Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress Pre check number to a UA ticket

Old Oct 13, 19, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress numbers

To your account profile or other travel profiles in your account:
  1. Go to your UA MP Account Profile on united.com
  2. Select Personal Information
  3. Select Travel identification documents

To your ticket:
  1. Go to Reservations on united.com
  2. Go to Change or view reservations
  3. Select Manage Trip for the appropriate ticket
  4. Find "Known traveler number/Redress" and select Edit
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 16, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Hello, my husband and I just received our KTN for Global Entry. I called United to have them update our accounts with our KTN and I also went into our upcoming reservations and edited traveler information to include the KTN number. The reservations were made on my husband's mileage account for the both of us. When I look at the reservations on the website, they show my husband's KTN number but mine does not show up. See Below. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Mr. PAXNAME1

Date of Birth: March 19, ****
Known Traveler Number/PASS ID: 988******

Seat Assignments: SFO - LHR: 34C
CPH - SFO: 53D

View/Change Seat
Edit traveler information
Add Pet(s)
Separate Traveler(s)

Ms. PAXNAME2

Seat Assignments: SFO - LHR: 34B
CPH - SFO: ---

Last edited by goalie; Jun 17, 16 at 10:27 am Reason: removed personal information
Old Jun 17, 16, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Go back in and add it. It should be there.

I would also suggest to book aisle window on your flight, as that is a long flight to be forced to sit in the middle.
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Go back in and add it. It should be there.

I would also suggest to book aisle window on your flight, as that is a long flight to be forced to sit in the middle.
I agree to go back and add it/re-add it to the reservation under the "edit traveler information" section of the reservation but also make sure that your KTN is included in your MP profile as it should then auto-populate for future reservations
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
I agree to go back and add it/re-add it to the reservation under the "edit traveler information" section of the reservation but also make sure that your KTN is included in your MP profile as it should then auto-populate for future reservations
Well, that's sometimes tough - because they may always book in the husband's MP. And I find my wife's name looks different in my account versus hers..
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:53 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is key. Don't rely on typing it in for each reservation because you may forget. Best practice is to store it in your passenger profile.
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:58 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Well, that's sometimes tough - because they may always book in the husband's MP. And I find my wife's name looks different in my account versus hers..
There are two different things here:

(1) Each person can log into his/her own MP account and edit his/her own passenger profile.

(2) Each person can also create passenger profiles for other people within his/her own account. So my wife can log into her MP account and create a profile for me when we book with her account. I can also log into my MP account and create a profile for her when we book with my account.

See: Log In > View Account > Manage Profile > View All Travelers. This link might work:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...velerList.aspx

The information in my personal account and my profile may not match what she enters for my profile using her account.

If there's a discrepancy, it may not matter. If you're worried that it looks different, it's very easy to update information for other passengers. Updating your own information might require a call to United depending on the issue.
Old Jun 17, 16, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is also a good opportunity for OP and her husband to each verify that the names in their profiles, the names on their passports and the names associated with their KTNs are exactly the same. No extraneous punctuation, spaces or anything of the like.

Anecdotally, 100% or close to that Pre-Check seems to be associated with that match. It only needs to be done once.
Old Jun 17, 16, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Scottrick View Post
This is key. Don't rely on typing it in for each reservation because you may forget. Best practice is to store it in your passenger profile.
Not sure if it's still the case but when the KTN option was first offered (for lack of a better expression) by United, if one had existing reservations prior to inputting their KTN into their profile, it wouldn't populate into the existing reservations and you had to manually add it to each existing reservation. Not sure what the situation is now but that's what I was alluding to
Old Jun 17, 16, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to recheck everything and then call United again.
Old Jun 17, 16, 6:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by skiladyldp View Post
Hello, my husband and I just received our KTN for Global Entry. I called United to have them update our accounts with our KTN and I also went into our upcoming reservations and edited traveler information to include the KTN number. The reservations were made on my husband's mileage account for the both of us. When I look at the reservations on the website, they show my husband's KTN number but mine does not show up. See Below. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Mr. PAXNAME1

Date of Birth: March 19, ****
Known Traveler Number/PASS ID: 988******

Seat Assignments: SFO - LHR: 34C
CPH - SFO: 53D

View/Change Seat
Edit traveler information
Add Pet(s)
Separate Traveler(s)

Ms. PAXNAME2

Seat Assignments: SFO - LHR: 34B
CPH - SFO: ---
It's normal. KTNs only show up for the traveler on a PNR with multiple travlers whose account is logged in. If you log into your account and look at the same PNR, you'll see your KTN, and not your husband's.
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Can't get KTN added to my boarding pass

I recently got TSA precheck and am going on a business trip tomorrow, flying HPN to ORD. I cannot get United to print my KTN on my boarding pass. (Yes, I know, it's probably a non-issue for HPN, but it certainly will be for ORD!) I've called three times, been on hold for a total of 90 minutes, every agent says it's in my account and they keep sending me new boarding passes, but it still doesn't appear. I thought I would come to FT to see what I'm missing here.

I did confirm that HPN actually *has* precheck as that certainly could have been a reason. I do know that I can't get my KTN to "stick" in my United profile, it keeps disappearing, but United claims they have it. TSA says there is zero chance that I would be randomly selected *not* to have precheck right after I got the number, and they did open a "case" for it, but I wanted to check in (no pun intended!) here as well!

Any thoughts or advice anyone? Thank you!

Edit: It appears I wasn't clear above. What is happening is that the fact that I have TSA precheck is not on the pass. Doesn't matter to me whether the actual number is there or not, of course!

Last edited by onetess; Jul 5, 16 at 3:59 pm
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
When did you add your KTN to your profile in relation to your trip tomorrow? If added too late, it won't appear on your boarding pass regardless. I added mine ~2 days prior to checking in for a flight when I got mine, and it didn't appear until my next flight out with UA, which was approximately a week later.
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Is your name spelled exactly the same way on your reservation as it is in your Precheck/Global Entry application?

It is also not true that the chance is *zero* for it not working, but it is very rare for it to randomly not work.
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by onetess View Post
...I cannot get United to print my KTN on my boarding pass....
KTNs are not printed on boarding passes. Quit calling. If 3 UA agents say they have it, they have it.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 5, 16 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you asking for PreCheck to show on your BP? Your actual KTN will never be on your BP.

Search this Thread