Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Wiki Link
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 17, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Does UA have any operations at OAK these days?
sadly, no. I miss that operation - the CSR's there were incredibly friendly, especially the one who, on occasion, donned a name tag titled "mud."
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...

No. They could revive their SFO-SJC bus line
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Worst thing about SFO is the loop road going T1->2->3. Nowadays, I have to budget an extra 10-15 mins to drive a couple hundred yards because of how jammed it's gotten, since both arriving and departing Ubers/Lyfts come to the departures level. (I fly ex-SFO on Thursday nights and Friday mornings.)
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Are these construction related delays only take place on weekend or are they impacted everyday for the next 7 weeks?
6pm Friday until noon on Monday.
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Are these construction related delays only take place on weekend or are they impacted everyday for the next 7 weeks?

I will think about not connecting via SFO if this gets worse!
Nope, just 1800 Friday to 1200 Monday.
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Good news though, no runway construction Memorial Day Weekend!

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ate-runway-28l
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Worst thing about SFO is the loop road going T1->2->3. Nowadays, I have to budget an extra 10-15 mins to drive a couple hundred yards because of how jammed it's gotten, since both arriving and departing Ubers/Lyfts come to the departures level. (I fly ex-SFO on Thursday nights and Friday mornings.)
There's an eternal jam now because of the construction area at the beginning of T1 - the roadway is closed next to the terminal building until further down. If I were in a rush trying to get to T3, I'd get dropped off at the far end of International and walk a few minutes.
Old Apr 24, 17, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
There's an eternal jam now because of the construction area at the beginning of T1 - the roadway is closed next to the terminal building until further down. If I were in a rush trying to get to T3, I'd get dropped off at the far end of International and walk a few minutes.
These days, I either park in short term (even if it's for a few days), or if I'm taking Uber to the airport I pay the driver to detour thru the short term garage and drop me off in there. It's worth a few dollars for the minimum parking charge to avoid the traffic jam on the loop road.

Bob
Old Apr 24, 17, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
These days, I either park in short term (even if it's for a few days), or if I'm taking Uber to the airport I pay the driver to detour thru the short term garage and drop me off in there. It's worth a few dollars for the minimum parking charge to avoid the traffic jam on the loop road.
You can avoid all that by taking the cut-off to International and parking in G Garage. I like that garage best anyways, though it's now rather a long walk to Premier check-in.
Old Apr 24, 17, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You can avoid all that by taking the cut-off to International and parking in G Garage. I like that garage best anyways, though it's now rather a long walk to Premier check-in.
Thats exactly where I always park, level 8 and then take the Airtrain to T3.
Old Apr 24, 17, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by altbg View Post
Thats exactly where I always park, level 8 and then take the Airtrain to T3.
Ditto. Dropoff=Intl. Park=G Garage/Lvl 8

I've always loved G, but there's no way I'll deal with the loop when being dropped off until construction is done, which is somewhere around 2022...
Old Apr 25, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
This past Saturday on our DCA to SFO flight, we were asked to do a ground stop at dca and were sitting on the apron for 50 mins due to runway construction at sfo.
Old Apr 25, 17, 9:59 am

7 more weekends to go. Alaska rerouted some flights to OAK yesterday. I saw one post where they sent out a text message 7 hours ahead, so passengers had plenty of time to get over there. They also ran a shuttle bus from SFO.

Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.
Old Apr 25, 17, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.
Oh how I wish UA rerouted 1 or 2 flights to SJC. Especially the delay prone LAX-SFO route. Considering almost flying Alaska out of SJC.
Old Apr 25, 17, 10:17 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Short-term parking doesn't require the use of the loop, though. What's the benefit to G when parking?

G used to be a bargain when it first opened, but not so much anymore.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: