Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Unhappy Booking Swiss and other Partner flights on ual.com

Since about 3 weeks it is not possible anymore to find decent priced Intra-Europe Swiss flights on ual.com

I have booked several just Swiss and/or other European Partner flights in the last 6 months on ual.com which gives more RDM than if booked on the Swiss or LH website.

Does anyone now why UA stopped this? I still see the prices if I select trip duration instead of exact dates but when I click on the dates the normal Y-rates show up.

For example ZRH - BRU 29.5 - 1.6.2017

monthly overview shows prices as low as CHF 354 exact dates start only at CHF 1'134

Your help is appreciated
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by appenzeller
Does anyone now why UA stopped this?
It wasn't UA. The LH Group's new fare rules require that those tickets now be sold exclusively on native (i.e., LX) ticket stock.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the quick reply - starting when exactly was this enforced?

Sad to see all the RDM possibilities disappear. Also P, D business class to Asia can't be booked anymore

I wonder if this is really in the interest of LH group - they do use channels like Expedia and Co. which for sure are not offerring them a better margin then UA.

but then again it is LH
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thank you for the quick reply - starting when exactly was this enforced?
A couple of weeks ago.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Does this affect award tickets as well? Using UA miles to buy an intra-Europe LH flight?

Originally Posted by jmanirish
The one-way fare is a completely separate issue. Almost all (I'd venture even all, but somebody will probably find one and prove me wrong) TATL fares require a round trip purchase. Separate from the intra-europe LH plating restrictions Oliver posted.
For one-ways, you're better off using 5th freedom flights. You can get reasonable rates e.g. on SQ JFK-FRA, EK JFK-MXP, EK EWR-ATH, and NZ LAX-LHR.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, its a way of getting rid of one major complaint about intra-EU travel. No more complaints about intra-EU fares sold on UA going into the 'light' group of fares without notice, without a bag allowance for free, even for elites.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Does this affect award tickets as well? Using UA miles to buy an intra-Europe LH flight?
No.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well, its a way of getting rid of one major complaint about intra-EU travel. No more complaints about intra-EU fares sold on UA going into the 'light' group of fares without notice, without a bag allowance for free, even for elites.
I wonder if that wasn't one of the primary motivations of the change.

Though the problem will persist on JV TATL fares with intra-Europe connections.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Though the problem will persist on JV TATL fares with intra-Europe connections.
How so? If you're flying TATL, bag allowance is based on the policy of the marketing carrier of the first flight, and that stays for the whole itinerary. Therefore, the allowance for TATL will always be what is used. When returning from EU, even on a light fare, bag allowance of the outbound prevails. Even if the flight starts within EU, the rules mean it applies based on TATL routing.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Effective today LH group no longer allows other carriers to plate pure LH group fares. So UA will no longer be able to sell intra Europe tickets on UA.bomb and on 016 stock. UA/LH fares filed under the various JVs (transatlantic, J++, etc) are not affected.
It was also a way to avoid their ridiculous OPC (Optional Payment Charge), which for the UK is as much as Ł20 - not that it matters if you're forced to book through your corporate travel provider
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
How so? If you're flying TATL, bag allowance is based on the policy of the marketing carrier of the first flight, and that stays for the whole itinerary. Therefore, the allowance for TATL will always be what is used. When returning from EU, even on a light fare, bag allowance of the outbound prevails. Even if the flight starts within EU, the rules mean it applies based on TATL routing.
In theory.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
It was also a way to avoid their ridiculous OPC (Optional Payment Charge), which for the UK is as much as Ł20 - not that it matters if you're forced to book through your corporate travel provider
Is that the same thing as the EUR16 GDS surcharge? If not, then I would imagine there was a population of travel agents ticketing on other carriers to avoid that fee.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My issue with intra-EU travel is that a lot of times I need to book o/w flights and 95% of the time LH group flights are so much $$$$ to connect in FRA/ZRH. If I wanted to keep it in *A for miles usually SAS had a decent fares if it was not too out of the way to connect in Scandinavia.

In the past year or two I decided my time/energy was worth just getting to where I wanted to go and forfeit the miles to just fly things like BA, KLM, AB.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
That's probably a better explanation. It's always about the money.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I wonder if this is really in the interest of LH group - they do use channels like Expedia and Co. which for sure are not offerring them a better margin then UA.

but then again it is LH
The Lufthansa Group's move is in line with IATA Resolutions that strongly favor ticketing only by an airline actually part of the purchased itinerary. The practice of "off-plating" is strongly discouraged, and we will continue to see more airlines add plating restrictions to curtail the practice.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The Lufthansa Group's move is in line with IATA Resolutions that strongly favor ticketing only by an airline actually part of the purchased itinerary. The practice of "off-plating" is strongly discouraged, and we will continue to see more airlines add plating restrictions to curtail the practice.
Yes, but isn't this a bit of a nuclear option? Means you can't do end-on-end with UA and LH for intra Europe. For example, SFO-FRA// FRA-CDG// CDG-SFO, with a few days in FRA and CDG (assuming SFO-CDG fares, or FRA-SFO fares don't allow stopovers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.