Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Wiki Link
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 25, 17, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Another option is to have the Uber drop you off at the rental car center and take the AirTrain from there.
Old Apr 25, 17, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ryder1650 View Post
Another option is to have the Uber drop you off at the rental car center and take the AirTrain from there.
Or drop off at the International Terminal / G gates and walk to UA F gates from there (a bit longer walk to E gates).
Old Apr 25, 17, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.
Comparing to UA's rigid flight scheduling and poor ability to manage IRROPS, it was amazing how flexible and creative Southwest can be. I once had a LAS-SFO flight cancelled due to weather-caused congestion at SFO, and Southwest used the same aircraft parked at the LAS gate, created a new flight LAS-OAK with a WN99xx flight number, called for passengers to rebook at the podium, and got the flight out at the originally scheduled LAS-SFO departure time.
Old Apr 25, 17, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Ditto. Dropoff=Intl. Park=G Garage/Lvl 8

I've always loved G, but there's no way I'll deal with the loop when being dropped off until construction is done, which is somewhere around 2022...
I used to park in G, but now that the prices are the same, it's much faster to park on the top level of the domestic parking garage. Take the ramp on the left side to the top floor and park right by the Terminal F air train station. Just a quick walk over the bridge and you are dropped down to the elite security lines. That deck also has it's own exit if you are paying by fasttrack or CC. Easy in/out and avoids the entire loop.
Old Apr 25, 17, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Never thought I'd see the day when BART looked so good.

For Uber/Lyft arrivals, the West Field Rd AirTrain station would also be a good option.
Old Apr 26, 17, 2:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Im kind of nervous for my flights this weekend.... Traveling IAH-SFO-HKG.... and colleague is flying LAX-SFO-HKG - we are meeting in SFO this saturday. I have 3 hours in SFO and my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO (is this an issue as it seems UAExpress flights are often delayed/cancelled before mainline?)
Old Apr 26, 17, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by garkster View Post

For Uber/Lyft arrivals, the West Field Rd AirTrain station would also be a good option.
Why can't uber just drop you off at the terminal? wouldn't that be easier?
Old Apr 26, 17, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
and my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO (is this an issue as it seems UAExpress flights are often delayed/cancelled before mainline?)
Yes. I would consider SDCing to an earlier flight if possible.
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I had a 2 hour delay SF0-PHL last weekend. Does UA have some sort of Waiver in place. I tried to change my PHL-SF0 for this coming weekend and the rep didn't know. Offered to ask a service director but I said I have to go.. Didn't want a note in my PNR. I may just hope for a SDC or take the gamble..
Old Apr 26, 17, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO
Recipe for disaster even without the runway issues.
Old Apr 26, 17, 10:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post

Why can't uber just drop you off at the terminal? wouldn't that be easier?
Of the sub-themes of this thread, aside from the runway work, is the congestion in the terminal loop road due to other work.
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
I had a 2 hour delay SF0-PHL last weekend. Does UA have some sort of Waiver in place. I tried to change my PHL-SF0 for this coming weekend and the rep didn't know. Offered to ask a service director but I said I have to go.. Didn't want a note in my PNR. I may just hope for a SDC or take the gamble..
I was on PHL-SFO last week (April 20) and our scheduled arrival was 9:44 PM and we got in after midnight. I've been flying this route for a few weeks and never made it in before 10 PM PST
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: None

I stopped parking at SFO about 1.5 years ago. I park at Anza parking which is about 3-4 miles south of airport. It's half the price and valet. It does take sometimes up to 15 minutes to get the shuttle from International terminal, but at that price it is worth the wait.And when you get let off at the parking, your car is waiting and people are smiling. Priceless!
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:54 am

Do you guys this United would provide a 1K any compensation for getting caught up in this. I know it is technically not their fault. I was supposed to fly DEN-SFO-HKG-MNL on Monday, missed my connection in SFO due to this issue. They would not provide alternate options prior to leaving Denver when I found out this was going to be a problem a couple days before I left. Ended up having to go SFO-PVG which was awful, switched to China Eastern to get to MNL (service was good, product sucked), adding about seven hours to my travel time.
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shawnjeck View Post
Do you guys this United would provide a 1K any compensation for getting caught up in this.
I would recommend doing it. I fired off an email this morning, and less than an hour later received a phone call, and then an email response with a E-cert. I am merely a Silver Elite, but even when I was 1K, it never was that fast.

Within my email I point blank asked UA why they "fully scheduled flights well knowing that their was scheduled construction on specific days" given that in the past, notably after the OZ accident, they preemptively xld flights in advance and included a link to the SFO construction schedule. This was the response I got:

"Also, thank you for the link regarding the SFO runway construction. I have forwarded the link to our lead customer care department for review."

I laughed thinking that somehow scheduling had no clue about this previously and merely my email with the link has them scrambling to change the schedule around.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: