but I said forget it I would email GS - that usually does the trick. Because I did myself and it would add $6k to our fares, to change 3 lousy domestic flights.

I understand reservations can't do much, but the fact that this agent hand's heard about weekend runway closures in SFO during May is pretty pathetic to say the least.

Will let you know how my email ask to GS goes down. Probably take them a day or two to get back.

Thanks for suggestions!

Adam
Old May 3, 17, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I understand reservations can't do much, but the fact that this agent hand's heard about weekend runway closures in SFO during May is pretty pathetic to say the least.
Truly pathetic.

Worst case, I bet you can SDC to earlier flights within 24 hours of departure. Saturday morning is usually pretty light loads.
Old May 3, 17, 4:58 pm

You're right I know I can attempt SDC. Last option. In the meantime I will see what I can accomplish via GS email - I'd rather just get it sorted ahead of time and check it off my list. Unfortunately 20 May USA to Asia is super booked in all classes.
Old May 3, 17, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Truly pathetic.

Worst case, I bet you can SDC to earlier flights within 24 hours of departure. Saturday morning is usually pretty light loads.
That is crazy, a detailed runway work schedule has been available online for weeks if not months for all to see. It is "pathetic" that UA employees through out the US/globe are not aware of this. Every day all I can do is shake my head when I hear these and other crazy stories about UA antics.
Old May 4, 17, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
That is crazy, a detailed runway work schedule has been available online for weeks if not months for all to see. It is "pathetic" that UA employees through out the US/globe are not aware of this. Every day all I can do is shake my head when I hear these and other crazy stories about UA antics.
I was pretty unaggressive in asking GS reservations whether they would switch me, my buddy, and a friend from LA to the earliest outbounds on May 20th from EWR and LAX in order to pad our layover. The worst part was that they wanted to charge me change fees and fare differences to do so, which for three of us would have been a huge hit to already very expensive business class tickets. For some reason, UA's flight to Asia on May 20th are fully booked and many flights, if they have availability, are C's and J's. Given the lack of any helpful suggestion I decided to say I would think it over. We're going to Bali which is a long trip and I realized I wanted to sleep on this.

Overnight, I came up with the idea with 2 of us flying out of EWR early on the 19th, with my LAX friend taking the 6am to SFO to connect with UA869. Not only is there no runway repavement on Friday mornings, we got an ETC of $2k+ each for going a day earlier, and we snagged the 77W EWR-SFO-HKG and then continuing on a day later to Singapore and Bali. We will pick up the 4th member of the party in Hong Kong.

I lucked out with my second call to GS in the form of a very competent agent, who straightened everything out and since we had to switch firstly due to a travel warning in the Philippines (our first vacation idea) and then secondly trying to be proactive on avoiding SFO on a weekend several change fees were refunded.

Not sure if UA has already begun reducing overbookings but if May 20th turns out to have weather adding to the reduced SFO capacity there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers with misconnects to Asia and delays for everyone else. I have to say I scratch my head a little with reservations basically unaware of the runway closure/repavement through early June on weekends, except Memorial Day. Someone at United should have an operational plan and waivers in place NOW, shared with all front line staff, especially for connections through SFO on the weekends - just going to result in more bad PR with an apparent complete lack of vision and ineptitude. No bueno.
Old May 4, 17, 11:36 am

Overnight, I came up with the idea with 2 of us flying out of EWR early on the 19th, with my LAX friend taking the 6am to SFO to connect with UA869. Not only is there no runway repavement on Friday mornings, we got an ETC of $2k+ each for going a day earlier, and we snagged the 77W EWR-SFO-HKG and then continuing on a day later to Singapore and Bali. We will pick up the 4th member of the party in Hong Kong.
^

Not to mention that straight through EWR-DPS was going to be pretty brutal.
Old May 4, 17, 11:41 am

^

Not to mention that straight through EWR-DPS was going to be pretty brutal.
If it were UA metal I might just do it, in theory of course
Old May 5, 17, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
FlySFO 5 May 2017
Runway 28L to remain open this weekend. Scheduled repair work has been cancelled for this weekend.
Apparently due to forecasted high winds
Old May 5, 17, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
FlySFO 5 May 2017

Just saw the same on the local news and might be a tad bumpy the climb out tonight on my redeye to FLL as it's quite windy now in the city
Old May 5, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Just saw the same on the local news ...
Likely we were watching the same news, CH 5 / KCBS?

Have a safe trip.
Old May 5, 17, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
FlySFO 5 May 2017

Actually these high winds affected ops this morning (down to using only 28L/R at one point) and are forecasted to continue through the weekend.

Was stuck in DEN for awhile today because of this, delayed departure (sked 1000 MDT), and then penalty box, but by the time we arrived SFO, no vectoring, and the descent was pretty smooth on a 738. As we landed I could see that all departures were lined up for 28L.

What's not clear is whether the winds would cause problems for the construction crews, or whether potentially being limited to 28L/R for most/all of Saturday to 1200 Sunday would be too much to bear. It just seems a bit odd - not like it's a typhoon or a cyclone.
Old May 5, 17, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by garkster View Post
... What's not clear is whether the winds would cause problems for the construction crews, or whether potentially being limited to 28L/R for most/all of Saturday to 1200 Sunday would be too much to bear. ...
The reason provided in the newscast was that operation with only one runaway and high winds would further exasperate the delays and cancellations.
Old May 5, 17, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
The reason provided in the newscast was that operation with only one runaway and high winds would further exasperate the delays and cancellations.
Yeah, that would be pretty nasty if they were down to single runway (28R) ops.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: