Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress Pre check number to a UA ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress numbers

To your account profile or other travel profiles in your account:
  1. Go to your UA MP Account Profile on united.com
  2. Select Personal Information
  3. Select Travel identification documents

To your ticket:
  1. Go to Reservations on united.com
  2. Go to Change or view reservations
  3. Select Manage Trip for the appropriate ticket
  4. Find "Known traveler number/Redress" and select Edit
Print Wikipost

Adding a TSA / KTN / Redress Pre check number to a UA ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite
Adding a TSA / KTN Pre check number

Does any one know how to add your TSA Pre check number thru the website?

Thanks..!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can add any KTN to your UA profile and it will be applied to all future bookings and may be applied to existing bookings. If you have just received a KTN and have existing bookings, it is best to go into each booking and add it. You will see a field for a KTN next to the Redress #. Be certain to leave the Redress # blank.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
- united.com and login
- View Account (top right of page)
- on the bottom of the page under Profile: Edit Traveler Information
- click the plus sign in front of Known Traveler Number/Pass ID: enter your number
- click Continue on bottom of page

"If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in any of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry™, NEXUS or SENTRI), please provide your Known Traveler Number or Pass ID. (You are not required to enter one of these numbers.) "
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If its for a current reservation, I believe you do it from the "edit traveler information" link.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:56 pm

Occasionally it does not "stick" even if added to reservation (especially if this is a 3rd party ticket with UA segments) - then your only option is to call.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:09 am

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but it seemed preferable to starting a new one.

A family member is enrolled in Global Entry and has their KTN entered in their UA profile. They are flying with a group on UA with a UA ticket and part of their itinerary has individual PNRs, but part is under a group reservation. The initial boarding pass for the individual leg did not have Pre-Check indicated, but when checking in to print luggage tags, it was entered into the kiosk during the transaction and the revised boarding pass did have Pre-Check indicated.

First-world problem, for sure, but why wasn't the KTN incorporated when the PNR was attached to this person's UA profile? Just wondering for future reference.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but it seemed preferable to starting a new one.

A family member is enrolled in Global Entry and has their KTN entered in their UA profile. They are flying with a group on UA with a UA ticket and part of their itinerary has individual PNRs, but part is under a group reservation. The initial boarding pass for the individual leg did not have Pre-Check indicated, but when checking in to print luggage tags, it was entered into the kiosk during the transaction and the revised boarding pass did have Pre-Check indicated.

First-world problem, for sure, but why wasn't the KTN incorporated when the PNR was attached to this person's UA profile? Just wondering for future reference.
Was it booked with UA or a travel agent?
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a question better asked of the group organizer. Did your family member provide their KTN to the group organizer?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Was it booked with UA or a travel agent?
No idea. I'm guessing the former.

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a question better asked of the group organizer. Did your family member provide their KTN to the group organizer?
No we did not. To be direct, if they had asked, I probably would have considered it as something not to be given, maybe a little like a social security number, probably because I was assuming that once the PNR was "claimed" by a UA profile with the KTN, all would proceed as when I purchase a ticket directly (Pre-Check would be indicated).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
probably because I was assuming that once the PNR was "claimed" by a UA profile with the KTN, all would proceed as when I purchase a ticket directly (Pre-Check would be indicated).
It doesn't work like that; the KTN is part of the PNR and is not changed when you add the PNR to your list of trips (or add your FF account).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MM
No idea. I'm guessing the former.

No we did not. To be direct, if they had asked, I probably would have considered it as something not to be given, maybe a little like a social security number, probably because I was assuming that once the PNR was "claimed" by a UA profile with the KTN, all would proceed as when I purchase a ticket directly (Pre-Check would be indicated).
I don't think it works like that for Mileage Plus numbers, either. United doesn't just throw a number in there by some kind of name matching (which could go wrong).

edit: To hopefully make a clearer answer, I don't think United ever "claims" a profile. It has a profile by the passenger providing a Mileage Plus number (often through being logged into their Mileage Plus account).

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jun 26, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
First time for me.

I'm flying on an award ticket tomrw fully booked through United. Went to check-in today and noticed something odd during OLCI...a link that said "Add TSA PreCheck". Huh? So I clicked on it and added my KTN (which is absolutely tied to my UA profile) and the option went away and my BPs had PreCheck. I'm assuming if I hadn't noticed this that my BPs would not have PreCheck. No clue how this reservation is missing my KTN as I've had it for years and I just returned from another award ticket a few days ago that had no issues.

One off or is something broken?

-RM
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
First time for me.

I'm flying on an award ticket tomrw fully booked through United. Went to check-in today and noticed something odd during OLCI...a link that said "Add TSA PreCheck". Huh? So I clicked on it and added my KTN (which is absolutely tied to my UA profile) and the option went away and my BPs had PreCheck. I'm assuming if I hadn't noticed this that my BPs would not have PreCheck. No clue how this reservation is missing my KTN as I've had it for years and I just returned from another award ticket a few days ago that had no issues.

-RM
Could be another IT gremlin. I went to book a ticket last night for the upcoming Captain Denny lunch at ORD and my KTN (Nexus) was missing from the passenger selection page. I clicked through from Google Flights and was signed in, though this is the first time it's happened. Refreshed the page and my KTN reappeared.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
First time for me.

-RM
I got that and decided to try skipping it, as I knew I had added KTN to the reservation previously. I still had precheck on the BP. I think it's just a confusing 'enhancement' to the check-in flow, giving you another chance to add it. But if they would include some indication that you've added it already, it would make much more sense.

(I think I posted about this already, but it must have been a different thread.)
RobOnLI and nexus7556 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checkin KTN prompt was useful

I had a bizarre experience in which the new prompt was quite useful.

Went to check in with app for an itinerary with a couple of connections. Got through to the last screen, and while 'please wait'-ing, app crashed. Opened app again, did the view boarding pass option, and there was the dreaded 'you did not receive pre-' message. But when I looked at the BPs, it was only the first one without, and the other two had it. Of course the first one is the one that matters.

So I tried the add KTN prompt in the check-in flow, and that managed to flip pre back on for my first BP. I think if I had tried undo check in and redo, it might have worked too, but this was much easier.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.