Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress Pre check number to a UA ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress numbers

To your account profile or other travel profiles in your account:
  1. Go to your UA MP Account Profile on united.com
  2. Select Personal Information
  3. Select Travel identification documents

To your ticket:
  1. Go to Reservations on united.com
  2. Go to Change or view reservations
  3. Select Manage Trip for the appropriate ticket
  4. Find "Known traveler number/Redress" and select Edit
Print Wikipost

Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress Pre check number to a UA ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Checked in on Saturday for my Sunday flight. Asked to reverify my KTN. It looked okay, so I clicked Continue. Then I got the "You didn't receive Pre-Check" message. I checked my KTN again, and the last two digits were missing. Once I fixed that, I got Pre-Check. I think it actually is a Concur issue (for me, at least).

Edited to add: I also had to add a documentation type (I selected Driver's License).

Last edited by pseudoswede; Dec 6, 2022 at 8:31 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Checked in on Saturday for my Sunday flight. Asked to reverify my KTN. It looked okay, so I clicked Continue. Then I got the "You didn't receive Pre-Check" message. I checked my KTN again, and the last two digits were missing. Once I fixed that, I got Pre-Check. I think it actually is a Concur issue (for me, at least).

Edited to add: I also had to add a documentation type (I selected Driver's License).
Same thing happened for my flight tomorrow morning, except the KTN was correct. I had to add Driver's License to documentation type, and it still says I don't have Pre-Check. I sent a DM to TSA via Twitter to investigate.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm encountering the same issue with last two digits of KTN missing, but only using website.

I have a new reservation (not checking in yet) and went to add KTN to it. I typed in the whole KTN, and after the prompt closed again, it showed with last two digits missing. I tried re-entering it, but last two digits won't stick. Hope they can fix this soon.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by fumje
I have a new reservation (not checking in yet) and went to add KTN to it. I typed in the whole KTN, and after the prompt closed again, it showed with last two digits missing. I tried re-entering it, but last two digits won't stick. Hope they can fix this soon.
Same here. Called in - they placed me on hold for 10 minutes to update it and said its done - i refreshed the booking on the web page - last 2 digits truncated. Mobile app yields the same result.
I had attempted chatting to fix this on a prior booking 3 weeks ago - they said it went through - but at check-in my BP did not have TSA Pre.

So, this issue has been around since at least Thanksgiving. AFAICT, mobile/web/chat/calls all hit one reservation system which seems to be broken.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Same here. Called in - they placed me on hold for 10 minutes to update it and said its done - i refreshed the booking on the web page - last 2 digits truncated. Mobile app yields the same result.
I had attempted chatting to fix this on a prior booking 3 weeks ago - they said it went through - but at check-in my BP did not have TSA Pre.

So, this issue has been around since at least Thanksgiving. AFAICT, mobile/web/chat/calls all hit one reservation system which seems to be broken.
New bookings still take KTN properly, but already-made bookings can't apparently have it added correctly.

So for now be sure your KTN is available at booking time to whoever is doing the booking. That — or an airport agent — seems to be the only way to make sure it's correctly added.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by legionnaire
AFAICT, mobile/web/chat/calls all hit one reservation system which seems to be broken.
I pulled up two existing bookings on the mobile app.
Clicked through to Edit Traveler information.
I Noticed the KTN was truncated and the redress number had the full KTN.
I cleared out the Redress number, updated the full KTN in the KTN field
Saved the changes. Killed/Restarted the app. pulled up each reservation on the mobile app and verified the KTN shows correctly. Verified pulling bookings up on a web browser also shows full, correct KTN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same thing happened for my flight tomorrow morning, except the KTN was correct. I had to add Driver's License to documentation type, and it still says I don't have Pre-Check. I sent a DM to TSA via Twitter to investigate.
Naturally, TSA replied to my DM the day after my flight.

Originally Posted by TSA
Thanks for contacting us. According to our research and the information you provided, you didn't receive TSA PreCheck® consideration because your reservation included the incorrect known traveler number. Although we can't disclose what is submitted on your reservation, the KTN included with your reservation closely resembles the KTN you provided for our research. Most often, there is a data-entry error at the time of booking the reservation, such as transposing or missing characters.
No idea how to fix this when it looks correct in the reservation and in my profile on UA's website.

Regardless, SDF was very empty at 9am on a Wednesday, so getting through the ID check or security didn't take very long at all (though it was annoying to take my laptop, tablet, and portable monitor out--and I had to be reminded to take off my shoes).
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Naturally, TSA replied to my DM the day after my flight.
I tweeted them yesterday morning and they replied and said they would look into it. Upon landing in DEN around 6:30pm, I still hadn't heard from them...

No idea how to fix this when it looks correct in the reservation and in my profile on UA's website.

Regardless, SDF was very empty at 9am on a Wednesday, so getting through the ID check or security didn't take very long at all (though it was annoying to take my laptop, tablet, and portable monitor out--and I had to be reminded to take off my shoes).
The ticket counter might be worth trying. I didn't receive PreCheck on my DEN-MCI service last night and discovered it was because my middle name got removed for some strange reason. I tried deleting re-adding my NEXUS KTN several times on the app to no avail. Once the agent re-added my middle name, it immediately printed out with PreCheck and my Passbook BP refreshed with it as well.
pseudoswede and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:56 am

Fly UA, post miles to a different airline

I am UA Gold. My wife is UA Silver. Figured I'd get her some M&S miles while accompanying me on the flight, but her TSA information does not post to the reservation, thereby taking her Pre-Check privilege away. Is there anyway to do this, or must I have her miles post to her UA account to retain pre-check?

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by theebigjuan
I am UA Gold. My wife is UA Silver. Figured I'd get her some M&S miles while accompanying me on the flight, but her TSA information does not post to the reservation, thereby taking her Pre-Check privilege away. Is there anyway to do this, or must I have her miles post to her UA account to retain pre-check?

Thanks
TSA Pre is not tied to an specific airline. You can use on any airlines participating in the program.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you don't use her UA profile, you'll have to separately enter KTN (known traveller number) on the reservation. Otherwise the airline has no way of knowing her KTN.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
TSA Pre is not tied to an specific airline. You can use on any airlines participating in the program.
Just make sure your KTN is in the record.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:47 am

True, but the TSA number is tied to the profile on the airline, so even though I choose the existing traveler using the drop down selection when adding travelers, once I change the frequent flyer number to anything but UA, it removes the TSA information. It cannot be adjusted during the reservation process. I updated manually each flight reservation with her Pre-Check information. Hopefully that sticks, as this is the second time I've done so.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
True, but the TSA number is tied to the profile on the airline, so even though I choose the existing traveler using the drop down selection when adding travelers, once I change the frequent flyer number to anything but UA, it removes the TSA information. It cannot be adjusted during the reservation process. I updated manually each flight reservation with her Pre-Check information. Hopefully that sticks, as this is the second time I've done so.
That may be the functionality of the UA site, but yes, re-adding it should do the trick. You can verify upon check-in at T-24. You can even get airport agents to fix last minute.

I have done 3 or 4 different airlines in the same day on separate tickets all with TSA Pre. As long as it is in record, that is what counts. How you credit the flight has no impact.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have done 3 or 4 different airlines in the same day on separate tickets all with TSA Pre. As long as it is in record, that is what counts. How you credit the flight has no impact.
Yep. I book awards via various different programs, and do this all the time. As you note, it can be done at check-in or by an agent at the airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.