Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The short answer is no and that is the general practice across the domestic carriers. There are few exceptions.
While there are some who have access due to UC membership or status, for other access it is only if
Premium cabin passengers for "transcontinental business class " (SFO/LAX<> EWR/JFK) or "United Business class within the U.S." (SFO<> BOS)
or Active duty U.S. military personnel under certain circumstances
For more on the "exceptions" see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
So why not all domestic F passengers, besides it is not the practice? Essentially there is not enough lounge space and it would be too expensive to build enough space.
Additionally, average domestic fare is too low to fund the space needed.

Why can non-domestic carriers do this in their domestic zone? The amount of in country travel / first class is very small in comparison to the USA (in most cases) plus their train competition offers lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tennen
I do think/wish that domestic UA F connecting to/from international F/J (not just UA but *A too) should get access, but that's a whole different matter...
I thought that those arriving in UA premium cabin internationally connecting to a domestic flight (class irrelevant) do get lounge access. I always have, though maybe those just in premium cabin but without gold/higher don't?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Domestic F is basically just Premium Economy. Matrix even treats it that way.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
True observation -- but paid F in Alaska only gets you access to its own lounges (SEA, PDX, LAX, and I think also one in SFO) -- as AS only has a few lounges. Be interesting to see what AS does with the Virgin America lounges at the other airports where AS does not have a lounge.
I don't think VX has any of its own lounges; they're all VS Clubhouses... At LAX, they're moving to the AS terminal, so I'm guessing the Loft will be closed or converted.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I thought that those arriving in UA premium cabin internationally connecting to a domestic flight (class irrelevant) do get lounge access. I always have, though maybe those just in premium cabin but without gold/higher don't?
UA premium cabin pax are permitted lounge access when connecting domestically. Non-status *A F/J are SOL.

Back on topic, I would've been very peeved 10-20 years ago to have paid the exorbitant prices for domestic F but be denied lounge access. I doubt they would have had much impact on lounge crowding anyway. But with paid F much more affordable these days, I doubt that the lounges would be able to handle the influx.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Domestic F is basically just Premium Economy. Matrix even treats it that way.
Really? I didn't know that.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tennen
I

Back on topic, I would've been very peeved 10-20 years ago to have paid the exorbitant prices for domestic F but be denied lounge access. I doubt they would have had much impact on lounge crowding anyway. But with paid F much more affordable these days, I doubt that the lounges would be able to handle the influx.

Wouldn't it be the F capacity 10-20 years ago affecting hypothetical lounge crowding then and not prices of F tickets?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by entropy
I'll take the US Carriers approach to domestic business class (2x2 wide seats w/more legroom w/no lounge access) over the Euro approach (Y seats with an empty middle w/lounge access) any day.
Depends.
If the flight is one hour and the time spent in a nice LH lounge is 3 hours then I may be convinced.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
I'll take the US Carriers approach to domestic business class (2x2 wide seats w/more legroom w/no lounge access) over the Euro approach (Y seats with an empty middle w/lounge access) any day.
Agree 100%. The in-flight component is far more important. If you don't have lounge access, you can always go to a nice restaurant and have an equivalent experience. You cannot get an equivalent experience to biz/1st in Y.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Come down to Oz and get into the domestic QF Club Lounge(s) with Membership or status. Come into the QF Business Lounge with Business Class BP or any of the above. Very civilised in this First World country. Even the worse of the domestic QF Club Lounges is better than the best AS lounge. . Maybe if UA got rid of the credit card access provisions then they could make access based on real frequent flyer parameters.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
+1. On a domestic flight, I don't care about anything but the seat.

While I'm sure I've just been lucky, the times I've flown solo in domestic EU coach (LH and OS for example), the middle seat has always been empty, making it exactly the same as if I'd purchased a business class seat anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
not sure what your point is. Status does not get one access, except *G which gets access in association with int'l flights.

The sheer number of F seats is the problem. UA also sells memberships that a lot of flyers have. Add credit card passes and there's no room for domestic F.
If you have a practice of filling F with elites rather than flying with a half-empty F - which at least until very recently seems to have been policy with the U.S. airlines - then this affects the numbers of F passengers. It's not just available F seats that matter but load factor, too.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If you have a practice of filling F with elites rather than flying with a half-empty F - which at least until very recently seems to have been policy with the U.S. airlines - then this affects the numbers of F passengers. It's not just available F seats that matter but load factor, too.
Not sure what your point is. The fact is, UA flies with full F cabins, and has for years, so the loads are virtually 100%. Let's not talk hypotheticals. The reality is the cabins are full - don't care who is in there or why. Letting domestic F passengers (paid, ToDs, CPUs, instruments, whatever) would swamp the lounges.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Not sure what your point is. The fact is, UA flies with full F cabins, and has for years, so the loads are virtually 100%. Let's not talk hypotheticals. The reality is the cabins are full - don't care who is in there or why. Letting domestic F passengers (paid, ToDs, CPUs, instruments, whatever) would swamp the lounges.
F cabins have indeed been full on UA flights for years. I would guess that many of those flying in F be it as you say, paid, ToD's, CPU's, or instruments are for the most part already HVC's (not all) that I would suspect already have lounge access. How many 1K, GS, Plat. or even Gold flyers do you know that don't have UC access from either joining or some kind of perk/credit card membership. Yes it would increase the number to be sure but "swamp", I think not.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:46 pm

I highly doubt that if *only* paid F pax had access it would swamp the lounges. And I don't think F would have been at 'virtually 100% load' with just those pax who paid out of pocket.

The point is that UA's domestic F product isn't exclusive enough to warrant lounge access.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
to me Domestic "F" is a misnomer, its should be called something different. Their "real F class for international operations is actually First Class. Then they have this other category for North American flights in the front cabin, they call that Business Class and in my experience they can access the United Club lounge..
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:01 pm

As with most bad things in America, blame the government for starting it.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....rope-and-asia/
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:41 pm

I've often wondered this same thing and I blame the agreement between Chase and UA (whatever it may be). I figure they're both making a hefty amount off the annual fee's and allowing basically anyone in so as long as they have the right credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.