Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Wiki Link
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 17, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
Any airline that does it would be throwing away money to their competitors. You can't blame airlines for it. If anyone should be blamed, it's SFO. But even then this might be their only option to minimize the negative effects.
Sure, but in a sense the airlines are scheduling flights which they know they can't operate on time. With the magnitude of the delays that seem to hitting every weekend, this is going to look bad and probably be a statistically significant hit to OTP numbers.

But yes, I'm also saying this because I thought I could get around the tail end of this with a midnight arrival and I'm stuck here in the MSP concourse waiting for our currently 2 hours delayed departure clearance.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
This is getting ridiculous when they could shuffle schedule in advance.
They'd lose delay program slots if they did so, since it's ration by schedule.

Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
Ouch. ATC giveth, and ATC taketh away. Nothing an airline can do sometimes.
Could also be the company reshuffling the slots toward more important flights. ATC sets the capacity and rations out the slots, but the company picks which flight goes when.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
T
Could also be the company reshuffling the slots toward more important flights. ATC sets the capacity and rations out the slots, but the company picks which flight goes when.
Which means the pax from LAX, SAN, PDX, SEA, etc., who are connecting long-haul at SFO get hosed.

At the very least, UA could have contingency planned for that. They knew it was coming.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
It's bad, all around. I'm picking up the other half from SBA, unfortunately on UA 5888 tonight, but at least it's getting close and is only arriving 4 hours and 12 minutes late at 10:03pm...
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
It's bad, all around. I'm picking up the other half from SBA, unfortunately on UA 5888 tonight, but at least it's getting close and is only arriving 4 hours and 12 minutes late at 10:03pm...
UA 736 SAN to SFO arriving 4 hours and 43 min late at 11:12 p.m.
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold/GE
Ouch, they cancelled SFO-OTH today, and not a cloud in the sky
Old May 1, 17, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS
There is also construction happening on 25R at LAX, which is causing some delays:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/noise/4-13-17%2025R%20RSA%20Closure.pdf?platform=hootsuite
Old May 1, 17, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky View Post
There is also construction happening on 25R at LAX, which is causing some delays:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...form=hootsuite
Thank you for posting this! I flew out on a redeye (LAX-ORD) last Thursday and was drifting off into sleep the pilot said that our takeoff was delayed by about 30 due to runway construction. Commented to my travel partner that I thought that it was only occurring at SFO and not LAX.

Good to know! Yay...more delays.
Old May 1, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
Thank you for posting this! I flew out on a redeye (LAX-ORD) last Thursday and was drifting off into sleep the pilot said that our takeoff was delayed by about 30 due to runway construction. Commented to my travel partner that I thought that it was only occurring at SFO and not LAX.

Good to know! Yay...more delays.
Yeah, both airport runway closures wreaked havoc on my trip to SBP this weekend. I thought I was going to be good flying through LAX on the return...my wife missed an important meeting this morning due to the 2.5 hour delay in our LAX-IAD redeye 😕
Old May 3, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just an update on this weekend at SFO. Runway 28L/10R and Runway 19R/1L closed May 5 from 11:59 p.m. through May 7 at noon. I am on the 6:30pm SFO-SAN run on May 5 and should miss it. Also taking last flight back from SAN on Sunday. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old May 3, 17, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA*G life-qualifier
I am flying with a friend EWR-SFO-Int'l on 20MAY, and I have another friend flying LAX-SFO-Int'l same day to meet up with us. Given it looks like we will be affected similarly by runway construction what is the MCT people would recommend from A) EWR and B) LAX via SFO to Int'l destinations?

Probably best to get this fixed now than wait until the day before....

Adam
Old May 3, 17, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
I am flying with a friend EWR-SFO-Int'l on 20MAY, and I have another friend flying LAX-SFO-Int'l same day to meet up with us. Given it looks like we will be affected similarly by runway construction what is the MCT people would recommend from A) EWR and B) LAX via SFO to Int'l destinations?
EWR is going to be much less prone to delay. LAX could be a problem.

What time is the Int'l departure?
Old May 3, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA*G life-qualifier
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
EWR is going to be much less prone to delay. LAX could be a problem.

What time is the Int'l departure?
We are connecting to UA869 at 1pm (Saturday)

LAX traveler has 2 hours to connect at SFO.

Me and my buddy from EWR have 1 hour 14 mins to connect at SFO.

I'm guessing we all need more time since A) we don't know what weather will be that day and B) we are connecting onward from HKG to SIN and then DPS. I wish I had known about this before I booked all these tickets!
Old May 3, 17, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

I'm guessing we all need more time since A) we don't know what weather will be that day and B) we are connecting onward from HKG to SIN and then DPS. I wish I had known about this before I booked all these tickets!
They have been saying that the delays are NOT typically effecting the TATL and TPAC flights but your buddy coming up from LAX to SFO MAY have an issue.
Old May 3, 17, 3:09 pm

Programs: Happy free agent (former UA 1K), Bonvoy Gold

From what I've seen, there's a high chance you're going to misconnect. I'd try to move onto earlier flights if possible. As nomad420 said, the delays have been mostly shorthaul, not longhaul flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: