FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   She stole my amenity kit! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1831403-she-stole-my-amenity-kit.html)

jaa6921 Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

She stole my amenity kit!

I recently flew BF from EWR to HKG. As we took off my amenity kit fell on the floor and sild down the aisle by about one row.

As soon as the chime went off, a passenger in the row behind swiftly jumped up, scooped up my kit, clicked open the overhead bin and pushed the kit into her bag! Lol. Slick and well practiced it seemed

When the FA came by i made a point to ask clearly if she had a spare kit since mine had gone "missing". The FA said they had all been given out. The thief said nothing!

So beware of ammenity kit collectors.

Funny i guess.

HoyaSFOIAD Mar 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Suppose you could wait until she put the seat down to go to sleep and swipe her pillow.

txaggiemiles Mar 23, 2017 5:51 pm

With a passenger like that be sure to guard your apple juice

JVPhoto Mar 23, 2017 5:59 pm

This pax was also in J or it went back to the first row of Y??

MatthewLAX Mar 23, 2017 6:00 pm

I would have walked up to her overhead bin, retrieved in front of her, and gave her a glare...

narvik Mar 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 28078563)
I would have walked up to her overhead bin, retrieved in front of her, and gave her a glare...

Well, she apparently put it in her bag, according to OP. That makes the retrieval a bit more difficult. :)
If this was all observed so detailed though, I don't think it inappropriate to confront the poacher.

FlytheTail Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm

If I saw it happen, I would have simply asked for my amenity kit back.

Funny how many people don't anticipate (de-)acceleration at take off or landing. Stuff seems to go flying on almost every flight I'm on.

oopl Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm

This should have been something you resolve on the spot. What's the point of posting about it now?

BadgerBoi Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 28078739)
This should have been something you resolve on the spot. What's the point of posting about it now?

um, because it makes an amusing thread...

porciuscato Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 28078739)

I think it's a useful service and heads-up to post about it, so the rest of us won't be caught off guard if it happens to us.

If it weren't for such posts, I would not have known about seat-poaching and been prepared for it when it happened to me.

ExecutiveClubConcorde Mar 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Wow! That takes a lot of cheek, even when confronted by your mentioning your missing kit, still to stay silent.

Why didn't you confront her over it though?

goalie Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Something similar happened to me about a year and a half ago (tho I got it back)

I travel with one of the old legacy PMUA bluish zippered kits as it's a perfect container for some of my personal electronic sundries like charging cords, phone headset and etc and as I got to my seat (f on a two class '67), I put my kit on my seat along with a bag of Tootsie Pops for the crew, stowed my bag in the overhead bin, took the bag of Tootise Pops up to the forward galley to give to the crew and when I returned, my kit was missing.

Figuring I dropped it on the floor, I bent over and began to look under my seat and but to no avail. Also figuring I had a senior moment and forgot to take it out of my carry on bag, I took down my bag and looked but a no go.

I looked again under the seat but couldn't find it so I asked my seat mate (who was seated when I got to my seat) if he had seen it and he said no.

One last thought was that I actually carried it with me along with the bag of Tootsie Pops to the forward galley and left it there by mistake so up I went to the forward galley but it wasn't there either

Now surprise surprise that when I returned to my seat, my kit was sitting on my seat and my seat mate was "extremely busy" reading Hemispheres (and wouldn't even look at me for the entire 5 hour flight)

Bohemian1 Mar 23, 2017 8:14 pm

It's amazing what some people will stoop to.Maybe they've seen too many of them left behind, unopened, by people like me. But still...

UA_Flyer Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by jaa6921 (Post 28078496)
I recently flew BF from EWR to HKG. As we took off my amenity kit fell on the floor and sild down the aisle by about one row.

As soon as the chime went off, a passenger in the row behind swiftly jumped up, scooped up my kit, clicked open the overhead bin and pushed the kit into her bag! Lol. Slick and well practiced it seemed

When the FA came by i made a point to ask clearly if she had a spare kit since mine had gone "missing". The FA said they had all been given out. The thief said nothing!

So beware of ammenity kit collectors.

Funny i guess.

I find the new kits too bulky and have been leaving them behind instead of taking them off the plane.

OP, if you need one. Please PM me. I have a number of international flights coming up and will be happy to keep one and send it to you.

keitherson Mar 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Confront them next time...