Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The short answer is no and that is the general practice across the domestic carriers. There are few exceptions.
While there are some who have access due to UC membership or status, for other access it is only if
Premium cabin passengers for "transcontinental business class " (SFO/LAX<> EWR/JFK) or "United Business class within the U.S." (SFO<> BOS)
or Active duty U.S. military personnel under certain circumstances
For more on the "exceptions" see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
So why not all domestic F passengers, besides it is not the practice? Essentially there is not enough lounge space and it would be too expensive to build enough space.
Additionally, average domestic fare is too low to fund the space needed.

Why can non-domestic carriers do this in their domestic zone? The amount of in country travel / first class is very small in comparison to the USA (in most cases) plus their train competition offers lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
correct - silvers don't get lounge access under any circumstances (unless you have it through other methods). Also wouldn't get it transborder traveling in Y.
Yeah that figures. My TB flights are AC J.

It's a shame, my friend only ever flies Y by himself and his only J and F trips with me are domestically outside Canada so he's never seen a lounge.

Thanks for confirming. It was, at least, cheap.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What does *S actually get anyone? Seems pretty worthless in comparison to all the benefits that *G confers...
To be honest... nothing really. Officially Priority reservations waitlisting and Priority airport standby are listed.

I heard UA used to offer priority services, so checkin/security/boarding with at least E35 if not P25 (both are *S) and still do but don't officially acknowledge it. No way of telling unless I fly UA Y which I'm not planning on doing in the near future.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:49 pm

United Lounge - First Class Access

Please be kind - I am new to these boards.

We are flying first class (paid for it) from RDU to HNL. TA assures us that we will have lounge access at SFO for our long layover. Posts here and elsewhere indicate that that is not the case. We paid over $4000. RT for 2 for these flights.

Will we be admitted to the lounge?
Old May 8, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
No, domestic (and HNL is domestic) first class tickets do not grant lounge access. (with the caveats listed by sfo789 two posts below).
Old May 8, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
No. For all intents and purposes, you're flying 'domestic United First' which does not grant lounge access.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Only way that would happen is (1) you have Star Alliance Gold status with an airline that isn't UA -- in which case, present your card with your BP for lounge access at every point on your route; or (2) you're flying RDU-EWR-SFO-HNL, in which case the EWR-SFO segment is in PS business and you can get into the UC at EWR and SFO with your BP.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sfo789
or (2) you're flying RDU-EWR-SFO-HNL, in which case the EWR-SFO segment is in PS business and you can get into the UC at EWR and SFO with your BP.
Clever! And a legal routing, too. Bonus points if you pick up the 77W.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:18 pm

No, RDU direct to SFO. That makes no sense!
Old May 8, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If your tickets say United First - NO
If your tickets somehow miraculously say United Business - Yes (Most Likely)

That said, if you have a Platinum AMEX, go to the Centurion Lounge - 10000000000 times better than UC anyway
Old May 8, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Gosh coming from the east coast and flying in a paid premium cabin, I think I would probably prefer to do RDU-ATL-HNL on Delta (or RDU-IAH-HNL on United). The SFO routing is nicely timed but if you're already paying premium-cabin prices you might as well get lie-flat seats most of the way instead of doing the transcon part in United's Big Front Seat style domestic first class.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If your tickets say United First - NO
If your tickets somehow miraculously say United Business - Yes (Most Likely)

That said, if you have a Platinum AMEX, go to the Centurion Lounge - 10000000000 times better than UC anyway
Business is better than first, really? We have First. No AMEX.

And the trip is Wednesday - no time to reroute.

Sorry for being so naïve - we don't fly much and usually on Southwest. We thought that by paying big bucks to fly to HNL, we'd get the best. Probably need a new TA!
Old May 8, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by annewpayne1953
Probably need a new TA!
I think so
Old May 8, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Business is better than first, really? We have First.
Business (lieflats) >>> (domestic) first with recliners (though, confusingly, "First" on SFO-HNL is lieflat).

If your fare is expensive enough, it might be changeable/flexible, so there's a chance of snagging a routing through EWR and SFO or LAX for little/no cost. For example I see 2 seats in P on RDU-EWR-LAX-HNL (1849->1295->1232, 7:20a-9:40p), and 2 in A/P/Z on RDU-EWR-SFO-HNL getting in 2:30 earlier.

That said, the extra layover and journey time might not be worth your while just for lounge access; I've always found the morning RDU-SFO to have great crews, and SFO-HNL in lieflats should be a nice ride.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:55 pm

Business is better than first, really? We have First. No AMEX.

And the trip is Wednesday - no time to reroute.

Sorry for being so naïve - we don't fly much and usually on Southwest. We thought that by paying big bucks to fly to HNL, we'd get the best. Probably need a new TA!
Its somewhat confusing terminology but basically domestically UA only sells economy and first. On international flights UA sells economy business and first, but many planes only have two classes outfitted so it is just marketed as business. Effectively the rule becomes "lounge access with an international flight and a premium cabin ticket".

The impact of this rule is that your itenarary will not grant access to lounges. Whereas someone could book a premium cabin seat on an ERJ75 from IAH to Mexico and have access for an under 2 hour flight. Annoying, and odd, but the rules.

You could look to same day change within 24 hours of departure for a fee. Could be worth it for lounge access and more desirable cabins/planes.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Business (lieflats) >>> (domestic) first with recliners (though, confusingly, "First" on SFO-HNL is lieflat).
Yeah, it's kind of silly. Using the old pre-Polaris nomenclature...

United Global First > United BusinessFirst > United Business* >= United First

*United Business is the same service as United First, but offered on short-haul international routes (Canada, Mexico, Central America) and so comes with lounge access.

And the above only holds true "normally" - UA can sub international aircraft on any route which will not change the name of the cabin but does provide a hugely different experience. Now it's probably

United Polaris first > United Polaris business > United Business (EWR-SFO/LAX p.s. service) > United Business (short-haul int'l) >= United First

If your fare is expensive enough, it might be changeable/flexible, so there's a chance of snagging a routing through EWR and SFO or LAX for little/no cost. For example I see 2 seats in P on RDU-EWR-LAX-HNL (1849->1295->1232, 7:20a-9:40p), and 2 in A/P/Z on RDU-EWR-SFO-HNL getting in 2:30 earlier.

That said, the extra layover and journey time might not be worth your while just for lounge access; I've always found the morning RDU-SFO to have great crews, and SFO-HNL in lieflats should be a nice ride.
At $2,000 rt per pax, it's a pretty cheap fare (probably P) and almost certainly not flexible.

While some things might have been better in hindsight (like just flying RDU-EWR/IAD-HNL), it's not that bad as booked. SFO is an extremely pleasant airport to wander around in even without access to a lounge. Head down to E pier for decent chairs, the end of F1 for great runway views, or G pier for a nice airy hall.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Realistically, $4000 for 2 tickets in F for 10-11 hours air travel each way isn't "big bucks". But, since you've spent that kind of money, another $100 paid access isn't that much. Not sure it's worth it myself - $100 can buy better food and drink in the concourses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.