Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH Senator, TX Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
​​​​​​
I created a profile on LH but was concerned it would switch the flight from my MP number. Is your experience that merely putting the LH booking reference in the LH profile will not change the assigned FF# for the booking?

I have done the seat assignments on LH using the booking reference but think you are suggesting something different. I did create a profile on LH for previous LH flights but got concerned LH would switch out the FF#.
I have done more bookings than I can count on united.com and then added them to my LH profile if I needed to add luggage, upgrade or purchase seats. Your FF# will not change unless you choose to do this yourself.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by BoyenScout
I have done more bookings than I can count on united.com and then added them to my LH profile if I needed to add luggage, upgrade or purchase seats. Your FF# will not change unless you choose to do this yourself.
Thank you BoyenScout. This is why I love FT. I learn new things all the time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
I could have booked my LH stand alone intra-EU flights on united.com, but the fare was about $1200 in Business LHR-MUC-FCO-LHR.

Went to LH site and paid about 421GBP total for the same flights but alas not PQD. Fare only 148gbp with 273 as taxes/surcharges/fees
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by PSPAirliner
I could have booked my LH stand alone intra-EU flights on united.com, but the fare was about $1200 in Business LHR-MUC-FCO-LHR.

Went to LH site and paid about 421GBP total for the same flights but alas not PQD. Fare only 148gbp with 273 as taxes/surcharges/fees
They need to do like DL and AA and allow PQD on non-016 tickets. It's frustrating.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PSPAirliner
For an empty middle seat and a plate of cold food?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by Kacee
For an empty middle seat and a plate of cold food?
Yes. Compare Economy fare with C. Plus lounge access and I have a 6 hour layover at LHR.

Talk about a kill-joy
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, A-Club Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador
Star Alliance partners only showing up with full Y and J fares?

Trying to book two separate trips in Europe - UK to Germany and UK to Switzerland, which I've done via the UA website in the past with no issues. It is now only showing up Y and J fare classes - and full J for a two hour flight is not justifiable in anyway (circa £1600 return in one of the cases on UA).

Anyone else seeing these issues? Going to Lufthansa or Swiss directly shows availability across a variety of fare classes, which is what I will probably end up booking. The 016 tickets were the main reason for doing it via United.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by startupflyer
Trying to book two separate trips in Europe - UK to Germany and UK to Switzerland, which I've done via the UA website in the past with no issues. It is now only showing up Y and J fare classes - and full J for a two hour flight is not justifiable in anyway (circa £1600 return in one of the cases on UA).

Anyone else seeing these issues? Going to Lufthansa or Swiss directly shows availability across a variety of fare classes, which is what I will probably end up booking. The 016 tickets were the main reason for doing it via United.
I think there was another thread here that mentioned the LH Group was going to stop selling tickets that had flights on only their metal, on 016 stock, starting a few months back. This would probably be an indicator of that (i.e. only selling full-fare tickets on 016 stock).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, A-Club Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think there was another thread here that mentioned the LH Group was going to stop selling tickets that had flights on only their metal, on 016 stock, starting a few months back. This would probably be an indicator of that (i.e. only selling full-fare tickets on 016 stock).
Ah I'd missed that, thank you. Confusion cleared up.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think, IIRC, this is actually more widespread than LH, as, IIRC, IATA recently began discouraging (or is highlighting existing guidance) to plating tickets on a carrier that doesn't have a flight in the itinerary.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No this is an LH Group specific restriction.

It was implemented to protect LH Group's new booking fees, which could be avoided by having the tickets issued by another carrier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:34 am Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines

It was implemented to protect LH Group's new booking fees, which could be avoided by having the tickets issued by another carrier.
Plating restrictions exist across a number of airlines. Within Star, I'm seeing ever-increasing numbers of fares offered by LOT Polish, TAP Portugal, Singapore Airlines, SAS, South African Airways, EVA AIR, Thai Airways, Copa Airlines, and Avianca with similar plating restrictions as the Lufthansa Group carriers.

To encampbe's point, the industry is intensifying prohibitions against off-plating, for a number of reasons. The booking fees are but a sideshow compared to the fees airlines pay each other for settling interline bookings, the costs and difficulties of servicing wholly OAL bookings, and the fact the plating carrier keeps all ticket revenue until the flights are flown (depriving the operating carrier of use of the funds pre-departure).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I think, IIRC, this is actually more widespread than LH, as, IIRC, IATA recently began discouraging (or is highlighting existing guidance) to plating tickets on a carrier that doesn't have a flight in the itinerary.

It's a bit of both. Most LH group fares require plating on LH group stock, but in addition to that some GDSes (or at least Sabre) now technically restrict ticketing on UA stock when there are no UA segments. The Sabre restrictions wouldn't affect bookings on united.com, but in general it's a fairly recent development (within the last couple months) that shows significant movement towards enforcing the IATA plating guidelines.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Ticket price imbalances?

I searched the United site for a flight from FRA-BCN, and it returned several LH operated nonstops for $850 to over $1000.

Then I searched the LH site, and they listed the same flights starting at 87 Euro?

What gives? UA doesn't need a price factor of 10X to cover the cost of their MP miles.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I searched the United site for a flight from FRA-BCN, and it returned several LH operated nonstops for $850 to over $1000.

Then I searched the LH site, and they listed the same flights starting at 87 Euro?

What gives? UA doesn't need a price factor of 10X to cover the cost of their MP miles.
LH changed the rules recently and will only allow other partners (non LH-group) to book full fare tickets for solely intra-european itins. More plating restrictions.

Check the fare classes -- they will likely be very different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.