Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Wiki Link
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 17, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA/US ExPlat & 1.05MM, AF C2K, UA dirt
Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
Interesting to see what happened regarding the weekend runway work at at SFO:

As posted above: “ Amazingly, my PDX-SFO flight was showing as on time all morning -- until I got to the gate and they told us that we'd be about 20 minutes delayed. This slipped a bit but eventually we loaded and taxied out to the runway with a wheels up time of 1:05pm. The pilots flew as fast as they could and we landed at SFO around 2:23. It took us about 5 minutes to taxi over to gate 75, and another 5 minutes to be towed into the gate, for a 2:39 arrival. I was the 3rd person off the plane, and I hoofed it over to the International Terminal. I was extremely grateful that we arrived at Gate 75 and not 67 as had been originally scheduled. As I rounded the corner from the United Club along the G concourse, there was a United agent who was standing there looking for me -- and once I confirmed my identity radioed the gate "1A is here, hold the plane". I got to the gate at 2:48, they scanned my BP and closed the boarding door behind me as I entered the plane. “

But this was *not* the case for mid-week SEA-SFO pax on last Wednesday (May 31) on UA 214 connecting to the SYD flight (UA 863). There was a 1 hr hold at SEA announced just as regular boarding was scheduled, so I called the 1K line to appraise them of a potential connection problem for ourselves and one other pax. Upon arrival at SFO, there was an announcement to the effect “Atlanta passengers, flight is being held for you”, but nothing re SYD pax. We took off for Intl gate G102, but encountered NO UA agent (as described above) & instead found the door closed although plane was still at the gate. Ms BH knocked on the jetway door, but was instead threatened by some SFO officiant with a call to security. So we hoofed it up the concourse where we found some UA agents who rebooked us on 863 for the next day … but that’s a whole ‘nother story. So, armed with new flight documents & a sheaf of hotel/meal vouchers it was off to the SFO-area Crowne Plaza for an overnite stay.

Bottom line: In the course of a number of TPAC departures from SFO it has not been unusual for us to be sitting on planes being held for connecting pax. You’d think that with one departure per day for, say SYD or HKG or KIX , you’d hope that this would have been the case here. But NOOOO, (sarcasm alert) guess those Atlanta pax were just plain lucky.
This was my experience too...and to add further insult, 869 left with 28 seats open (28 pax from LAX missed the connection).

And it seems that UA has changed my ONT-SFO-CTU at the end of the month, so that instead of the 6am ONT-SFO, I'm on the 9:05am. Guess I'm going to have to call this one in now.
Old Jun 5, 17, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
Interesting to see what happened regarding the weekend runway work at at SFO: ...

But this was *not* the case for mid-week SEA-SFO pax on last Wednesday (May 31) on UA 214 connecting to the SYD flight (UA 863). There was a 1 hr hold at SEA announced just as regular boarding was scheduled, so I called the 1K line to appraise them of a potential connection problem for ourselves and one other pax. Upon arrival at SFO, there was an announcement to the effect “Atlanta passengers, flight is being held for you”, but nothing re SYD pax. We took off for Intl gate G102, but encountered NO UA agent (as described above) & instead found the door closed although plane was still at the gate. Ms BH knocked on the jetway door, but was instead threatened by some SFO officiant with a call to security. So we hoofed it up the concourse where we found some UA agents who rebooked us on 863 for the next day … but that’s a whole ‘nother story. So, armed with new flight documents & a sheaf of hotel/meal vouchers it was off to the SFO-area Crowne Plaza for an overnite stay.

