Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Explorer789
the dress code policy is unnecessarily more restrictive than what the dress code for a public pax is.
We are going to drift into territory what companies define as dress code is 'necessary' or not. The company I work for has a strict rule that no tattoos anywhere on skin can be shown by any employee in customer-facing environment. In tattoo industry I assume opposite is true. So are we going to discuss which one is right?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by rjque
It wouldn't be such a problem for a business with an existing reputation for a high level of customer service. United is not that.
+1. After the world beating CS of the last 5 years, United is getting exactly zero slack from the media. At some point they probably had to fly United.

I came to see the reaction here after seeing this on the Washington Post.

Originally Posted by Oformula
As much as people love to hate on airlines, United's response was terrible. Rather than accurately identify and explain the issue, they issued multiple inconsistent reasons as to why the pax was denied.
And they managed to make it sound like all of those lies we get at the gate about why our plane is late. Just inept.

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
As someone who flies in J frequently but dresses terribly, if I overheard GAs criticizing someone's non-offensive/non-lewd clothing, I'd probably avoid UA.

I'm not sure I understand the hostility against the pax either. A 10 year old didn't know the esoteric rules about a dress code when flying on mommy/daddy's benefits? I promise you the average 40 year old can't tell you what non-rev means, let alone about what is OK under UA's dress code for non-rev.

I'd file this one under "how to needlessly turn something mundane into a PR fail" for UA's role.
My wife hates SQ... back when she worked for Levis she she flew SQ in J from a meeting in Tokyo to one in Singapore. They gave her a hard time about her torn jeans and top. She had the corporate counsel of Levis write them a nasty gram, and other than three times at my doing, has never flown them again.

Absent a safety issue (which is what the COC references) it is not the airlines business what people ware.

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
I have several reactions to this:

1) the dress code, even for non revs, is a bit nuts for a 10 yr old girl. UA should update.
2) UA Twitter account handling of this has been a disaster.
Agree on both points.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That may be true in certain situations, but is apparently not the image United wants to represent them.
If United is concerned about "image" there are a lot of places more pressing to start than what a 10 year old girl wears.

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I have to agree that the social media team could have done a better job with their initial replies, but not sure it how they would have known the non-rev side angle of the story from their end. They were getting hit hard by Shannon Watts in the beginning and staying silent would have resulted in the same level of "outrage" on her tweeting end.
Easy, just say:

"Ms. Watt. We have not heard from the involved passengers. We will obviously investigate to learn what, if anything, may have happened, and appreciate your bringing this to our attention."

And I'll even waive my usual $925/hr fee.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by homanga
Found this on my twitter feed figured there would be a thread 6 pages long by now. Seems to be a reasonable amount of twitter activity regarding this and @united involved as well

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...92819894321153

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...92819894321153

Surely not going to end well if media coverage picks up significantly on this. Could have played it as rogue gate agent but now with twitter handle defending etc makes it much harder to restep.

cliff notes
Gate agent at DEN requiring women wearing leggings to change/cover up or not board aircraft. People tweet at united regarding this. @united defends gate agent quoting COC rules.

triple edit just saw below tweets hours after initial story. Still a little crazy but less of a story for sure
-----------------

Shannon Watts has started an unnecessary firestorm - She was an observer/buttinsky who overheard the issue from the next gate !! How do people get the gall to start this media-riot over something they know nothing about ?....and then the NYTimes leaves out the most critical item to the story (non-rev travel dress code was violated). At least get all the facts about why before you plaster it all over the world.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Brierley
Couldn't agree more - except that UA doesn't really care about it's customers - only the appearance that is does...
In this case there was no customer, however. The only customer involved was the rather nosy person who began the tirade on Twitter on her own volition.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Buy a ticket and wear what you want. It seems reasonable to me that United can set the rules for people riding on buddy passes or nonrev. This is not new.
Agreed. If you want to wear something else, buy a ticket. Kudos to United for apparently sticking to their guns in the face of the daily outrage crowd.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

I'm for United on this one, despite me normally being the first one in line to bash United.

Yes, the media will mis-report this one and crucify United. BUT, having flown as a non-rev many times, I was always made aware of the rules. "Business casual" is how the dress code was always explained to me, so I always wore khakis or business pants, a collar shirt, and a sport coat.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----------------

Shannon Watts has started an unnecessary firestorm - She was an observer/buttinsky who overheard the issue from the next gate !! How do people get the gall to start this media-riot over something they know nothing about ?....and then the NYTimes leaves out the most critical item to the story (non-rev travel dress code was violated). At least get all the facts about why before you plaster it all over the world.
Here's your answer.

https://medium.com/@shannonwatts/leg...fce#.paa7suwbv

She is just using this situation to further her own agenda. By now she is no doubt aware of the non-rev angle to this story yet refuses to address it in her "take". Sad, but that is what the internet has become. When you look at the totality of the internet, there are really very few "useful" websites. Thankfully FT is one of them
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
UA: Your Leggings Are Welcome

https://hub.united.com/our-customers...331263786.html

"Let us take a moment to explain today's news:

We care about the way we present ourselves to you, our customers, as we believe that is part of the experience on board our flights. One of the benefits of working for an airline is that our employees are able to travel the world. Even better, they can extend this privilege to a select number of what we call "pass riders." These are relatives or friends who also receive the benefit of free or heavily discounted air travel – on our airline as well as on airlines around the world where we have mutual agreements in place for employees and pass riders.

When taking advantage of this benefit, all employees and pass riders are considered representatives of United. And like most companies, we have a dress code that we ask employees and pass riders to follow. The passengers this morning were United pass riders and not in compliance with our dress code for company benefit travel. We regularly remind our employees that when they place a family member or friend on a flight for free as a standby passenger, they need to follow our dress code.

To our regular customers, your leggings are welcome."
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:53 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Sadly, UA's latest response didn't begin to go far enough. Due to much inaccurate reporting and relying on Shannon Watts, who got the situation wrong in the first place, there are now many people believing UA exhibited sexist behavior in "forcing" a 10-year-old girl to change or not fly while her adult father was fine in shorts. These two were paying passengers who appear to be unrelated to the two nonrev women and caught up in a misunderstanding.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----------------

+1

I agree, these overboard activists should keep their heads out of others situations. But then again, they're born as activists so they'll forever be loudmouths.

Watts didn't seem to understand much of the situation except that there was a girl who was being asked to change. She didn't know that the girl was a non-rev, nor did she know the posted rules for non-revs.

In addition, the family was probably very compliant, but now that Watts started this storm, the family will most likely receive some type of punishment for the damage that Watts has done on social media.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think the question of whether the dress code is out of date is totally irrelevant. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

But the dress code is part of the policy passriders are bound to, so if they don't like it they can fly as revenue pax. That United even has to defend itself in "social media" is just an illustration of how ridiculous the twitter crusaders are,
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
If United is concerned about "image" there are a lot of places more pressing to start than what a 10 year old girl wears.
+1

UA is properly getting killed on this.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
We are going to drift into territory what companies define as dress code is 'necessary' or not. The company I work for has a strict rule that no tattoos anywhere on skin can be shown by any employee in customer-facing environment. In tattoo industry I assume opposite is true. So are we going to discuss which one is right?
Fair enough, but this wasn't an employee on the job that violated the rules. It was some non-revs, let alone a 10 year old. Which brings me back to the point before, I'm failing to see how United is trying to preserve its brand image when the public doesn't know who the non-revs are on each flight. So why are they being subject to rules that are more strict than a regular pax? The rules of about clean appearance with lack of derogatory and overly provocative clothing is standard for everyone. I fail to see how leggings are worse than tight jeans.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'm not sure what industry you work in - but as the leader of a company I can tell you that reality is irrelevant - how you deal with a situation - real or not - is everything - UA missed the boat on this one -we can all pretend that UA was theoretically right - but in reality they blew it - badly....
No doubt, they blew it. But hopefully they have learned a valuable lesson and can build on it for the future. Some here have pointed out good recommendations on how they would have dealt with the situation & if I was United I would definitely perform an after action review on this situation to learn from it.

The United social media team needs to understand that they won't always be answering to Kettle's on Twitter. While this women was not a "celebrity" in the truest sense of the word, her twitter account show definite PR savy and possible "weight" in the media/activist world. A more measured approach when dealing with her would have probably had a better outcome. Possibly kicking it up to a higher level within their org chart to deal with it. Or maybe I am giving UA to much credit to think they have system like this in place
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Forgetting for a moment that these were minor children - how exactly is the flying public able to ascertain that these particular people are flying as pass riders? And lets just remember - UA hides these facts from the general flying public - so where is the "issue" to UA publicly - and where is the "damage" ???????
What does it matter their age. "Business casual" attire exists for nearly all ages. Heck, had they been wearing jeans this wouldn't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.