Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cant book SFO-EWR nonstop in biz class in May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM

When I try to book on .com, an SFO-EWR trip the weekend of May 18, all of the non-stop biz class fares read Not Available. But the one-stops all quote fares.
Its the same on the Iphone mobile app.

Anyone else having this issue??? Any work around?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
When I try to book on .com, an SFO-EWR trip the weekend of May 18, all of the non-stop biz class fares read Not Available. But the one-stops all quote fares.
Its the same on the Iphone mobile app.

Anyone else having this issue??? Any work around?
This happens to me on LAX-EWR sometimes too... Curious what's happening there!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Set your search for economy. For some reason if you search for business, it won't show, but when you search for economy, it appears. I just tried it and could book biz RT 5/19-5/21. That was via the app, not the site.

Edit: Also, looks like some of the flights may have the 777-300ER which AFAIK is the only bird with the new Polaris seats so maybe you can try them out if you haven't already. :-)

Edit 2: Added screenshots.
Attached Images      

Last edited by saltydog75; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:29 pm Reason: additional note
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saltydog75
Set your search for economy. For some reason if you search for business, it won't show, . ....
Online business does show but in the middle column and that forces the 3rd column to be F which is not offered for PS flights
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Set your search for economy. For some reason if you search for business, it won't show, but when you search for economy, it appears. I just tried it and could book biz RT 5/19-5/21. That was via the app, not the site.

Edit: Also, looks like some of the flights may have the 777-300ER which AFAIK is the only bird with the new Polaris seats so maybe you can try them out if you haven't already. :-)

Edit 2: Added screenshots.
Okay, thanks. Yes, for whatever reason, when you choose the Business as the class, the nonstop Business fare doesn't show up. But when you choose Economy, the column does show up. I never really understood why people complained about the website, but now I get it! Crazy that you need to choose economy class in order to book business non stop fares. They need to fix that.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Okay, thanks. Yes, for whatever reason, when you choose the Business as the class, the nonstop Business fare doesn't show up. But when you choose Economy, the column does show up. I never really understood why people complained about the website, but now I get it! Crazy that you need to choose economy class in order to book business non stop fares. They need to fix that.
I see no problem in either app or web page. When I select "First" or "Business" on app and "First or Business" on webpage, I get the appropriate Business fare. If you're looking for First, there is no such thing on the route. I'm guessing confusion over front cabin nomenclature is the problem vs app/web problem.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I see no problem in either app or web page. When I select "First" or "Business" on app and "First or Business" on webpage, I get the appropriate Business fare. If you're looking for First, there is no such thing on the route. I'm guessing confusion over front cabin nomenclature is the problem vs app/web problem.
Known bug on the website reported a couple months ago..

Only applies for round-trip searches and yes, it will show two columns only (Economy and First) and show "not available" for nonstop p.s. Best workaround is to search Economy and book Business.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Best workaround is to search Economy and book Business.
I always search for Economy regardless what I'm actually looking for. You can still sort the results based on business class fares by clicking the heading in that column.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Happened to me earlier today and the two fixes suggested, searching for economy or using one way, cleared it up. Managed to score another couple trips on the 300ER which I thought would be no longer on that route so I was happy about that.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The "problem" is inconsistent search parameters. On the web site, you can select either economy or business/first. On the app, there are three selections: economy, business, and first. That's not good. You want to have a common search methodology across all of your interfaces. People who are used to the "business/first" single category on the web site won't understand why searching for first in the app doesn't show anything because their mind's been conditioned (by UA's own site) to lump business and first into one bucket.

I prefer the "business/first" search because generally you're either an economy or not economy traveler. I don't really care whether you call it business or first; I just want to know it's not a cramped seat with very little service.

Whichever they go with, it should work the same across platforms. I suspect they have different dev teams working on the two and they haven't harmonized the behavior.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
People who are used to the "business/first" single category on the web site won't understand why searching for first in the app doesn't show anything because their mind's been conditioned (by UA's own site) to lump business and first into one bucket.
I think the OP was having the same issue I was experiencing, that of not seeing any availability for business or first on the website, not the app. Once I switched it to economy it showed the business availability.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I always search for Economy regardless what I'm actually looking for. You can still sort the results based on business class fares by clicking the heading in that column.
Me too. Specifying J/F causes weird splits between p.s. and regular, as well as with 3-cabin aircraft. I'm never looking to spend $$ on UA int'l F so the Y search satisfies my needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.