Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
------
Delta has thrown a low-blow to UA here. Why don't I (ignorantly) just assume that they are now allowing their own employees in tight, revealing, spandex leggings or tights.....ballet tights for men ? - now that would be a sight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
MSPeconomist "I don't see how one can claim that the UA policy is sexist."

Shannon Watts can as she is the founder of, "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America."

Shannon Watts is a 44-year-old mother of five children. Ms. Watts was not an activist or involved in gun issues prior to the shootings at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14, 2012. The day after the tragedy, she started a Facebook page for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. That online conversation turned into an offline grassroots movement of American mothers fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and protect people from gun violence. Moms Demand Action has established a chapter in every state of the country and is part of "Everytown for Gun Safety", the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 2.5 million members.
--------------

You would then think she would not be such an over-reactive person. Talk about shooting first, and (NOT) asking questions later. She caused the storm and now is getting whatever is (negatively) flying in her direction. Oh well, Shannon, you should have gotten facts or asked questions first before you hastily posted on Twitter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:20 pm Reason: OMNI, OT content deleted
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
The general public regardless of these girls dress like slobs when flying in my opinion. No spandex pants no sweat pants no short shorts no blouses cut down to your belly button no flip flops or cut up jeans and yes Id like to go back to what we'd call biz casual for all like your Sunday best cloths. I know others won't agree.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Rules are Rules - you knew the rules, you broke them, Maholo.....
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gizzabreak
Without wishing to extend the life of this apparent "non story" too much, perhaps United could consider permanently canceling the non-rev privileges of the person who facilitated the non-rev travel of the girl/s in question. Probably seems a bit harsh but would ensure those with transferable non-rev privileges valued them a little more and spare us all from one small area of media sensationalism.

As for the dress code concept, absolutely. Airlines should do everything within their power to ensure that non-revs are as "neutral" as possible "on" the revenue paying passengers who, ultimately, make non-rev privileges possible.

Pity they don't extend their mild dress code to revenue fares also.
She wasn't the one that caused the trouble, there shouldn't be punishment.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by VIB
All this social justice activist did was get a United employee in trouble. And I mean the parent of the children, not the gate agent.
----
Agree but honestly, I hope the person that sponsored these people does not get in trouble. It is quite possible that these non-rev travelers were told how to dress and conduct themselves for non-rev flying in advance and just ignored that....They may have just made an assumption that it did not apply to them or no one would really notice (I've seen that too with gate agents - much too busy to notice).
As I posted previously, this actually happened to me with a relative (not an immediate eligible family member) but thankfully I was working and at the airport on the day of travel. I DID TELL HIM IN ADVANCE ALL OF THE RULES AND DRESS CODE and he showed up looking like two cents worth of nothing, ended up buying a new shirt at the airport and did travel FOR THE LAST TIME ON MY PASSES. Needless to say, I immediately removed him from my list as a pass-rider. I hate buddy passes; no longer give them out.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Delta has thrown a low-blow to UA here. Why don't I (ignorantly) just assume that they are now allowing their own employees in tight, revealing, spandex leggings or tights.....ballet tights for men ? - now that would be a sight.
Well, see for yourself:

Easy to understand and still maintains a baseline of "decent dress" as far as I'm concerned. If you don't draw attention to yourself in a bad way ("just got out of bed" look, showing too much, etc), you're cleared to fly non-rev. That's reasonable. The average paying passenger wouldn't even know a given passenger was traveling non-rev, let alone assume that they're "representing the airline"; as far as I'm concerned they only draw attention to that fact by shaming passengers like this. If they hadn't, then this media blow-up wouldn't have happened. And heaven knows I'll catch some flak for this opinion, but I agree with a comment made way back near the beginning:

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think it's an arcane holdover, like the electronic-devices-after-takeoff situation which mysteriously became safe overnight.

Last edited by jamar; Mar 28, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:19 am
VIB

Originally Posted by HHQX888
This was two kids 10 and 11 years old in leggins, and father in shorts !!! entered cabin w/o any problems.
All explenations from UA are ridiculous and sexist.
Wait. I guess I missed this part of the story. You mean to say the father, dressed in shorts, boarded the flight and abandoned his children? Incredible.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Yet another instance of Twitter giving an ill-informed idiot a chance to spout off about something they know nothing about.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
I have a simple solution -- UA could solve the problem by denying passes to anyone except employees flying in uniform.

People who are benefiting from a company's optional policy should keep their mouth shut about complaining about the policy.
The complaint that gave this story legs was from a person traveling on a regular paid ticket.

Just because a person benefits from a company's "optional" policy doesn't strip the person of the ability or even responsibility to complain about company policies that may deserve scrutiny.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000.

And note for the record, that h3ll has frozen over, since is the first time I've ever agreed with fly18725.
I actually think it's the second time we've agreed
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
LOL...I've now heard about this story on talk radio (lighthearted sports/culture show, not usually political), at the office from coworkers yapping about it, and online in 3-4 places. The entire story has pushed April the Giraffe to the back burner.

75% of the talk is about how United hates leggings, people, puppies, rainbows, and fun. (The talk radio segment in particular devolved into the 50 ways United sucks in general.)
24% of the talk is about whether leggings are stupid in general. (Should you be required to surrender all leggings to the proper authorities after you turn 17?)
1% of the talk (if that) is about this arcane topic regarding employee dress codes.

I still let my kids wear leggings - I really don't get this issue at all.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just because a person benefits from a company's "optional" policy doesn't strip the person of the ability or even responsibility to complain about company policies that may deserve scrutiny.
Indeed, it is everyone's responsibility to be on the lookout for odious company policies, that left unchecked, will prompt the demise of western civilization as we know it. Especially company dress codes.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by VIB
Wait. I guess I missed this part of the story. You mean to say the father, dressed in shorts, boarded the flight and abandoned his children? Incredible.
No. That is false.

The pass flyers waited for another flight, and the parent of the younger child -- the one on a revenue ticket, and whose conversation was overheard -- had the child change even though it wasn't required. That family boarded without incident.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So United quoted their contract of carriage in response to this story - mainly an agreement between the airline and people who *aren't* an employee of the airline. The reference to CoC makes me wonder: has this stupid double-standard-based-on-fare-type thing ever affected an award or voucher user who is not an employee of the airline?

In other words, if the kid in leggings wasn't on a revenue ticket, but was on either an award or some kind of VDB voucher, would the GA have actually prevented her from boarding?

I don't think I've ever personally pushed the envelope of an airline dress code (don't have my 1980s basketball shorts anymore...), but is it something to consider when I redeem awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.