Bottom line: In the course of a number of TPAC departures from SFO it has not been unusual for us to be sitting on planes being held for connecting pax. You’d think that with one departure per day for, say SYD or HKG or KIX , you’d hope that this would have been the case here. But NOOOO, (sarcasm alert) guess those Atlanta pax were just plain lucky.
I too find it sad that UA won't hold one a day flights like SFO-SYD for 10 minutes or so for connecting pax, when they know those pax will be arriving soon, and in this case the plane was still at the gate!
Old Jun 6, 17, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
I too find it sad that UA won't hold one a day flights like SFO-SYD for 10 minutes or so for connecting pax, when they know those pax will be arriving soon, and in this case the plane was still at the gate!
Unfortunately, on those ultra long-hauls, the risk of crew timeouts is too great to hold the plane, most times. Cancelling the flight due to time outs would be a lot more disruptive than rebooking one or two pax who missed the connection. I connect to the Australia flights at LAX or SFO once a year, and I never leave less than six hours for the connection to avoid such a scenario.
Old Jun 6, 17, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Ok, so is the runway repair finished?
Old Jun 6, 17, 6:49 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Just to follow-up on this in case anybody was curious..

I watched operations and PDX-SFO flights Saturday, which as @chipmaster pointed out seemed especially bad. The 12:18 flight I was scheduled on the next day was over 2 hours late. I couldn't SDC to anything that worked with my schedule (via IAD just wasn't going to cut it) so I decided to try my luck as scheduled. It wasn't an encouraging sign when I noticed that I'd been protected on the 7pm SFO-FRA connecting to FRA-CDG in Y .

Amazingly, my PDX-SFO flight was showing as on time all morning -- until I got to the gate and they told us that we'd be about 20 minutes delayed. This slipped a bit but eventually we loaded and taxied out to the runway with a wheels up time of 1:05pm. The pilots flew as fast as they could and we landed at SFO around 2:23. It took us about 5 minutes to taxi over to gate 75, and another 5 minutes to be towed into the gate, for a 2:39 arrival. I was the 3rd person off the plane, and I hoofed it over to the International Terminal. I was extremely grateful that we arrived at Gate 75 and not 67 as had been originally scheduled. As I rounded the corner from the United Club along the G concourse, there was a United agent who was standing there looking for me -- and once I confirmed my identity radioed the gate "1A is here, hold the plane". I got to the gate at 2:48, they scanned my BP and closed the boarding door behind me as I entered the plane.

I'm super grateful United went at least slightly out of their way to make sure I made the connection. I would be surprised if I were the only person originating in PDX who was headed to CDG, and if so the other people didn't make the connection.

The taxi out to Runway 28R was an unusual route, alongside the training 767, the maintenance hangers and parking areas and we were airborne less than 40 minutes after I first landed at SFO.
Well here is what finally happened to me:
UA727 scheduled 9:35, finally departed 11:45 and arrived 139 minutes delayed

Of course missed my SFO-PVG 1:40pm flight. I believe there were 14 of us that missed that flight

Walked briskly to the international service center, but they said they were closing and I had to go to the domestic service center near gate60. Walked all the way there to find them 30 persons deep. Called the service center and found they were of no help for that days next flight as that was full. Must have been a minute late as a couple behind me also missed the 1:40 but just scored two tickets on UA891 4:30 flight. After long wait was placed #8 standby with option to instead switch to next day seat on 4:30. Sadly they couldn't allow me both options, had to pick. The service agent was then nice enough to take a look and see that due to the SFO delays it looked like 4-6 people incoming would miss their connect so I decided to try my luck at standby. Luck was with me, was the next to last standby to make the 4:30 flight.

All in all, nice that the service agent gave me some good data on odds of others missing.

Terrible that United, knowing that SFO would have delays allows this kind of thing to happen to their passengers at such a big hub.

Assessment, they got a lock on markets, they don't really care, where is competition is all I got to say!
Old Jun 6, 17, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Ok, so is the runway repair finished?
A few posts back
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
All work up to Phase 9 has been completed.
This appears to mean all runway closures have been completed

Most recent published update
Taxiway F closure will continue until Thursday 6/8 0800
Phase 10: Friday 6/2/2017 – Thursday 6/8/2017*
Taxiway Closure: TWY F (Between N and 28L)
Continuous closure from Friday 2200 to Thursday 0800
Phase 11 (final phase) is nighttime work until 7/11/2017 (July 11)
"Electrical prep work for 28L continues on a nightly basis."
Old Jun 6, 17, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Thanks, see it now. Was buried between all these gigantic ******** posts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: